Newbie w/ a ton of questions...

Never too late, or too old, as long as you can handle the physical challenges - I plan to continue towards my paramedic when I retire from teaching in 4 years - I have been in EMS for only 6 years part-time and volunteer now, and have really enjoyed the Basic experience. If it is something you really want to do, you will find a way to do it! Good luck!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the wonderful world of EMS!

No, you are not too old. I started at 30yrs, got my EMT-I, and now at 33 I just graduated Paramedic school. The lifting will come with some technique.

An EMT-B does not pay all that well. I wish I could be nicer about it. The average paramedic starts out at around 38k down here in Atl, GA.

If you need the money more a non emergency service will usually pay a little more as they know where more of their money is coming from and when.

Have patience, and never stop learning. Now that paramedic school is done in a few years I will be headed to Nursing School! An RN starts out at a minimum of $25 hr. Once you have a specialty it jumps up between $5 & $10 hr. Now keep in mind I am talking about RN's not LPN's. An LPN can make average to good money if they find work in a nursing home. LPN's start out at about $13hr in the hospitals in my area.

Most services will make room for you to continue your education. If they do not, find another service.

Kevin

Welcome to the wonderful world of EMS!

An RN starts out at a minimum of $25 hr. Once you have a specialty it jumps up between $5 & $10 hr.

Kevin

Not always..!!!! It too depends upon your location! I know many RN's with all the whiz bang titles & 10 yrs experience, that are only making $25 an hr. & that is a nighttime shift as well... Most travel nurses make between $25 -35/hr avg, but usually only have 13 week assignments & usually no benefits & usually require a minimum 2 yr experience.

I went back into the field so I could make more money.. seriously.. I make the same yearly and work PRN as a RN, so my salary is much more than usual staff as PRN. In the Midwest, most RN basic rates start at $16-18/hr then yes, with shift, week-end, and cert's can add up .. not all hospitals pay for specialty certs..(the most I ever got was a $2.00 hr difference with 5 specialty certs..that is why so many do not take the test) and usually most new grads start at nighttime (until you pay your dues) or someone dies or does not like working with the brass or management.

The old saying "If it looks too good... it is!" ... be cautious on every profession...

R/r 911

Never too late, or too old, as long as you can handle the physical challenges - I plan to continue towards my paramedic when I retire from teaching in 4 years - I have been in EMS for only 6 years part-time and volunteer now, and have really enjoyed the Basic experience. If it is something you really want to do, you will find a way to do it! Good luck!

I am with you there If you want something bad enough you will scarfice and bust your A** til you get it....It doesnt matter how long it takes to get there as long as you get there,,,,,

Howdy,

I just turned 32 and will be starting my EMT-B class at the end of May. I too have already paid my school bill, got my books and uniforms. I wish you the best of luck! If I can do anything to help, please let me know.

Randy

• 1 month later...

As far as starting late in life....you're starting EARLY. I finally caved in and did the EMT thing after twenty six years as a firefighter when it appeared we might lose our EMS due to shortage of folks out here in the boonies. I was 50 when I tested, so you're just a kid. LOL

• 3 months later...

Is it crazy to think that I could be an EMT-B and even progress on to an EMT-P at the age of 33? PPPPSSSST! Im 33. Became an EMT-B ayear ago.

-Has anyone ever heard of other women my age starting this career? Im One! I was a school bus driver for Four years. Got sick of 70 psyhotic children.

-Is there any gender/age bias in the field (or in school) that I should prepare myself for? Off the record of course. Not that I have found. Might be different in other states. My problem is Firefighters here in AZ. All think they are Gods.

-The first chapter in my textbook states that I "should be able to lift and carry up to 125 pounds". I can do 80 so far, will that be a problem for me in school? I wont have my ride along until mid July. Im sure I can get there by then. Shouldnt be a problem for school. I know that the company I work for wanted you to lift 125lbs but you are using your legs to lift. Mainly I do lift but its the gurney that I am lifting.

-My school only does one 10-12 hour ride along at the end of the program. When you were a student did you feel that was enough in the field time? Do people ever get more time if they volunteer for it? Im sure you can ask around to different Ambo companies or even firestations and you can do ride alongs. Im planning on doing a ride along or rather a fly along with a local Air ambulance.

-What is the harsh reality of actually finding employment (at any rate of pay), as a fresh EMT-B grad? I had no problem getting hired. I even had an interview with Southwest Ambulance here in AZ even before I got my cert.

-Is there anyone else who has ever gone through my similar situation and is in California? Im in AZ

-How many of you went to a trade school (or vocational school) versus a junior college or university? I went to a community college for my EMT class.

Hope all this and other people's answers have helped you!

Keri Sweeney

WELCOME to your second career..... best of luck to you in your endeavor.....I know of several people ,,, M and F who started EMS late as a second career..... its never to late.. being older you probably arent in it for the guts and glory, but for the more altruistic reason of wanting to help people....

You can do it.