Electronic PCR's

Hello everyone. I'm new to EMT City so forgive me if this topic has been discussed. I am part of my employers "team" that is in charge of researching and purchasing electronic charts for both the EMT's and medics to use. I (we) have done much research but I just wanted to get some opinions from those of you who may already be using electronic charting. Are there any reccomendations or warnings against or for any particular systems out there? Thanx in advance for any feedback. -Sam

Okay, I'll be the one to ask. What is PCR? In my world it's polymerase chain reaction, a method in molecular biology to amplify a preselected bit of DNA (genomic or complementary) to study gene expression (like in tumors vs. normal tissue) or for looking for gene mutations...

^

Ha. Common problem with acronyms. I can say the same thing about BP (bipolar/blood pressure). In EMS a PCR is a patient care report.

Ahh. There have been discussions on an expanded scope of practice for EMS, but I did think the polymerase chain reaction was a stretch...

This probably might not help. FDNY EMS uses an E-PCR, or Electronic Prehospital Care Report. It is a scannable paper PCR that we put thru a scanner, correct what the machine thinks it is reading, and transmit the information to our billing agency. Then, the paperwork is physically transported to our storage areas at the HQ building, where the lawyers can subpoena it if needed.

While I personally don't really like the thing, we're on our second vendor's version, as the chiefs have more sway than do I.

We use EMSTAT, I highly recommend it. ( http://www.med-media.com/ems/emstat.shtml )

A friend uses EmsCharts ( www.emscharts.com ) when he does the flight medic thing. He loves it, literally I'm afraid. The whole thing is internet based, no software to install, can write your chart from anywhere, etc etc.

Stay away from a product called Amazon. I think they changed the name to Suitesoft. The company started out doing billing software and expanded into the electronic PCR business. We use their billing software and liked it so we tried the PCR software. It was a very expensive nightmare. Not user friendly. The program didn't flow well at all. Despite hours of one on one training our employee's, and trainers, just didn't get it. The software wasn't compatible with "Terminal Server" (computer geek stuff that I dont understand) even though they told us it would be. Customer service was non existent.

We just started using emscharts, seems easy enough to use. I am having a hard time adjusting to the concept of charting by exception.

It so goes against the "write a book" style I've used all my career that it just feels wrong. I guess I'll adjust.

We just started using emscharts, seems easy enough to use. I am having a hard time adjusting to the concept of charting by exception.

It so goes against the "write a book" style I've used all my career that it just feels wrong. I guess I'll adjust.

Hey stranger!! How's the North, eh?

We used EMS Desktop at Underwood. I loved IT!! If you treated someone before at that particular medic unit, it would bring up all their old information, if you wanted to use it. All those frequent fliers you have makes for an easy report. That charting system was the best I've seen so far. We use something called Emergency Pro 3.5 and it sucks. Miserably. Once I got the hang of it, it was east to use, but the print out looks like a simple hand typed chart. It just looks unprofessional to me. The Underwood one, had their patch on it, and it lists everything very professionally. I would recommend that one to anyone. I have no experience with emscharts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.