Calgary EMS - Work to Rule

EMSEDU

I am assuming because of the oil boom, not only has the dollar become almost equivilent to US dollar, but has also caused the massive growth and increase in the COL. What is it now? 95 cents to one US dollar?

And looking into the possibilities and options of crossing the border, the wages and cost of living would, at best, average out to be the same. Northern Idaho itself is going through a massive growth spurt and cost of living is getting higher. Maybe the strike, if it happens, would be a wake up call to the world that EMS anywhere is a very valuable profession and should be taken more seriously.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me, but I happen to live in Calgary, I was born here and have lived here all my life.

The fact our lovely city has over grown to what it is now, 1 million or more and still counting.

If you own a car, sell it because the roads are wall to wall and the cost of living here is pathetic, to take transit, the cost is $2.25 a trip, now the transfer is worth a 90 minute stop over, so you can stop over, do things that need to be done and go back home all in that time frame. When I was going to school, that never existed for us.

I own a house, it's all paid off, but the cost of getting someone to mow you're lawn isnt cheap, someone to shovel your walks isnt cheap, to take a cab(taxi) isnt cheap, to take an ambulance isnt cheap, oops refer back to taxi rides . . . . .priceless.

So you want to live in Calgary, eh? Good luck, you either have a degree under your belt or get stuck working 2 or 3 jobs in the fast food industry just so you can survive here. I wish they all went Edmonton, basically they can have it.

Big deal Calgary is the blooming oil biatch of Alberta, who cares, the cows keep getting fatter, the Exec's keep getting fatter off of us.

Here's a word of advice, dont move here,sure we are like only 90 minutes away from the Rocky Mountains, but if you do move here, you'll be sorry you did.

I Have enough headaches, I dont want anymore. . . .please fire the Mayor, he's an idiot!

Hi, Welcome to Calgary, where those who are insane enough to stay, and those who have yet to arrive.

What exactly is this "work to rule" thing?

It's funny how the newspaper uses the term as if it is something that everybody knows, and doesn't require definition in the article. Is that the case in Canadia? It sure isn't in the U.S.

Work to rule means that thw workers do not do anything beyond the absolute basics. The job description for the Paramedic is what the Paramedic does. No more no less. That means they don't go out their way to help anyone out, they don't do anything not required of them, and of course, they don't do any overtime. Now, I don't work for CEMS, but I do know that a lot of the workers do pick up extra shifts, either because they need the money, or because CEMS is desperate. The work to rule itself will have a huge impact on everything.

its' more and more clear.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who complains that the cost of living is too high. If you don't like it move.

That being said, there are just times taht you cannot move and need to stay where you are. Be it family ties, not being able to find work elsewhere or a myriad of other things.

I truly feel for the workers who are not getting paid what they should. I have always said that I'm for hire, if you make me a better offer then my current employer is going to need to match it or I'm gonna fire him. Hey, he can fire me for any reason right?

I do think that EMS is definately a essential service and should be protected but not to the point of going on strike.

Like I have always said, in the end, the public and patients pay.

I have never supported any type of work stoppage or strike because deep down, no matter what anyone says, it IS DEFINATELY ABOUT THE MONEY.

If you go look at every strike that has occurred over the years and I can bet that 95% of them or better had money as the bottom line. Either wages or some financial betterment as the basis. (no sources just my opinion)

I wish the workers the best but if it harms one person as an end result if a strike is called then Shame on them, Shame on everyone involved from the City down to the employees of the ambulance service.

its' more and more clear.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who complains that the cost of living is too high. If you don't like it move.

If everyone followed that advice, they would have no employee's left.

The problem as I see it, speaking from first hand experience, is staff feel undervalued, under paid and can't afford to survive.

Calgary and Edmonton are the two fastest growing cities in the country, which subsequently compounds increases in call volume and service demands. They are also the two hottest economies with the highest increases in consumer price index (inflation, cost of living increases.) What the City of Calgary is offering doesn't even keep of with the inflation.

The result is that new staff can't afford to establish themselves (vacancy rate at all time low while rent and house prices at all time highs.) Add to this, people that have been employed for a number of years can't even afford to stay.

So in order to make ends meet, I have to sell my house, up-root my family and leave family and friends to go somewhere where I can afford to live? (Which by the way is at least 2-3 hours away to get out of the economic market). I also have to leave a department where I have dedicated 12 years of service, through no fault of my own?

At the end of the day, something will need to be done to offer incentive to attract new employees in addition to incentives to retain existing staff to keep them from leaving. From what I understand staff turnover and attrition is at an erronious level these days. If you want to talk about service delivery impacting morbidity and mortality (in the event of a strike), what about a system that can't possibly sustain itself into the future?

That being said, there are just times taht you cannot move and need to stay where you are. Be it family ties, not being able to find work elsewhere or a myriad of other things.

I truly feel for the workers who are not getting paid what they should. I have always said that I'm for hire, if you make me a better offer then my current employer is going to need to match it or I'm gonna fire him. Hey, he can fire me for any reason right?

Kevkei, please use my entire quote in your response instead of just the one that you want to use to try to prove your argument. I said that there were myriad reasons for people not to be able to move somewhere else. See text above this paragraph to show what I meant.

another misquote

if you don't like it move

but I then listed out some reasons why you couldn't move. I never said or stated that "if you don't want to move don't"

Please give me a little credit

you sure you read it right?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.