alcohol IVP?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I transported an 8 year old who drank antifreeze. Her dumbass dad put the antifreeze in a coke can.

She required a 10% alcohol drip for a trip to the pediatric specialty center.

she survived but had some lasting mental issues. Her dad spent 6 months in jail for child endangerment.

what about straight out of the bottle alcohol? anyone heard of anyone doing that?

I have never heard of anyone in EMS taking alcohol straight from the bottle. 8)

Has anyone ever heard of anyone taking alcohol IV? I was discussing the alcohol nebs with someone the other day when they asked me if you could give alcohol thru and IV. I wasn't completely sure if it would work, or be safe(safe as in not loosing your arm safe) I had heard in medic school that grain alcohol IV was the tx for anti-freeze poisoning... any thoughts?

Oh and I just remembered I saw it on House for the same thing

Yes, an Ethanol IV Drip is indicated for treatment of methanol poisoning. As I remember from medic school, methanol itself is non-toxic; however, its metabolites can be lethal. Since the liver has a much greater affinity for metabolizing ethanol, medical treatment requires "getting the patient drunk" until the kidneys excrete all the methanol.

Would mixing up a bag of D5W and Everclear get you drunk? Most definitely. Would it be safe? I'm not gonna try it!! I'd be more afraid about injecting the unknown impurities into my bloodstream.

That's right, i.e. methanol's metabolites are lethal. Methanol becomes formaldehyde, which damages the retina, making you blind, and breaks down further into formate, which is a neuropoison, if I recall correctly.

I have never heard of anyone in EMS taking alcohol straight from the bottle. 8)

Perhaps this saves having to wash the glass ? :shock:

Personally I would not have any idea what the results may be :oops:

That's right, i.e. methanol's metabolites are lethal. Methanol becomes formaldehyde, which damages the retina, making you blind, and breaks down further into formate
And if you survive that, you have to worry about formaldehyde being a carcinogen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.