Newbie w/ a ton of questions...

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa I thought I was the only one close to 30 who's just starting her EMT-B training :) Good to know I'm not alone. This forum is awesome I started reading it a few days ago just to see what I'm getting myself into but I'm more inspired than ever to sign up for the class. I'm starting from scratch, I don't have any friends or family in the field and never even thought about doing it until I met a couple of cops and firefighters, started listening to their stories, reading the forum and Devin's books and watching Discovery Health all the time. It seems like no matter how underpayed they are or how dangerous or nasty their jobs can be they are the ones that truly enjoy going to work or volunteer every day. I don't think I'm a cop or firefighter material but I'm confident that I'd do a good job on the ambulance. We'll see, I think it's worth a try, even if I'm the oldest one in the class :)

Whoa I thought I was the only one close to 30 who's just starting her EMT-B training :) Good to know I'm not alone. This forum is awesome I started reading it a few days ago just to see what I'm getting myself into but I'm more inspired than ever to sign up for the class. I'm starting from scratch, I don't have any friends or family in the field and never even thought about doing it until I met a couple of cops and firefighters, started listening to their stories, reading the forum and Devin's books and watching Discovery Health all the time. It seems like no matter how underpayed they are or how dangerous or nasty their jobs can be they are the ones that truly enjoy going to work or volunteer every day. I don't think I'm a cop or firefighter material but I'm confident that I'd do a good job on the ambulance. We'll see, I think it's worth a try, even if I'm the oldest one in the class :)

Hell I'm 45 and I just finished. And before anyone asks, I did not start when I was 25. lol

I'm turning 38 tomorow and have 2 kids ages 5 and 7

I completed my masters degree in in Environmental Science in '95 but while I was in school, joined a local volunter ambulance squad and became an EMT-B. Knew at that point that I wanted to go on in the field. Completed my EMT-I in '96, enrolled in medic school in '04 and completed it this past fall...now working ful time as a medic...

You CAN do it.

Hell I'm 45 and I just finished. And before anyone asks, I did not start when I was 25. lol

Haha! It is unfortunate that you even have to say that. But with all the losers I see taking the test 4 to 6 times, a year after they finished school, you have to wonder if it might take some 20 years to get it done!

Several of the women in my current EMT-B course are way older than 33. I'm 30 myself, actually. I've found that at this age, the information sinks in a bit better, and I've gotten over the "I know it all" stage. (Nobody knows it all, and nobody has seen it all.) I took some EMT-B courses 11 years ago, and feel that I'm much more mature now. (heh)

So, no, I don't think that your age will be a problem.

You know, I dunno about that one. It might be a geographical thing. In my class, I'd say that nearly 1/2 of the class are women of various ages. The youngest one I know of is 19, another is 36, and there are a couple that I believe are in their early 50s.

I first took my EMT back in 1973, got my state license and my Nat'l registry and kept it active for probably 12 years along with the other things medical I was doing at the time. I've recently retook the class and relicensed/ reregistered. I'm planning/hoping to go on to EMT-P in the next couple of years.

I turned 54 the 10th of this month.

As long as you can mentally and physically do the job for the people you work/volunteer for/with, I say 'Go For It!'. Maturity brings it's own benefits to this field.

• 2 months later...

When I was in nursing school, I had several classmates who were in their 40's, had an empty nest at home, and were finally free to pursue their dreams. Go for it!!!

• 5 weeks later...

It is definetly a realistic goal to become a medic @ 33. However, before you are employed even as a EMT you will probably have to do some volunteer time. Most places around here prefer 2 years of volunteering.