Traditions as a new EMT

I was watching tonight show of ER and on there they had one of the dr's brother become an EMT. As a tradition as a new EMT,they gave him many shots of hard liquar and he ended up in the ER cuz he drank too much.

I was wondering where you work at, do they have any traditons when they hire on new EMT and Medics even if this is thier very job as an EMT or Medic?

sara

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is always the backboard ride. Actually, it's more of a training tool. The FNG is boarded and placed on the stretcher. Driven around like most newbies, then driven around smoothly just to prove a point on how to drive with patients.

There is also a grammar and spelling test.

Tradition(s) for new hires 8)

Let me think here...

1) Tradition of graciously assigning them the least convenient shift.

2) Tradition of starting them off at the basic pay rate for their level of certification.

3) Tradition of not letting them drive a rig, and/or be released as an "Attendant In Charge" until well after their date of hire.

4) Tradition of having them float from crew to crew until a senior provider decides they like the newbie, and takes them on as a regular partner.

5) If they're assigned to headquarters duty, there's the tradition of having them cook for everyone else that may be present.

6) Finally, there's the tradition of providing them the most reasonable benefits package we possibly can, along with a progressive raise schedule, educational incentive programs, and a pretty decent starting wage, considering the area we're located in.

Additionally, if it's a male, who's not from the area, someone eventually sends him over to the VAREMS building for a "S.T.A.R. punch", after explaining to him that it's a rescue tool. When he gets there, one of the "Special Trauma And Rescue" members gives said newbie a love-tap on the tricep...assuming they think he'll be a good sport about it.

Kids & their games. :roll:

Oh, I almost forgot...I'm going to institute a new tradition. New hires who are also volunteers will be required to join EMT City, and subsequently send an IM to Dustdevil about how proud they are of their volunteer duties, and how much they love their brand spankin' new LED Light mounted on the dash of their 6 year old Dodge Neon, and lastly, that the volunteer squad is taking too long with delivering their volunteer badge to them, that it's not fair, and what does Dustdevil think they should do about it?

:twisted:

Oh, I almost forgot...I'm going to institute a new tradition. New hires who are also volunteers will be required to join EMT City

Wow, don't even give him a chance to get used to you or anything. Just come right out and prove what an as*hole you are. Do you just want people to stop joining EMT City? Scare them off.. Hey newbie, not everyone in EMS is an as*hole. Maybe admin should limit the site to paid and career personnel only, since obviously those of us career EMS personnel who choose to volunteer on our own time, are hurting the industry so much.

If my volunteering on the side keeps people like you out of a job, then I'm damn proud of that.. Because it's your outright negative attitudes that make EMS look bad. In my daily passings, I meet very few people in EMS that are as negative as those on this site. How about you stop making people think this is a job that is for a precious few, because the more people that leave it, the more that will be needed. Then, you won't have much choice, and the politicians and educators dumb down the courses to fill the empty jobs.. Companies go bankrupt, and where does that leave the people that need us (EMS as a whole)? Back to death in a ditch?

Don't try to enlighten me Rob, because I'm not listening. I'm just here wasting the time that I set aside to waste.

Wow, don't even give him a chance to get used to you or anything. Just come right out and prove what an as*hole you are. Do you just want people to stop joining EMT City? Scare them off.. Hey newbie, not everyone in EMS is an as*hole. Maybe admin should limit the site to paid and career personnel only, since obviously those of us career EMS personnel who choose to volunteer on our own time, are hurting the industry so much.

If my volunteering on the side keeps people like you out of a job, then I'm damn proud of that.. Because it's your outright negative attitudes that make EMS look bad. In my daily passings, I meet very few people in EMS that are as negative as those on this site. How about you stop making people think this is a job that is for a precious few, because the more people that leave it, the more that will be needed. Then, you won't have much choice, and the politicians and educators dumb down the courses to fill the empty jobs.. Companies go bankrupt, and where does that leave the people that need us (EMS as a whole)? Back to death in a ditch?

Don't try to enlighten me Rob, because I'm not listening. I'm just here wasting the time that I set aside to waste.

Wow what a lot of rhetoric rubbish. Sorry, when many of us first joined this site it was primary volunteers and 90 day EMT's that did not know tidal volume from acetylcholine. Guess what ? The numbers increased because we have policed this area with promotion of professional pride, education, and the recommendation of use of grammar and spelling, so we at least can come across as a professional.

If you want to know why people leave EMS, then I refer you to check other previous posts and sections. Dumbing down courses or watering them down was in direct correlation to volunteers. If you would like I will cite the scientific finding(s) ... i.e. the Montana Study, Nebraska Study, Vermont Education review; the 1994 NHTSA EMT Curriculum Revision...The same reason(s) The National Scope of Practice became diluted and finally failed. So please check your facts first, it was not because "holes" or job openings as you stated.

R/r 911

Oh, I almost forgot...I'm going to institute a new tradition. New hires who are also volunteers will be required to join EMT City, and subsequently send an IM to Dustdevil about how proud they are of their volunteer duties, and how much they love their brand spankin' new LED Light mounted on the dash of their 6 year old Dodge Neon, and lastly, that the volunteer squad is taking too long with delivering their volunteer badge to them, that it's not fair, and what does Dustdevil think they should do about it?

:twisted:

Oh, my that is evil.

I'd like to see the look on their faces when they got the reply lol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.