FDNY related (kind of)

Whats the deal with FDNY tech's and putting iodine and surgical lube on private companies and hospital based ambulances. Lately there has been numerous discussion among crews that this has happened too.

ALSO. What is the FDNY's policy about patient's walking, into the ER ?

I'm not so bent on rules the guy with a laceration is getting carried in on a stretcher, but last week I watched a patient with head trauma and significant bleeding get walked into the ER. Normally I would think they were just being lazy, But this happened at Bellevue Hospital. I'm sure you are all aware of the FDNY ems station there.

Just curious if they have a lot of guts to walk the patient in without a stretcher, or they weren't required too.

Thx

No hate intended to the FDNY I love you all :D

Whats the deal with FDNY tech's and putting iodine and surgical lube on private companies and hospital based ambulances. Lately there has been numerous discussion among crews that this has happened too.

Of course I can't speak specifically to whatever situations you are referencing, but this is definitely not an FDNY thing. It's typical EMS immaturity that has been around as long as me. You gotta figure that most of the FDNY guys probably worked for privates before they got lucky, so they carry a personal connection to whoever they used to work for. I've seen a lot of n00bs strike out at their former employer's units and personnel once they hit the big time, thinking they are now somehow better than the others. I'd be checking the hospital security cam tapes and filing charges on a couple of those arseholes. That'd put a stop to it real quick.

Just curious if they have a lot of guts to walk the patient in without a stretcher, or they weren't required too.

Again, I can't speak for those guys or FDNY policy, but I've had more than a few patients who refused to be carried in, stating "I walked into this mother F'er, and I'm going to walk out!" Invariably, it's always some dude with a bloody head too. Go figure. It's not like you can stop them, so what are you gonna do?

Yeah, they're probably just lazy idiots, but hey... everybody gets the benefit of the doubt.

They've looked through ER security tapes in a few of the cases, and it seems to either be inconclusive as to who did it, or, the person is wearing something over there uniform, and n-95 and goggles etc... So no one has been identified from what I've heard.

Well of course some people insist on walking in, I can understand that. What I said was one example of many. I've seen the FDNY come blazing lights and sirens into an ER then a 60 year old woman walks out of the ambulance. Benefit of the doubt, sure, 60 year old woman arguing to walk, I just don't see it happening. Oh, and if she can walk, why were you on lights and sirens. I dunno, I just wanna know what the policy is on walking patients in. I'm sure someone from the FDNY will enlighten me :D

Again no hating on FDNY I love you, just amazed at what I see from some crews.

Not from the FDNY, but I"ll shoot out an answer to ya. Plain and Simple, people can refuse care at all levels. Well as long as they are A/O to person, place and time. So they could have just had their neck broke, but by god if they are NOT going to have a C-Collar than by god they won't. Their choice, your duty is to try and talk them into it, but if they won't just document. Now, I have seen this happen as well in different hospitals and you know darn well the Medics were too dang lazy to board and collar this person or carry them. In that case, they should be punished by their department, if not at a state level.

Not from the FDNY, but I"ll shoot out an answer to ya. Plain and Simple, people can refuse care at all levels. Well as long as they are A/O to person, place and time. So they could have just had their neck broke, but by god if they are NOT going to have a C-Collar than by god they won't. Their choice, your duty is to try and talk them into it, but if they won't just document. Now, I have seen this happen as well in different hospitals and you know darn well the Medics were too dang lazy to board and collar this person or carry them. In that case, they should be punished by their department, if not at a state level.

Okay, I guess I wasn't clear, I see examples of this multiple times a day. I understand some people just wont tolerate it, but i doubt 95% of there patients are not tolerant.

Tskstorm, could you please clarify what you said? Are some personnel putting stuff like KY on ambulance cab door handles? If they are, as indicated, it's just a stupid way of alleged "play". NYPD probably won't take a report, no matter which way the complaint is directed, "Muni" towards hospital ambulance, or either towards a community based VAS, or the reverse.

Somewhere on this site, I previously mentioned pranks being pulled on each other, by a Paramedic team, and a team from the NYPD. When the uninvolved Sargent got sprayed with the glitter powder in the patrol car's air conditioning ducts, both sides were called in, at the precinct, by the NYPD and FDNY EMS Captains together, and read the riot act: No matter who started the next incident, all 4 would be transferred out of their respective commands, and respective commands would bring charge packages against all participants. The glitter powder was the last one tolerated. Guess what? It was! Everybody then played nice in the sandbox.

Tskstorm, could you please clarify what you said? Are some personnel putting stuff like KY on ambulance cab door handles? If they are, as indicated, it's just a stupid way of alleged "play". NYPD probably won't take a report, no matter which way the complaint is directed, "Muni" towards hospital ambulance, or either towards a community based VAS, or the reverse.

Somewhere on this site, I previously mentioned pranks being pulled on each other, by a Paramedic team, and a team from the NYPD. When the uninvolved Sargent got sprayed with the glitter powder in the patrol car's air conditioning ducts, both sides were called in, at the precinct, by the NYPD and FDNY EMS Captains together, and read the riot act: No matter who started the next incident, all 4 would be transferred out of their respective commands, and respective commands would bring charge packages against all participants. The glitter powder was the last one tolerated. Guess what? It was! Everybody then played nice in the sandbox.

KY, iodine, surgical lube, perhaps other substances that have yet to be identified ... they are getting smeared on windows, mirror's windshields, etc..... ya know I'm not a jerk I can play pranks like the rest, but a prank is usually done with mutual participants. I prank you, you prank me. Not random hit and runs, well okay, some. Seems this is becoming the standard. We didn't report it to NYPD, was reported to a supervisor who said get a bucket of water and wipe it off and get back out there. They later played the security tape and could not tell who had done it. Really no harm no foul, was curious if it was some sort of message, sort of a we're FDNY we don't like you go away type of thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Well of course some people insist on walking in, I can understand that. What I said was one example of many. I've seen the FDNY come blazing lights and sirens into an ER then a 60 year old woman walks out of the ambulance. Benefit of the doubt, sure, 60 year old woman arguing to walk, I just don't see it happening. Oh, and if she can walk, why were you on lights and sirens. I dunno, I just wanna know what the policy is on walking patients in. I'm sure someone from the FDNY will enlighten me :)

Sounds like any other NJ BLS squad, unless the driver is educated in the proper use of lights and sirens. :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.