Paramedics working in a correctional facility

Hi - I was wondering about working in a correctional facility..as a paramedic, is the scope of practice the same as pre-hospital? Does our license cover us "inside" exactly as it does in the field? Are we supervised by the nurse in charge/supervisor, or are we independent?Thanks for any input....

I am from a small town our correctional facalities dont have medics working in them. They have LPN's and RN'S. But I am anxious to see other posts on places that do have them.

Terr

I would say your certification doesn't stop at the door. You don't automatically forget your training as soon as you step in there. Anywhere you work you are going to have a Medical Director of some sort. You would operate under his established protocols within the correctional institute. Of course check with your state rules and regs first. That is just my guess.

NYC has FDNY EMS EMTs working in NYC Department of Corrections facilities. They treat, as needed, the "Mates", usually when they are being processes on entry into either one of the jails on Rikers Island, or one of the "Houses of Detention."

If, in the eyes of the EMT, based on their findings and/or experiences, they feel that the patient has to go to the local ED, they'll care for the "mate" until an area 9-1-1 ambulance can be dispatched, clear security, and get to the "mate's" side.

For the EMTs, this is a "light duty" or "Reasonable Accommodation" posting, as the "mate" must move themselves, or a Corrections Officer (C.O) will move them until the ambulance crew arrives.

L.D, or R.O., are postings for EMTs who have long term injuries, like bad backs, and cannot lift, for an example.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.