Vehile Lighting

try a very small town, very large rural response area.... Thanks for those who actually know how to make an intelligent response...

I know how congested those rural roads get, I totally understand your need for lights.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to know someone can relate...

I hate to see good sarcasm goes to waste like that. :?

I am not wanting a total decked out car... I just want something discrete that isn't always shown or visible... but something that moves traffic...

Get a job. They'll give you an actual emergency vehicle to drive so you don't have to build your own.

Just buy a cheap light for dash. Nobody will move anyway. They ignore the lights and sirens on ambulances and they will ignore your car. Might consider flashing your headlights as you aproach vehichles to help get attn. Remember you are asking for right away, they don't have to give it.

Glad to know someone can relate... I am not wanting a total decked out car... I just want something discrete that isn't always shown or visible... but something that moves traffic...

Derek

Not always visible??? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? If your going to put devices on your vehicle, then they need to be visible 360 degrees. As others have said, check with your insurance company first, many do not want an inexperienced 18 y/o driving with emergency warning devices. Plus in a rural area, why do you need one? Traffic isn't an issue, you could probably drive the speed limit without them (really no need to go any faster), and on a side note, you may also want to check with your vehicle manufacturer. Several will void your warranty if you add aftermarket equipment, especially anything electrical.....................

Glad to know someone can relate... I am not wanting a total decked out car... I just want something discrete that isn't always shown or visible... but something that moves traffic...

Derek

Derek, honestly, how long have you been reading these forums?

I am not trying to bash you bud, but seriously, if you have looked through these at any length you would have known what kind of response would have been coming.

Are you an EMT? What are your plans for the future? Do you have any goals to continue in the medical field?

I have been in the field for around a year and have loved every minute of it.

I am not exactly looking to do it as a career but it if I fall into the position I might atleast for a while. I am planning on moving a ways away before too long and figured that if all else fails I have that as something to fall back on otherwise will try to find a volunteer dept.

I will continue my path into law enforcement.

Thanks for the replies and no offense taken the last :lol:

Derek

Whoever posted that people don't move out of the way, must, like me, be from New York City area.

When folks see that big grille with the bulldog on it filling their rear view mirror, from the following fire company, they fear, unrealistically due to rules (darn!), that they might get rammed, so they move out of the way. When they see the LEO-mobile, they realistically fear a ticket.

However, what is an ambulance crew going to do to them? Or a car with a blue or green light on the dash (Volunteer Fire POVs can be approved by their owner's departments to run a blue light, Volunteer Ambulance Services likewise for green in New York State)?

Sometimes, they don't, or worse, won't, pull to the right to allow any duly authorized emergency vehicle to pass.

Side note: Under NYS Vehicle and Traffic Laws, a POV displaying green, blue, or amber lights, is not allowed to go through a red traffic light, anyway, unless they have a REALLY good relationship with the LEOs. Within NYC, where there are at least 7 community-based VFDs and 30 VAS still operating, that relationship is tenuous at best.

you just hit the catch a shit load of flack button with that post.

lol :shock:

I have been in the field for around a year and have loved every minute of it.

I am not exactly looking to do it as a career but it if I fall into the position I might atleast for a while. I am planning on moving a ways away before too long and figured that if all else fails I have that as something to fall back on otherwise will try to find a volunteer dept.

I will continue my path into law enforcement.

Thanks for the replies and no offense taken the last :book:

Derek

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.