concerns about driving

Completely disagree.

Both rides should be identical. I don't want you stressing me out with your driving at any time, no matter where we are headed. It's all about consistency. Same ride at all times. That way it is instinct, and not a specific effort you have to make at specific times. There is no decision to make about "how do I drive now?" You will get the same quality ride anytime I am behind the wheel, and I expect the same out of you or you are history.

Unfortunately, Dust, at our company, we have response ETA's to make. 8min, 59sec from time of call to ambulance arrival. If going to the scene, I'll do close to speed limit (or that's the goal). Transporting to hospital, I go slower than limit (unless it's 3AM and there's no traffic...then I can go normal. I've been called a grandmother after a code 3 transport before, though, so I don't think I'm overdoing it with speed....

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That time with no exceptions?

If this is an issue causing unsafe driving, then the company should look into re-designing the response areas.

I know, impossible. But we talk about both the fictional, and real worlds here :D

That time with no exceptions?

If this is an issue causing unsafe driving, then the company should look into re-designing the response areas.

I know, impossible. But we talk about both the fictional, and real worlds here ;)

Exactly. Except for those occasions where you have a driver that simply doesn't know his way around, long response times are a system failure, not a failure of the driver to drive fast enough. In fact, I've never ever worked anywhere that they would suggest people need to drive faster under any circumstances. That would be legal suicide.

If you are working in such a system, it goes without saying that your system sucks.

It's LA, of course the system sucks.

But yes, it does encourage driver's to drive faster. There are exceptions, but you need a good reason for the exception. I seriously believe you wouldn't even believe the kind of breakneck speed driving I've seen here, b/c most of you would have stopped the car and gotten out...but I was knew and thought that's how it was done.

Unfortunately, Dust, at our company, we have response ETA's to make. 8min, 59sec from time of call to ambulance arrival. If going to the scene, I'll do close to speed limit (or that's the goal). Transporting to hospital, I go slower than limit (unless it's 3AM and there's no traffic...then I can go normal. I've been called a grandmother after a code 3 transport before, though, so I don't think I'm overdoing it with speed....

I guess what I want to know is, does the patient get a free pizza if you're late?

I would like to clarify something in my last response. That was never meant to condone driving like an idiot or an asshole. That said, there is a difference between, for example, taking an extended time to accelerate (thereby sacrificing time for less g-forces on the patient and attendant), driving normally, and alternating between full accelerator and full brake to minimize transport/response time. The last can never be condoned. The distinction I was trying to make is between the first two styles of driving.

As a side note, Orange County has time tables for code 3 (l/s) and code 2 (normal) responses for emergency calls. Those times have to be met 90% of the time.

As a side note, Orange County has time tables for code 3 (l/s) and code 2 (normal) responses for emergency calls. Those times have to be met 90% of the time.

Almost every system and community has those standards. Although:

• 1. I've never seen them go after individual drivers over extended RTs. They go after the system administrator who is failing to provide proper coverage.

2. There is no scientific evidence to support those time standards. They are just randomly pulled out of somebody's arse.

• So again, I don't see how this applies to me, Joe Driver.

i drive all the time since i live on a farm...its not driving the ambulance that bothers me its...i just dont want to, im not into going 90 with L&S

I cant think of a single situation where 90mph would be justified, let alone necessary. I tend to not push it past 70. Kyle, you might try taking an EVOC (Emergency Vehicle Operators Course). It will help your confidence and dramatically increase your skill at driving the meat wagon. Once you get your DL in the first place that is. Dont worry, buddy. Once they get you behind that wheel even once, they will never get you out.

Are the EVOC classes always offer by the service? Can you take them before you get the job? I would be interested in adding an EVOC to my education even though I am not currently applying to ambulance jobs. I am happy, for now, getting my experience at a hospital.

Kyle, I [s:7b5716f808]don't think[/s:7b5716f808] know that 90mph is never needed, unless you are looking to cause your own emergencies. Trust me we got enough idiots on the roads already keep thinking like this and you may just be one less. :lol:

Are the EVOC classes always offer by the service? Can you take them before you get the job? I would be interested in adding an EVOC to my education even though I am not currently applying to ambulance jobs. I am happy, for now, getting my experience at a hospital.

yep they offer them every couple months.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.