Facial Hair and OSHA?

So, at my current job the only facial hair we can have are mustaches. We were told it was an OSHA rules, so that facemasks would fit us properly.

I recently heard that other services in the state don't have this same rule, "apparently" due to their union fighting for the ability to have goatees (which I used to sport pre-EMS job).

This doesn't seem right to me, though. How could a union have any say over a federal regulation? Or is it really not a federal regulation and our company is giving us a false reason. What's your policy on facial hair?

We must be neatly groomed. Long hair is OK, as long as it is neat. Facial hair must be neat and trimmed.

There are quite a few men who have beards, with about half being goatees. During hunting season, the number increases.

Keep in mind that volunteer firefighters in my area are allowed to do interior firefighting with beards. It is due to religious beliefs, and they must document a prior tight fit test. Also, volunteer female EMS providers can wear skirts.

No, OSHA cannot be violated because a union negotiated.

Yes, you do need all facial hair removed for use of respirators. Ill post the pertinent parts of the OSHA statute.

The only negotiable part is if OSHA is a recognized entity with your state, allowing them to come down and apply fines for violations. If so, the to allow facial hair will be a immediate poor financial decision by the company, if OSHA were to find out.

If your state does not quantify as an OSHA state, then the only liability is when one of the staff gets hurt, and it can be traced back to your company being in non compliance with the OSHA "standard of care.

Then, your company is still liable for not complying with the standard. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't if you will....

Seeing as I am sitting in an OSHA standards class right at this moment....lol.

CA is not an OSHA state. They chose to create and abide by their own standards. CALOSHA is their rule book, so I a not familiar with what their standards are.

Facial hair can be allowed provided they are able to demonstrate a proper fit test. Several FFs won this argument in FL as they had beards for religous reasons.

Please bare in mind, I am quoting the Federal OSHA standards not CAL OSHA, however the rule is up to the employer on a case by case basis as referenced in the 1st link below. As long as it does not interupt the seal it is acceptable. I worked for a department that had this rule in effect and several of us had goatees, but we had to wear them pretty thin around the mouth and high on the chin.

From an employer perspective, it is easier and safer to just make the blanket rule that no facial hair is allowed and it also helps promote a positive looking image of your staff. From a personal perspective, why risk your safety and wellness just for a certain look? Will it have been worth it the one time you break the seal unknowningly and expose yourself? Yes, the chances are slim but is it worth it?

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.sh...&p_id=19263

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.sh...&p_id=25342

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/respirator...afiles/faq.html

Q: If employees have a beard or moustache, is their respirator still effective?

A: Tight-fitting facepiece respirators must not be worn by employees who have facial hair that comes between the sealing surface of the facepiece and the face or that interferes with valve function. Respirators that do not rely on a tight face seal, such as hoods or helmets, may be used by bearded individuals.

The EMS agency I work for doesn't require us to be clean shaved, as well as them not even doing a fit test on us. When I worked in the local hospital though I've completed one with a good fitting with a goatee. I was given the choice of having a self contained hood and filter if I wanted it though. Is that something they could do instead?

Respirators...as in the N95s? Because that's really as much protection as we have. We don't have those masks that are fitted to your face or that have an actual filter on them. And anything can get through the sides of those N95 ones...they don't really fit your face.

Respirators...as in the N95s? Because that's really as much protection as we have. We don't have those masks that are fitted to your face or that have an actual filter on them. And anything can get through the sides of those N95 ones...they don't really fit your face.

You have to be fit tested for N95 respirators to ensure you can get a tight fitting seal.

PRPG

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.