New EMT

My old partner got a new job. This leaves me to fill his old position (ALS instead of BLS-I'll have my I/99 in about a month). In the mean time I have to break in my new partner, who will continue in my old position. She just got her certs about a month ago. I think she's got good potential however she is very passive. If you ask her to do something she'll do it. Otherwise she just stands around. How do I get her to start being more confident and get us working as a team rather than the current situation? I understand it takes time to get used to a new partner especially if you are new to EMS but as it stands right now I need help to speed this process along. ANY suggestions would be appreciated!

stand back and let her carry out the diagnosis and the treatment on some cases, if you stand back and tell her to do it she will gain the confidence to keep doing these things, remember that you are there to assist if she has any trouble or is unsure.

don't forget that we were all once new to this job, and we were small wide eyed and scared on our first calls

help her out, show that she has an input to the treatment your patients receive

stay safe

• 3 weeks later...

Tell her in advance the next call she can tech, she WILL tech. Throw her into the fire. It's time to sink or swim. It worked for me and I"m sure everyone else on this site, we all swam, or tried too, lol. As long as she's putting forth effort I wouldn't worry about her too much. It is very intimidating having your first EMS job fresh out of school. (We all remember) I really don't think you can speed it along to much, but set her free and see how she does.

Dan

I also suggest that you tell her to think ahead. that she should think of things that have to be done, and that can help you with the patient or even before you reach the patient.

Example: moving the mat when you first come into the patients house.

Or making sure the patient has their medical card before transport.

Little things will help keep Emt's on their toes and make sure they give the best care possible.

Aaron

• 2 months later...

I agree with the others. When I got my cert i had already logged 50 calls in my agency being just first aid and assistance. so by the time i had my card and was ready to run calls as a Basic, the Level III on my shift threw me into a call by myself with a driver, of course, it was a Basic Call, but never the less, it gave me the confidence that if i had to, i could run a call, and it made me familiar moreso with what i have to do, whether there is an ALS provider on the rig or not. I say let her run on her own on the next Basic Call....

Just do what you have been trained, if you need to work on things, your partner will tell you. Be ready to get constructive critisism. Remember, when your a new EMT, you can ALWAYS become better. Just show that you know your stuff, stick to your guns, and dont second guess yourself, be confident

• 2 weeks later...

Sboykin, do what they said to do in class, and just be ready for some to say that's great, and some to say, no, that's not how we do it here. Keep an open mind and a thick skin; you will need both when you err (and it'll happen). Don't stress the mistakes -- learn from them and drive on. When you know what to do, do it. When you don't, ask. Good luck.

• 5 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.