Do you transport or not?

Transport patient to lunch or what?  

67 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes all requests for transport are transported
    • No we would not transport no need to call MC
    • We would provide taxi voucher
    • We would call MC to request not to transport

As much as I hate getting these calls, plain and simple what can ya do? Your dammed if you do and dammed if you don't. My simple saying is this, I'm sure everyone's heard it, "You call, we haul". Now, I'm in complete content in calling sherriff's office to have them handle and explain the procedure to the pt that insurance anit gonna cover it, you will end up in triage, (almost all priority 3 pt's who are not backboarded and are taken to the ER, are sent to triage before they even see a bed) and you'll get sick of waiting and sign out AMA. But the sheriff's dept. they'll just "accidently" find something wrong with her (cough cough, opps mam I didn't see there while I was opening my door") and then calls us back. So plain and simple, "You call, we haul". To be honest it helps us out at the end of the year based on our call vloume. And with our 67% (I think national average is roughly 47%??) revenue recovery rate for a 3rd service government operated county EMS agency which operates on a 48 million dollar / fiscal year budget, it helps me keep my job :lol: and the taxpayers happy. BTW our trucks have the "magic button" they stay locked not matter what.

Approx. 38% (28,500) of 75,000+ calls here can absouletly find other means of transportation.

Just another day here in God's Waiting room.

If I had my way, we wouldn't even get on scene fire would cancel us, they tend to be a good voice ( the only thing they're good for) every now and then. :D I'm not always bright and shiny though, so if you call me at 2 in the AM for BS aka "My ankle hurts, it felt like pins and needles, numb (I'm rolling my eyes by this point) and now it's hurting a little bit, I think I might of hurt it when I kicked my flip-flop off, can you take me to the ER so I can get seen quicker?". No deformity no edema, please do not expect a smiling face. Our agency is supposed to be trying a new taxi voucher program for these people. Don't know when it's coming but word is it will be soon.

Ok hack away!!!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I still disagree with transporting this goof anywhere except county lock up for abuse of the 911 system.

As for people who are going to ask about what to do to cover our liability, our protocols clearly state that a patient is defined as someone with an injury, or medical complaint. Last time I checked, a person saying they're hungry and want to go to the hospital for a food 'special' doesn't constitute a medical complaint. Hense calling the police for them to intervene. I don't think for one second that our medical director is going to jump in anyone's junk over not taking this wacho to the hospital.

We have plenty of calls that people think by calling for an ambulance that they will get immediate transport to the hospital or worse, mental health and then they are gently educated by the police on how to use our services:)

Well, I still disagree with transporting this goof anywhere except county lock up for abuse of the 911 system.

As for people who are going to ask about what to do to cover our liability, our protocols clearly state that a patient is defined as someone with an injury, or medical complaint.

We have plenty of calls that people think by calling for an ambulance that they will get immediate transport to the hospital or worse, mental health and then they are gently educated by the police on how to use our services:)

Err, wouldn't a mental health complaint count as a medical complaint? Just because the person isn't bleeding doesn't mean that a medical disorder doesn't exist.

As original poster I ask that you adjust the entire scenario to caller is perfectly healthy, no trauma, no medical, no mental, and we are 100% of this, I know in field no such thing, but for this scenario we have benefit of whatever means you choose, including a phone your god card, if you choose to use and you find caller 100 % okay just wanting a ride to hospital for lunch. Do you still take caller or not?

I have had similar situations... however i do not let the pt in the ambulance, i simply explained that this was not an emergency situation and that we could not transport a person for lunch.. i was concerned that the pt hay have a bs problem or hear trauma as well as any good emt would..... alzheimer was also a thought that entered my head.....

Err, wouldn't a mental health complaint count as a medical complaint? Just because the person isn't bleeding doesn't mean that a medical disorder doesn't exist.

No, not necessarily. Our system isn't designed to transport people to mental health. We have a seperate hospital for mental health patients and as long as they haven't tried to do anything to themselves and just want to go to mental health, it's a police matter and they transport. Not to mention that Mental Health won't accept ambulance patients.

The OP also didn't say anytning about this scenario involving a mental health problem. I referred to this person as a wacho because it sounds to me like he/she is.

Plus, if you read my post fully, you'd have seen that I stated a patient is defined as anyone with an injury or MEDICAL COMPLAINT. So, to answer the question, no, just because they're not bleeding doesn't mean they don't have a medical disorder. I'm a firm believer that stupidity on this person's behalf is an incurable disease;) We don't transport people for lunch specials, simple as that.

I deal with this on a weekly basis. In a lot of remote reserves in Saskatchewan and Alberta, the band council pays for ambulance transport. We get frequent flyers who have absolutely nothing wrong with them, calling, basically for a free ride into town. Policy has kinda wavered on it a bit, in the beginning it was transport everything, then it was no transport unless needed. People started calling with SOB, Chest pain, etc... If a patient wants to get there by ambulance, they'll make something up. If I were to be doing that exact scenario, doors locked or unlocked, you're kinda screwed either way, you're gonna have to unlock something at some point. If I was in town, it would be a quick scoop and drop, no wait times, make him sit on the bench or airway seat so you don't have to change the linens, dump him off at the ER, he'll check himself out, no waiting, minimal paperwork, out of service time is under 15 minutes. If I was the only unit out in the boonies (where I usually am), especially the only ALS rig, I'd be a bit more hesitant, most likely calling MC for advice....and then he'd complain of chest pain and I'd end up taking him anyway.... I think the moral of this story is, no matter what....you're going to lose. Even if you tell him to go take a long walk off a short plank, there is a good chance something is going to hurt and you'll end up hauling him off anyway...

No, not necessarily. Our system isn't designed to transport people to mental health. We have a seperate hospital for mental health patients and as long as they haven't tried to do anything to themselves and just want to go to mental health, it's a police matter and they transport. Not to mention that Mental Health won't accept ambulance patients.

The OP also didn't say anytning about this scenario involving a mental health problem. I referred to this person as a wacho because it sounds to me like he/she is.

Plus, if you read my post fully, you'd have seen that I stated a patient is defined as anyone with an injury or MEDICAL COMPLAINT. So, to answer the question, no, just because they're not bleeding doesn't mean they don't have a medical disorder. I'm a firm believer that stupidity on this person's behalf is an incurable disease;) We don't transport people for lunch specials, simple as that.

Yesterday I added a post that we have positive proof nothing wrong, just person wanting ride for lunch. We don't transport for lunch because supper specials much better, see we do put patient first. Just kidding would not transport as only wants ride to lunch.

....and then he'd complain of chest pain and I'd end up taking him anyway.... I think the moral of this story is, no matter what....you're going to lose. Even if you tell him to go take a long walk off a short plank, there is a good chance something is going to hurt and you'll end up hauling him off anyway...

Thats for sure thats for darn sure. When we do deny someone a taxi ride they sometimes wait until they are sure we've gone to sleep (I swear they must be watching) and then call with a complaint and so they still get the free ride they wanted, just to late for lunch, but oh well breakfast is the most important meal. As far as plank walking those nasty shark bites really make a mess in my ambulance.