Opinions from N.Y.C personnel on puertorican day parade?

Perhaps even other similar holidays.

This week, my supervisor called me and asked if i could pick up a shift riding with a medic this upcoming Sunday, without any hesitation I agreed. Later that day I was discussing the extra shift with my partner, and he was surprised I would agree to work during the parade. When he mentioned the parade, is the first time I realized I had agreed to working during the parade. I wasn't planning on attending or doing anything special during the parade, but I was warned by other coworkers that it is a truly hectic day.

Not having experienced any holidays or events as an EMT, only as a student/third (cinco de mayo and new years eve, both in red hook brooklyn.)

I was wondering what I should expect, what types of calls? How bad is it in reality? Is this another EMS "fish story" (the one where the fish grows in size as the story is told, and in the end is 1000 times larger then it originally was)? Just looking for general opinions on holidays/events.

Oh and before I get ripped on this post, 1, yes people not in N.Y.C. could help but I really would like to obtain information from personnel who have worked the parade and to my knowledge the parade is only in N.Y.C.. 2, I did a search but didn't find anything on this event, although I didn't search on other events, I'm going to venture to say it has been discussed, but again I mostly wanted specific advice but all advice welcomed.

Thanks!

Well having just looked it up on google “ 2 Million people lined the streets and participated in the parade in 2006” btw, that’s a hell of a lot of people in one place!

Having only attended a parade with 120,000 people I really could only imagine what happens. Mostly medical related stuff cardiac, diabetics, collapses, seizures, people tripping over the gutter or being pushed over, crush injury’s from the crowd pushing, a lot of people forgetting to take their medications or not eating cause they were in a rush, lost kids, environmental conditions play a big part. Know your way around, know were the toilets are ect… People always ask stupid questions so be prepared lol. God forbid but with that many people there’s a chance of terrorist activity…

EDIT: Btw, make sure you look after your self, enjoy the day and get the best seats in the house!

Well having just looked it up on google “ 2 Million people lined the streets and participated in the parade in 2006” btw, that’s a hell of a lot of people in one place!

Having only attended a parade with 120,000 people I really could only imagine what happens. Mostly medical related stuff cardiac, diabetics, collapses, seizures, people tripping over the gutter or being pushed over, crush injury’s from the crowd pushing, a lot of people forgetting to take their medications or not eating cause they were in a rush, lost kids, environmental conditions play a big part. Know your way around, know were the toilets are ect… People always ask stupid questions so be prepared lol. God forbid but with that many people there’s a chance of terrorist activity…

EDIT: Btw, make sure you look after your self, enjoy the day and get the best seats in the house!

I'm not directly working the parade, but the parade runs from 44th to 86th st on 5th ave, and the medic ambulance usual spot is 5th ave and 90th so being as we are going to be that close I'm assuming we will get calls from there. I don't know for sure, just want to be prepared if need be ;)

thanks for your advice ...

http://timelines.ws/20thcent/2000_C.HTML

2000 Jun 11, In NYC’s Central Park young male gangs attacked some 47 women with harassment, molestation and robbery during the annual Puerto Rico Day parade. Some of the assaults were captured on home video. 16 of 60 suspects were arrested over the next week. Some police officers also faced discipline for lack of response. (SFC, 6/17/00, p.A6)(SFC, 6/19/00, p.A2)(AP, 6/11/01)

http://nyc.metblogs.com/archives/2006/06/b...up_its_pu.phtml

http://www.prcc-chgo.org/paseo_publication...ng_prparade.pdf

In June 11, 2000, after the successful completion of the Puerto Rican Day Parade in New York, a group of men sexually attacked more than fifty women passerbys in what has been now named the Central Park wildings.

http://timelines.ws/20thcent/2000_C.HTML

2000 Jun 11, In NYC’s Central Park young male gangs attacked some 47 women with harassment, molestation and robbery during the annual Puerto Rico Day parade. Some of the assaults were captured on home video. 16 of 60 suspects were arrested over the next week. Some police officers also faced discipline for lack of response. (SFC, 6/17/00, p.A6)(SFC, 6/19/00, p.A2)(AP, 6/11/01)

http://nyc.metblogs.com/archives/2006/06/b...up_its_pu.phtml

http://www.prcc-chgo.org/paseo_publication...ng_prparade.pdf

In June 11, 2000, after the successful completion of the Puerto Rican Day Parade in New York, a group of men sexually attacked more than fifty women passerbys in what has been now named the Central Park wildings.

I can't even comment...

Good articles though. Makes me glad I don't live there.

NYC isn't the only place that celebrates a Puerto Rican Parade/festival. Its essentially a huge street festival, think MCI. No one goes anyplace except the closest appropriate hospital, don't go off in to a crowd without your partner, or better yet, let them bring the patient to you. If you aren't assigned to the event, you would be called in as a transportation asset only, so don't get too excited about it. Stay alert, stay alive.

First let me wish you good luck.... LOL

I have worked the Puerto Rican Day parade, St. Patricks day Parade, and numerous other special events. And while these 2 stand out in my mind as some of the busiest days, there are many others as well, New Years eve, as well as I think the domincian Pride parade, sometimes Gay Pride parade is also busy, as well as the many many summer concerts that they hold in Central Park..

For the Puerto Rican Day Parade, I will tell you this,, expect to see bumper to bumper traffic, as well as a very HEAVY volume of foot traffic, you will be extended going even a few blocks near the parade route. It is not uncommon to take 20-30 minutes to travel 1 block. Expect a lot of Alcohol overdoses, as well as hostile crowds when you arrive on the scene of certain calls, especially if it takes you a long time to get there.

Back in the day I used to work 14G, (PAR of 59/5) and we handled the parades a lot. My partners and I used to carry 2 short back boards in the cab of our bus, that way we had shields when we exited the units and were pelted with glass bottles.

It's also not a bad idea to carry your helmets with visors in the front seat to give you added head protection.

It's is also one of the days where we would scoop up most patients (usually intox's or isolated injuries, NOT C-spine) and place them into our unit and lock the doors before providing any treatment. While this is not the greatest of patient care, remember that you and your partner come first. You can't treat a patient if you get assaulted by an angry crowd.

I would also suggest that you remember not to take sides with the police. Many times that caused problems with the patient, bystanders, family members, etc. Just tell the crowd you are here to treat the patient, you dont care who was right or worng and you're not taking any sides....

Some of the things we did during these parades, was no supervisors were allowed to work alone, and a lot of times after loading a patient, we would leave the scene and drive a few blocks away from the crowd before evaluating the patient.

whoever is driving remember to use caution, because striking a drunk or sober pedestrian can easily start a riot and make you a target for an angry drunk mob.

These events are about as close as you will get to combat without being "in country" if you know what i mean ... best advise i can give you is to keep your wits about you, and maintain "situational awareness" at all times.

If you have any additional questions feel free to ask or PM me.

The only events I worked on O/T were one time on the 9th Avenue Food Festival, and at least 3 times in the Family Reunion Area at the end of the New York Marathon.

This year, I didn't hear of any problems at the Puerto Rican Day Parade, but heard of a 12 year old girl killed by a hit and run driver in, I think, Newark, NJ, at a different national origin pride parade (sorry I forget the specific).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.