The stupidification of ACLS.

mediccjh

Do you believe the stupidification of ACLS is a problem?  

22 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

And the doctors...OMG :shock: :shock:

Nothing scares me more then listening to someone with MD after their name, trying to figure out the dose for epi or atropine in an adult code setting....wow.

Hey. Watch it there fella. I do have to admit though, watching new interns during ACLS or a real code is kinda fun. You have to remember though, ACLS/running codes is a skill and if you don't use it, you lose it. Outside of the critical care world (anesthesia, ICU and best of all EM) how often do docs really run codes? When was the last time your neurologist, orthopod, family doctor ran a code?

One of the best stories I have from residency happened in the ICU. It was August of our intern year. We had a pt who started seizing. The medicine intern who was taking care of the pt runs out of the room and yells, "This guy is seizing, we need the ER resident!" Made me feel good though.

You are so off the mark. If someone is going to live it is because of what happens in the field. If they aren't alive by the time they hit the ER they aren't going to make it (obviously there are no absolutes). Please do the profession a favor and quit because attitudes like this only continue to hurt EMS.

Were you to look a bit deeper than MD/DO titles, you would quickly realize that every paramedic response unit has the same ability to manage a cardiac arrest that anyone in a hospital does. Now before you pull some obscure cardiology suite procedure out, realize that those "special skills" do not have a place in an ACLS guideline resuscitation.

Initiation of transvenous pacing?

Oh you have all the kewl toys !

The point that I believe needs to be made (well from my Kanukistanian chair) is this:

Yes I too am quite disappointed with the Provider level books (I drove 100 kms to take a look yesterday) they do not have the same research based data nor references that we as professionals (the grey team) are accustomed to seeing. I too was quite shocked as the Provider level books appear to be so bloody basic, that said: Those that are dedicated and have google and a few subscriptions (for journals) or even the links to the ILCOR research (i.e. the justification based on evidence based medicine.) In fact many threads on this site are self evident of that fact.

If a practioner accepts this new "improved" teaching methodology one must look "just why" is these guides have been "dummied down"...... to teach a huge demographic population,this is a means of delivering educational material, Your individual Licensing body is them to validate your capabilities... it is up to the true professional to chose to excel in this area or just accept the status quo. The Heart foundations world wide have heard the feedback of this I am quite certain things will change once again.

I personally would like to see a new "International Consensus on Science" as in the old publication of Guidelines 2000 for

Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care, that had some meat to it, yet there were many of my respected colleague's that never even opened the first page...you get my point, I hope.

ps I don't WANT my General Practice MD to even have ACLS! nor do I want to do prostate examinations or fecal (digital) disimpaction.

cheers

You all are quite right, It is actually getting very boring now to see all of you get your panties in a bunch. It's not as fun as it used to be ;)

What's wrong with tattoos????

-10 for off topic.

-6 for using this forum for your entertainment.

-300 for professionalism.

Personally I wil no longer bother to respond to your foolish giberish.

cheers

goodbye

Tranvenous pacing is not indicated in the current guidelines for the management of cardiac arrest. Bradycardias, sure, but not pulseless arrest.

As an aside, doesn't it take a significant amount of time to get the TVP in place?

You all are quite right, It is actually getting very boring now to see all of you get your panties in a bunch. It's not as fun as it used to be ;)

What's wrong with tattoos????

If you are not having any more fun Fire then do all of us a favor and go back to your fire station. Might be best for all concerned.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.