Ambulance Vol Packing Up His Gear

Richard B the EMT

I totally just saw the correlation to EMS workers...I wasn't thinking about that when I wrote it.

Plus 5. :thumbright:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today as I was bumming around watching the NFL draft I thought, hmmmm, will any of the guys selected today say no money for me I am just here because I love the sport. I could not find in the history of the NFL since the merger in the 60's where anybody played for free. Football is a game they should play for free, but they don't. EMS is about peoples lives and as such should be a serious profession not something to be given away. If you want to help people do like the football players and donate money to groups that help many people.

I might get blasted for saying this, but it sounds like his heart was in the right place...

Congrats on his retirement.

... it sounds like his heart was in the right place...

What makes you think that? After all, don't all vollies - even the sixteen year-old, blue-light wankers - give the same story about wanting to help people? What makes this guy different?

What makes you think that? After all, don't all vollies - even the sixteen year-old, blue-light wankers - give the same story about wanting to help people? What makes this guy different?

Oh, I don't know. Benefit of the doubt. Not all vollies are wankers...

I nominate that as the stupidest comment of the current decade.

Fine you want to volunteer. I disagree with that choice. But you say you want to help people why not accept a check and donate the money if you really don't want it. This helps many people. First the patients you treat. Then the many that benefit from the charity you support. If you made $1000 a month and donated it all you could feed more than 33 kids a month based on one charitys ads. Wow you could really put your money where your mouth is and prove you actually do what you do because you love to help people.

Maybe this is what all volleys should do. At least then them giving away their paychecks would not affect my paycheck the way giving services away for free does.

After reading this again I am actually mad. He has a holier than thou attitude. What a jerk. If he really wanted to help people he would have chosen something that helped lots of people rather than a limited few. Again if he does not want the money accept the check and go put it into a charity.

Someone here (more than likely Dust) made the perfect analogy which I use often. If those caring souls in the community really want to aid their fellow man, they would be emptying trash cans for free, dishing out soup to the homeless for free, providing emotional support for victims of spousal abuse for free, running down to the local store for the elderly and infirm for free, shovelling snow for free....

I am paraphrasing, and yes I know these volunteer activities do happen, but not nearly on the same scale as EMS. The point was very well made, and changed my view on volunteering in EMS.

The prior post about volunteers becoming Paramedics (if they really cared about doing there best for their patient) vs staying a basic all their life, as they "have no time, due to work commitments" was also an eye opener for me.

You live and learn.

1) As the son of a teacher, grandson of an assistant principal, brother of a teacher, brother of a college professor, uncle of another teacher, and boyfriend of a teaching "para-professional", you should know teachers do not get paid for 12 months work for only 9 to 10 actually worked months. They only get paid for the 9 to 10 months, but spread over 12 months.

2) To any and all making nasty comments on the retiring volunteer "having his heart in the right place," do I need to remind any of you that most of us, wether volunteer or paid, got started in this line of work to help others? I seem to recall someone's "signature" on their postings in the City saying we are "Saving the world, one life at a time, and sometimes two at a time." (Whoever's line that is, I apologize for forgetting who you are!)

He couldn't move to Florida, there was no room left due to the influx of retired New York City school teachers!

My mom is breaking the law. She retired as a teacher, and did NOT move to Florida!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.