Dealing with vomit, my personal nemesis!

Hey guys,

I've been working in EMS for awhile, and I have been lucky that I have not had many patients who have been vomiting, because I am a really bad sympathetic puker! I can handle all sorts of other nasty stuff that the human body can produce, but it's kind of bad when a patient starts puking, and I have to stand ther and tell myself "do not puke on the patient, do not puke on the patient!" Does anyone have any suggestions on dealing with this particular nemisis and oh so fun part of our jobs?

Kevin

this might sound a little odd but if you are expecting the pt to puke, try and puke before you get in the ambulance, maybe that will settle you down a bit.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are one of those that puke just at the sight of someone else puking ask your partner to handle it and turn away. Be the gopher.
I'm sure your partner appreciates that! :D

I'm also not a big puke fan. I seem to deal with it ok however. except for the time the pt. was vomiting stool. Yea, I lost it. I have to agree with Dust. Any GI bleed is quite possibly the worst smell I've ever experienced up to this point.

I use large Kentucky Fried Chicken buckets to catch the puke, then lid and bag it (or the homeless get "curious" outside the ER). Vicks to dull the smell. Put the head sets on so I don't hear the retching. The retching noise gets me more then the actual vomit.

Hate GI bleeds.

I have a major issue with melena stool...find it to be a personal insult upon my delicate senses.... Copious amounts of vanilla essence (not ingested) can mask the odor of vomit... Why do such delicate upstanding members of society like ourselves have the burden of sensitive noses...i should've been a fox hound!

I take it you have not had a patient with a perforated bowel yet. :)

No I haven't. Can't say that is one experience I look forward to either....but meh, it's part of the job I chose to do! Thanks to all who have given suggestions. I'm definitely going to give the gum, and vicks suggestions a try!

Kevin

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.