Precepting boredom: macro photos from the drug box

fiznat

Preceptorship is sort of like a field internship. And in some places, the terms are interchangeable. Usually, the distinction is in the timing.

Most times it is done after all of the classroom requirements have been fulfilled. Sometimes not. But it is always before graduation, wheras a proper internship would generally be after graduation.

A preceptor is usually the senior medic that is assigned to guide and evaluate you through your preceptorship/internship period. However, sometimes there is no one single person assigned this task, and you rotate among several crews.

haha thanks guys!

To answer a few questions:

Yeah we do carry a lot of lasix. Our standing orders for pulm edema are dependent on whether the patient has taken their perscribed lasix for the day or not. If they have, we give them their normal dose (or usually 40mg if they're not perscribed it). If they have taken their normal dose, we give twice that dose-- up to 200mg.

The jets for the epi are in a pouch that is between the two sections that I took pictures of. Sorta like a flap that sandwhiches in there. I didnt take a shot of it though cause it's not really that interesting, just a clear case with the plastic jets, nitro paste, few other things. The big jets that are next to the D50 are for the D50 and bicarb only... they're much bigger than the ones needed for the epi, atropine, and lido.

We dont carry pedi concentrations for any of our drugs, so if the need arises (and it very rarely does), we'll just mix it up in the buritrol (sp?).

"Precepting" around here describes a mini-internship that is run through our medical control and employer. Basically, I have completed both class and national reg, I have a state licence and I passed the written protocol exam. I need to do 30 or so calls with a preceptor/experienced paramedic/mentor (or more depending on the type/quality of call) as a 3rd rider on my company's ambulance before I am cleared to work as a "cut-loose" paramedic on my own.

Yeah the thomas packs arent my favorite. It seems most people around here use them though, despite the fact that they often fall apart and the elastic things get worn down allowing all of the vials to slip. We've got new StatPak bags at our company though, so hopefully we'll be getting those drug modules soon as well.

• 1 month later...

How often do you have broken ampules/sryinges/glass carrying meds in that type of configuration?

And one unrelated question: Is Chief Austin still in power up there?

When i was looking at the naloxone, it clearly says protect from light, i know that several meds deterierate from light exposure, but why isnt narcan in a brown bottle or dark blue such as promehtzine???

just a thought

Fireman1037 8)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.