Already treated in Mexico - What Would You Do?

spenac

Do you transport? Explain answer in comments.  

17 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Again mother said "no concern" that required ambulance other than her illegal status. Do you need medical complaint to transport or are you just transporting illegals?

As far as need more ambulances and staff I agree but thats another gripe for another day. But even if we had one ambulance for every house in our 2000 square mile plus primary coverage area is there any way to justify this transport.

And please note I have not brought money into picture, we assume we will not be paid. But as another point to ponder do you feel medicaid would pay for this? But again we are not concerned with payment at this time, just more to ponder.

If someone wants to go to the hospital I would take them. There may not be any immediate medical concern, but still the mother wants the child taken to the hospital.

The fact that she is an "illegal" should make absolutely no difference in the treatment that she receives.

As a Canadian, I have no idea if medicaid would pay for that or whatever but does that really matter? Are you paid on commission?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If someone wants to go to the hospital I would take them. There may not be any immediate medical concern, but still the mother wants the child taken to the hospital.

The fact that she is an "illegal" should make absolutely no difference in the treatment that she receives.

As a Canadian, I have no idea if medicaid would pay for that or whatever but does that really matter? Are you paid on commission?

Patient has given no medical complaint, if there is a complaint legal staus is never a question. The patient is not illegal as is indicated by her having medicaid. The patients mother is illegal and her being illegal is again the only reason being given for wanting to use ambulance. The patient obviously has legal family as they took her accross the border and back and thus could take her to hospital in USA. Again only concern given for ambulance is mother is illegal and can't pass the checkpoint. As additional info if mother were to cross back into Mexico then come to port of entry with her child she would probably be issued a temporary medical pass to take her child who is USA citizen to the hospital unless she is wanted for some crime.

Not paid commision but thats an idea, just kidding again not about the money just a point to ponder on medicaid.

As an illegal immigrant, by transporting you are risking INS seizing your patient, your ambulance, your partner and you.

They are empowered to place all illegal immigrants, and those that assist them in custody.

No, I would not have a problem transporting the child and mother, but I'd be very careful who I broadcast the information to.

As an illegal immigrant, by transporting you are risking INS seizing your patient, your ambulance, your partner and you.

They are empowered to place all illegal immigrants, and those that assist them in custody.

No, I would not have a problem transporting the child and mother, but I'd be very careful who I broadcast the information to.

If you render medical aid to or transport an illegal with medical necessity are you breaking the law? Are you required to notify law enforcement? In the scenario are you breaking the law if you transport? Points to ponder.

So from what I can understand it is basically a- well check. No, I would not transport the child unless the mother wanted to go. The hospital is not going to treat the child without her as well there is no emergency. Sorry, it has nothing to do with her being illegal or not, rather practicality.

R/r 911

You would take a person with no medical complaint leaving your community uncovered? Nearest mutual aid is at least 60 miles out. What if your mother collapses while your out on this call and could have been saved had ambulance been there? Points to ponder. Remember patients mother states there is no medical concern.

<< city boy ... i dont have any protocol that says make a medical decision/refuse treatment/txp cuz the next available unit is too far away.

Why not run an intercept with that unit 60 miles away ? split the ride half way ?

Further, theres no new medical complaint except the broken arm ? ... here's a question how well does the parent/child speak english ? are you certain she said what you think she said ?

I don;t know the "text book answer" but i would take the pt. cuz i have no idea, whats going on under that cast, dont know if it was done right, or what. again I'd probably go for an intercept but im a city boy what do i know lol

"<< city boy ... i dont have any protocol that says make a medical decision/refuse treatment/txp cuz the next available unit is too far away. "

Not refusing because mutual aid to far away.

"Why not run an intercept with that unit 60 miles away ? split the ride half way ?"

Mutual aid is only available for emergencys, this is not emergency. So now 2 ambulances and 2 areas uncovered for 1 none emergency and that assumes that the mutual aid is available. Also now you have to consider costs that we've been ignoring is it fair to ask them to lose money to. They are a different agency not part of ours. They only have one ambulance as well.

"Further, theres no new medical complaint except the broken arm ? ... here's a question how well does the parent/child speak english ? are you certain she said what you think she said ? "

Actually family is not requesting us for broken arm, they want us to go to the hospital because the patients mother cannot pass checkpoint. Child good english. Second medic is native of Mexico if that helps scenario so he can speak with patients mother. We will also in scenario allow you to speak fair spanish, so it is definite that the mother is just asking for a way past check point.

"I don;t know the "text book answer" but i would take the pt. cuz i have no idea, whats going on under that cast, dont know if it was done right, or what. again I'd probably go for an intercept but im a city boy what do i know lol

If you render medical aid to or transport an illegal with medical necessity are you breaking the law? Are you required to notify law enforcement? In the scenario are you breaking the law if you transport? Points to ponder.

If you are transporting an illegal immigrant, then you are breaking the law. You may not be required to notify law enforcement, but they will be glad to educate you when they find out. Yes, you are breaking the law. Scenario or not.

If you are transporting an illegal immigrant, then you are breaking the law. You may not be required to notify law enforcement, but they will be glad to educate you when they find out. Yes, you are breaking the law. Scenario or not.

Lets say the patient is illegal and needs immediate care. A. Can you treat them or do you leave them? B. Can you report them without violating patient confidentiality? C. Do any laws supersede the other laws? D. Is it abandonment to not transport so you are not guilty of transporting illegals? E. Are you a lawyer that specializes in this so I can trust your responses?

Thanks for your involvement it's fun to see how others respond to things I see often.

No, I am not a lawyer, so my responses can be trusted :D

I only relate the information as it was explained to me by a sheriff's deputy. If you do not know the status of the patient, or can not obtain the information reasonably, you can be cited for transporting an illegal. Delaying transport to obtain the information would not be encouraged, and often it would be the agency at fault, not the individual provider.