Typical hours/shift?

See...now that's just funny right there.

Dwayne

Acknowledge...... ](*,)

I am also registered with my gov't as an EMT. However my education level is Primary Care Paramedic, could we at least call each other paramedics in hopes that some day our gov't will recognize we are no longer EMT's.

I don't know Alta education standards very well but here is Sask there is a huge difference between EMT & PCP.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the long and short of it is that there are so many different ways to work the schedule that is a really difficult question to answer. I don't think there are many places in Ontario that still work 24's (not to say there isn't any). There are two common schedules that most seem to use... 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on then 3 off with every other weekend being off. The other is to hard to explain other than it is a 28 day schedule with 7 off in row... but you have to work for it with a 6 day split in the middle.

Don't know if that helped or just confused you more... I might actually be confused now

I guess I should have said that they are 12 hour shifts.

Also I think we should show each other the respect of calling each other paramedics. How do we expect to gain respect from the gov't or public if we don't give it to ourselves... just a thought

The other is to hard to explain other than it is a 28 day schedule with 7 off in row... but you have to work for it with a 6 day split in the middle.

Don't know if that helped or just confused you more... I might actually be confused now

emt2emca,

Are you talking about the Dupont schedule? I found this link that shows it. There has been discussion about us doing something like this. Frankly, I like my 24 on, 48 off and hope it remains in place.

http://www.sleepnet.com/shift2/messages/692.html

I've worked two different rotations in Ontario services.

First,

2 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off, 3 on. this alternates between nights to days each two week pay period.

Second (my current rotation)

5 off, 5 on, 2 off, 2 on. This repeats from days to nights as above. I never work Mondays and Tuesdays. I work every Wednesday and Thursday. I have every second weekend off from Friday to Tuesday.

We end up working 84 hours/pay period, but only get paid for 80. Therefore every few pays I get equalization days. They usually give us the 2 day block off which gives us a stretch of 9 off total. It's like multiple hoildays throughout the year. Add in your 2 weeks vacation and if you time it right you can get almost the whole month off.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.