Fractures

I had a case last tonight that made me think of you guys (man, I have no life :lol: ). If you have a pt in the field with say an ankle fracture with vascular compromise, are you allowed to reduce it?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One attempt.

Minimal education with overall theory being straighten the leg until periphery gets veinous blood return, then strop and splint in place.

The is a EMT and/or medic "skill".

Im not saying its right, but we can do it.

How about with an obviously fractured ankle without distal pulses? There is really nothing to straighten, but the pt needs a reduction.

That is all the education on reduction that most prehospital providers receive.

"One attempt to reduce, then splint in place." Nowhere in the curriculum is it mentioned to properly align the bone ends, techniques for application, or how to best splint the injury site. "One attempt..." and move on.

As I best understand it, the attempt is designed to get the bone ends back into their neutral position without damaging the vasculature. Unfortunately, the right way to perform this isn't taught very often. :roll:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.