Already treated in Mexico - What Would You Do?

spenac

Do you transport? Explain answer in comments.  

17 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

I still don't understand. :?

She is already IN THE U.S.A., right? So then, what is this "border zone" and "check point" she is worried about?

It makes complete sense to me, Dust. She broke the law. None of us have ever broken a law.

Since we're perfect and she's not we shouldn't take her or her kid to the hospital.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It makes complete sense to me, Dust. She broke the law. None of us have ever broken a law.

Since we're perfect and she's not we shouldn't take her or her kid to the hospital.

Our not transporting is because there is no medical reason to transport even per the mothers statements. Patient has already been treated and is able to safely be transported by POV. Per our protocol patient is to be denied transport in this case, not having a car, or not having a passport is no reason to justify taking a person to the hospital. Man I am glad we have a medical director that allows use of our brain and not one that says transport everyone that calls as that would bite. As already stated if there is an emergency we will treat and transport regardless of legal status. Having seen the conditions many people live in in Mexico, I don't blame them for wanting to try a new place. We do not ask if a person is legal, remember in this scenario she tells you she has no concern about the child that would require the ambulance it is just that she can not pass the checkpoint.

I would not transport this child. The crux of the issue is that there is no medical complaint.

Take out the mother's being here illegally. She sees an easy way around the border patrol.

Why dont' you tell her that the ambulance will be stopped and checked and if she's on board both she and all of you could go to jail and she'd be deported back to Mexico and her precious little angel would be left here.

I feel for your pain spenac, you have a very difficult job to do down there on the border. I applaud your working there.

But I still would not transport her.

I would not transport this child. The crux of the issue is that there is no medical complaint.

Take out the mother's being here illegally. She sees an easy way around the border patrol.

Why dont' you tell her that the ambulance will be stopped and checked and if she's on board both she and all of you could go to jail and she'd be deported back to Mexico and her precious little angel would be left here.

I feel for your pain spenac, you have a very difficult job to do down there on the border. I applaud your working there.

But I still would not transport her.

Thank you. It was great to see someone catch that the illegal part plays no part in the decision making. The decision is made based on the medical complaint or lack of. Our medical director looks at us as professionals that have enough brains to think for ourselves. With what many say from other areas our job would be unbearable if we had medical director that would not allow the use of our brain and education. Like most we still transport the majority of patients but we do have more treat and release protocols available than other systems I've seen.

People know that we are not stopped. I have asked them to stop us a few times to get word out that we can get stopped but they won't, at least so far. I've even asked that the drug dogs be used to help discourage attempted drug smuggling by patients.

Spenac, what's the possibility that you could have your partner while driving call in an anonymous tip that an illegal is riding in the ambulance? Make it a private tip to the INS.

Spenac, what's the possibility that you could have your partner while driving call in an anonymous tip that an illegal is riding in the ambulance? Make it a private tip to the INS.

Interesting topic, I live on the border as well. Border Patrol usually issues a temporary pass and calls the ambulance for transport regardless of the complaint. Everybody looses on this issue in my neck of the woods. Well, almost everybody. :roll:

Take care,

chbare.

We actually get people that report us at times but Border Patrol still has not stopped us. Border patrol will sometimes tell us that they received tip that we were hauling an illegal but they did not want to interfere with patient care. Again if patient is in custody they are responsible for medical care of the prisioner, thats my guess to why they do not check us.

Interesting topic, I live on the border as well. Border Patrol usually issues a temporary pass and calls the ambulance for transport regardless of the complaint. Everybody looses on this issue in my neck of the woods. Well, almost everybody. :roll:

Take care,

chbare.

It is easy for them to get the medical pass to even take and go up POV if the child is USA citizen as was in this scenario. Mother is already here illegally and does not want to risk going back to Mexico and then be denied re-entry to USA. I wish we could get Border Patrol to respond to all our calls even if they never check papers. Many have first responder training and could just show up to help us load patients. They would probably be accused of strong arming, intimidation.

Well until we have politicians who favor the law over votes then we will never have even adequate enforcement of the border.

Rant on -I can almost guarantee that if a illegal killed or seriously injured a member of congress or his/her family that the enforcement would go up. But until we have congressmen with rubber backbones we will never have enforcement of the border. It might hurt the illegals feelings if enforcement is increased.

I'm darn sick of politicians saying one thing and then voting completely different. It's all politics I know but don't they know that there are lives affected by this issue.

Same as the war in Iraq, same as many many other issues. Until the politicians vote with their heads and not the number of votes they can get then nothing of note will get done in this country. Rant off.