Patient Care (or lack there-of) Attn. Va. providers

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have now added another area to my list of "where not to get sick or hurt".

Since when does "area" equal "state"?

I don't see "state" mentioned here. She mentioned owning property in the state. But she mentioned nothing regarding visiting other areas of the state due to perceived problems with EMS. She simply mentioned this one particular area to which she was visiting.

It seems that those throwing the stones should learn how to read and grow some thicker skin.

-be safe

Unfortunately I now own property in that state. How comforting!!

You can honestly tell me you do not think this statement is meant to include the entire state?

Yes. I can.

You're adding one and one and coming up with three.

OC knows of one area, from a state in which she owns property, that she won't visit. She made a point to specify the difference between the two. If she meant the entire state sucks then she would've said, "I have now added another *state* to my list of 'where to not get sick or hurt'."

But she didn't say that, did she? She made it a point to say that it was a specific area in a state in which she owns property. Why are you people so bent out of shape?

Is it because you recognize yourself in the description of the EMS providers she provided?

-be safe

I have a couple of problems with this post.

The writer says he went to check on the pt. but the EMS crew was already on the scene.

Why didn't the writer notice the pt.s' condition and treatment when he was on the scene, It seems to me that the writers curiosity would have allowed a second look.The writer had the knowledge that the call was called in as an unconscious person and we all know that aint good.

The writer says he does not care what other providers do but he notices that the cot is empty and what equipment was on the cot.

Why was the writer in position to see the cot come back downstairs ?

He went from the 7th floor to the lobby in the time the EMS crew was treating the pt ?

The writer says he ran into the spouse of the pt later on.

I would take that to say he knew the pt and the spouse, again I don't understand the relationship, if he was able to determine the spouse of the pt. from the scene, he should have noticed what kind of treatment the pt. was getting.

Why would the spouse ask his opinion ?

The writer has stated no one would know he was in EMS by his dress.

I belive that there is more to this story than just what we were told.

I can not draw a conection between the call and the pt. going to the hospital, the pt. was not unconscious when the EMS crew arrived or they would have loaded the pt. on the stretcher and been headed to the ER.

The pt.'s condition obviously went south sometime after the call, how many hours after the call is the question.

The writer says the call took place in the afternoon but the pt. did not go to the ER until 2 am ?

A lot can take place in 8 hours, did the pt. suffer for 8 hours ?

I say 8 hours because if the call took place before 6pm then I would call it afternoon, after 6 pm would be evening hours, we could be looking at a 10 hour window here, the EMS crew could have transported the pt. to the ER and if the symptoms did not worsen in the ER, he would have been back at the hotel in the same time window.

I do not defend the EMS crew going in under equipped. How many times have you responded to an unconscious and found a DOA ?

MTNMAN:

You should go back and actually read what *she* wrote. Your questions and observations reflect nothing more than a casual glance with little to no actual reading of the post in question.

A little more thorough reading and a little less speculation, along with some common sense thinking, might help you to better understand what happened here.

Remember what happens when you make assumptions.

-be safe

I do not defend the EMS crew going in under equipped. How many times have you responded to an unconscious and found a DOA ?

I don't know. But I do know that everytime that happened, I wished I hadn't wasted my time and energy carrying all that equipment with me. :lol:

My Turn,

Most of you who know me, know that I very seldom post. I read the sites to get new insite as to what is new out there, what issues are being brought to the front, and to learn new tips from others.

My point in this post is not to bash providers from a state as a blanket statement. As I see, some providers from Va., did read this post. Good! Thats what I was hoping for. And for those of you who took offense, you will survive, trust me. If thats the first time you have been offended by a statement, stay in EMS a while longer, you will get used to it. Maybe someone who works with the ones on this call or even the providers themselves will see this and think twice next time! I know there are many good providers in our country as a whole and I am very proud of our chosen profession.

What worried me the most about this was I feel that anywhere anyone is in this country, no one should ever worry about the care they or their family may recieve in an emergency. I have the same high expectations for hospitals and all health care providers!

I am happy that you all read this and your input is appreciated. If nothing else, it got people thinking. Enough said.

Be safe,

OC

I don't know. But I do know that everytime that happened, I wished I hadn't wasted my time and energy carrying all that equipment with me. :lol:

I think it is more embarrassing to not bring in equipment that ends up being needed, than to bring it and not need it.

As for the Press Corps, "If it bleeds, it leads." They would go after all EMTs and Paramedics due to the errors of one or two, and I think the phrase is "Being tarred with the same brush".

If one of a group does something either embarrassingly or dangerously dumb, then all of the group are embarrassingly or dangerously dumb.

I had some of that, when I worked for the summer of 1970 at a McDonald's. One of the other workers was angry that I would take a job slinging hamburgers, due to me being Jewish, as, by the "fact" that I was Jewish meant I was financially rich, and was taking the money away from a "more deserving" African- American or Puerto Rican. Mind you, I was the only Jew working that store that summer, she was the only one of Italian decent, but I didn't start mouthing off with "Mafia" jokes at her expense.

(All these years later, Rosie <not O'Donnel!> I still have a part of my heart that really hates you!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.