Do you transport or not?

Transport patient to lunch or what?  

67 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes all requests for transport are transported
    • No we would not transport no need to call MC
    • We would provide taxi voucher
    • We would call MC to request not to transport

MFF/R = Master Fire Fighter / Rescuer. Some FDs call that position "Lead Fire Fighter" others "Fire Apparatus Engineer", still others call it "Chauffeur," and there is squad boss, crew chief and so on.

--

Tom Horne

Thanks for making that clear. We try to get people to spell out as seems every place uses so many different codes.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The medical director doesn't work for any ambulance company or fire department, he is hired/appointed by the county EMS agency (county "EMS" is administrative only in this sense). As far as sand bagging, if I'm telling an anecdotal story that is bordering on being off topic, than I'm going to keep it as short as possible. Sure, I could have wrote a thesis about how California and Orange County EMS is set up and the problems with it, but I figured that most people wouldn't want to read it every time I tell a story.

He who lives by the spell check will be embarrassed by the spell check. In my dictionary the word is spelled "criticizing".

And in my dictionary, it is "criticising." I don't speak American. I speak English.

But I withdraw my criticism. You didn't really misspell anything. You just flat out used the wrong word. Not sure which is worse.

MFF/R = Master Fire Fighter / Rescuer. Some FDs call that position "Lead Fire Fighter" others "Fire Apparatus Engineer", still others call it "Chauffeur," and there is squad boss, crew chief and so on.

And some FDs use none of those. I never heard of them. Must be a northern American thing like snow and transit stations.

While you're on a roll, perhaps you can tell us what "priority three" means?

While you're on a roll, perhaps you can tell us what "priority three" means?

Is that your lights and sirens or a taxi ride patient? Priority 3 here is taxi ride. Priority 1 your family will probably be making funeral plans. Priority 2 serious but not deadly serious yet, but give me time I'll get you there. :lol:

To respond to the ? does my service get paid if the pt or the pt insurance doesn't pay answer no. That is another thing the company keeps track of and can cost us our jobs and that is our collection rate. Lets say we get paged to a homeless person with difficulty breathing, not going to get paid on this one right. Well that goes right on our collection rate stats. My job hangs on several different factors that have nothing to do with pt care. I have only been with this company for a short time and I came from a city owned ambulance company that rated you only on pt care and encouraged you to treat and release and it was ok to refuse transport to some one with no medical need, we were taught that we were the gate keepers of our over stretched ER and with that came the responsibility to make sure that the one that did not need emergency care did not compromise the one that did need it. What I have seen of the private sector ambulance so far seems to me that they are selling a product and that product is transport to the hospital regardless if one needs it or not. At the company I work for now we are judged on transport times the shorter the better, collection rates, dry run percentages, and if are charts are written so it can be billed. If you can see pt care in those standards let me know because I need something to justify my job so I can sleep at night

To respond to the ? does my service get paid if the pt or the pt insurance doesn't pay answer no. That is another thing the company keeps track of and can cost us our jobs and that is our collection rate. Lets say we get paged to a homeless person with difficulty breathing, not going to get paid on this one right. Well that goes right on our collection rate stats. My job hangs on several different factors that have nothing to do with pt care. I have only been with this company for a short time and I came from a city owned ambulance company that rated you only on pt care and encouraged you to treat and release and it was ok to refuse transport to some one with no medical need, we were taught that we were the gate keepers of our over stretched ER and with that came the responsibility to make sure that the one that did not need emergency care did not compromise the one that did need it. What I have seen of the private sector ambulance so far seems to me that they are selling a product and that product is transport to the hospital regardless if one needs it or not. At the company I work for now we are judged on transport times the shorter the better, collection rates, dry run percentages, and if are charts are written so it can be billed. If you can see pt care in those standards let me know because I need something to justify my job so I can sleep at night

Dude you need to find a new job. A company that tells you to write reports so you get paid is wanting you to ad or leave out info in order to defraud. A company should only ask for an accurate, readable report. Careful that you don't get caught for fraud. Also having job based on number of transports and collections is BS. They will never balance out. If you have to transport everyone the majority will probably never pay. Your da.... if you do da.... if you don't.

THERE IS NO PT CARE IN THOSE STANDARDS.

HOLY CRAPOLA BATMAN - you can get fired if your collection rates on the patients you transport don't pan out?????? So if you have a run of patients who are homeless and cannot pay the bills then you get canned.

There is no patient care support in your service - it sounds like if they can't pay the bill then you are urged to no-service them? is that a correct assumption????

If not please correct me but this is one of the scariest posts I've ever read.

I am assuming this is a private ambulance service right? You need to run away, fast a quickly from this service.

This begs the question, what are the collection agents or billing people like to the people who cannot pay their bills?

No we still transport even if wew know that it is unlikely that they will pay because the tax code allows the company to write off 60% of the uncollected money. The resulting un payed bill can still get me fired but we do still transport the person. I would like to get a new job but I am still in the paramedic program and it is hard to find a job as a intermediate with only five years as a lead emt for a intermediate level transport agency. most places want paramedic