Whats a good paramedic textbook?

Hi,

While I may be “just” an EMT-B, I enjoy learning, and like to know what is going on with my PT better.

So I decided that I will read a paramedic textbook (I know the dangers of this, but I believe I will not attempt to “diagnose” anything), I just like knowing whats flying when the medics show up.

I see that there are many paramedic textbooks around, which book (Mosby, Brady, Etc…) would you recommend for clarity and ease of understanding.

Thanks

The easiest to understand is the AAOS Nancy Carolines Emergency Care in the Streets. Paramedic books have been discussed on here a bunch. Do a search for more input.

If your not going for paramedic really don't think its good idea to try and study paramedic book. Would be better to study shock in all it's forms. You may be tempted to try what you read without getting the education and training needed.

Are you going to take paramedic?

Personally, I hate Nancy Caroline's text (may she RIP) the Sydney Sinus makes me wonder about the role of medicine. As others will discuss a good basic background in science first will expand one's knowledge base and develop an understanding of medicine.

R/r 911

The Caroline text has led the rest of the paramedical education publishers into the realm of the graphic novel. Yes, it is simple and perhaps easy to understand, but it gives nothing to the reader in the way of usable information.

Skip the paramedic text altogether. You can find better information from a 12th grade biology book. Pick up a copy of McCance and Huether's pathophysiology text. Much more useful than anything else you may think you need.

Brady is the best, by far. But you really won't get a lot out of it without a course leading you through it, or some sort of organised study programme. If you do the workbook along with it, then -- if you have the discipline and aptitude -- you can learn a good bit from it. I don't think I would recommend this kind of self study. It's a pretty individual thing that may or may not work for you. But if you do it, definitely use the workbook as your guide. You're not going to get anything useable from just randomly reading from the textbook.

AAOS is like pre-paramedic, lol. It would be good for what you are talking about. It's like taking dummy math when you're not quite ready for Algebra. It will give you some very, very basic concepts that will be simple to understand and helpful to you, but even full understanding of it doesn't put you on par with a seriously educated medic. Taking paramedic from AAOS is like earning a green belt in Karate. It'll give you just enough knowledge and confidence to think you know what you're doing and subsequently get your arse kicked.

Altogether, I'd have to agree with AZCEP, as usual. A better knowledge of human anatomy and physiology will serve you so much better than an hodge-podge of medic knowledge with no foundation of understanding. And really, how long have you been practising EMS? Are you really convinced that you know enough about your current level to start spending time worrying about somebody else's job? If so, you're probably fooling yourself.

Brady's a decent book, but if there's going to be pictures I'd suggest something other than 1980's vintage. Wooden backboards and Lifepak 10's in 2007 EMT and Paramedic textbooks? Come on. Also, whoever programmed the test generator needs to be put up against a wall.

Brady is the best, by far.
I was talking to a guy in medic school right now. Apparently, his school switched to Mosby's b/c Brady's had too many contradictions. That's what he said anyway...it's going to be the one I'll be using if I go to the medic school I'm planning on...But I guess that's for another thread.

Brady's a decent book, but if there's going to be pictures I'd suggest something other than 1980's vintage. Wooden backboards and Lifepak 10's in 2007 EMT and Paramedic textbooks? Come on. Also, whoever programmed the test generator needs to be put up against a wall.
The pictures are for illustration purposes only. I hope you could overlook the pic of the wooden backboard and the LP10. We use Zoll and the picture of the LP10 didn't hurt me any. :wink:

If your school or instructor is using book generated tests, I'm sorry to hear that. It just basically paraphrases the text. The medic classes I attend ( and I'm sure there are many others), the tests could be on anything from obtaining baseline vitals to pharmacology to scenarios. Like Forrest Gump said, "you never know what you're gonna get".