• Yes all requests for transport are transported
    • No we would not transport no need to call MC
    • We would provide taxi voucher
    • We would call MC to request not to transport

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not necessarily. Our system isn't designed to transport people to mental health. We have a seperate hospital for mental health patients and as long as they haven't tried to do anything to themselves and just want to go to mental health, it's a police matter and they transport. Not to mention that Mental Health won't accept ambulance patients.

The OP also didn't say anytning about this scenario involving a mental health problem. I referred to this person as a wacho because it sounds to me like he/she is.

Plus, if you read my post fully, you'd have seen that I stated a patient is defined as anyone with an injury or MEDICAL COMPLAINT. So, to answer the question, no, just because they're not bleeding doesn't mean they don't have a medical disorder. I'm a firm believer that stupidity on this person's behalf is an incurable disease;) We don't transport people for lunch specials, simple as that.

1.Wow, so somehow a person with a medical complaint [last time I checked, psychiatry is a medical field, and more and we are finding out that more and more psychatric disorders have at least some roots in neurological dysfunction, example: sensory gating deficits in schizophrenia and bipolar disorders] that the police can handle better than medical personal?

2.A. You brought up "mental health," so I can ask you the same thing. If the OP didn't bring up mental health problems, then why did YOU bring it up? Especially since you are basically saying that people with psychatric problems are WORSE than people just looking for a taxi ride [see bolded statement]. While you might have meant a psycatric hospital, your post did not indicate that.

2.B. Just because you're area seems to think that mental health problems are best handled by the police doesn't mean that every other area thinks the same.

You know, this is why I stopped posting here for so long. Assholes who like to come on here and blast one another for every little OPINION. You aren't reading my posts completely so I don't see a need to keep this crap up. You're right, he didn't mention mental health in his initial post but someone else did, that's why I mentioned it. I've tried to keep an open mind but apparently no body else has.

I never said mental health issues were strictly police matters. NEVER! I sure as hell don't need you to school me on what a medical condition is so just keep that crap to yourself. I'm very aware that mental health issues are medical conditions so thank you for you input, next time keep it to yourself if you're going to try to educate me on something as basic as what a medical condition is.

You didn't read my post fully. People who call us just for transport to Mental Health get taken by the police. NOT MEDIC. Mental health doesn't accept ambulance patients. How many times do I need to state this?

So much for coming back to this site and expecting things to change.

Later.

• 2 weeks later...

I would transport this guy and then see if I can get him on a 72 hour hold unless there seems to be some other medical reason for his insanity. If he need to get to the hospital for the lunch special, then he should get in a car or a bus like a normal person and get there. Also, if he knew in advance about this lunch special, why didn't he start earlier to get there. This is absolutely weird and that is why I would transport him and have him 5150'ed at the ER.

Just my thoughts and I am no professional yet.

Take care,

Bombera

I would transport this guy and then see if I can get him on a 72 hour hold unless there seems to be some other medical reason for his insanity. If he need to get to the hospital for the lunch special, then he should get in a car or a bus like a normal person and get there. Also, if he knew in advance about this lunch special, why didn't he start earlier to get there. This is absolutely weird and that is why I would transport him and have him 5150'ed at the ER.

Just my thoughts and I am no professional yet.

Take care,

Bombera

Gracias. Great idea. Thank you and everyone else for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

I work for a private EMS service that receives no county funding. We do have a contract with our county that guarantees all 911 medical calls are routed to our dispatch center. Our county has one of the highest poverty levels in the state of Indiana. So we receive a lot of 911's that could go by other means. Our goal is to provide good quality service to all who request. So unfortunately we would transport the patient. Lucky for us we have at least 3 24 hour rigs on duty at all times they are different levels of care. So if this situation came about for us we would send our lowest level of care and retain the paramedic units for more "EMERGENT" type runs.

I enjoy reading your posts and since i am our training officer i will sometimes use them for or continuing ed in services.

Keep up the good work and keep us thinking on our toes.

I work for a private EMS service that receives no county funding. We do have a contract with our county that guarantees all 911 medical calls are routed to our dispatch center. Our county has one of the highest poverty levels in the state of Indiana. So we receive a lot of 911's that could go by other means. Our goal is to provide good quality service to all who request. So unfortunately we would transport the patient. Lucky for us we have at least 3 24 hour rigs on duty at all times they are different levels of care. So if this situation came about for us we would send our lowest level of care and retain the paramedic units for more "EMERGENT" type runs.

I enjoy reading your posts and since i am our training officer i will sometimes use them for or continuing ed in services.

Keep up the good work and keep us thinking on our toes.

Thanks for the input and complement.

I would transport. keeps the legalities at bay, even though there wouldnt be any successful legal actions taken, for refusal to transport, why bother with the hassle? if the person wants a $500 taxi ride, let him have it, its not my $500. :)

I would transport. keeps the legalities at bay, even though there wouldnt be any successful legal actions taken, for refusal to transport, why bother with the hassle? if the person wants a $500 taxi ride, let him have it, its not my $500. :)

Actually it is your $500 dollars because if he doesn't pay it costs you in pay raises, it costs you in taxes, it costs you when you need medical care because you will be charged more to offset non payers. Someone willing to call for no reason will probably not pay and unless your service is into fraud you will not be paid by medicaid, medicare, or private insurance. So we all pay, every non paying transport costs every one of us. I don't mind assisting a person with a real need but I don't want to pay for a persons high dollar taxi ride.