POV LED lights

ReD

i am a firefighter here in a small town, and we are asked, if possible, to respond to calls on our days off. POVs are NOT allowed on scenes, we respond to the station. It's not in writing, but its pretty much required to have lights on POV to respond to the station for calls, no sirens, just lights.

Also, im not looking to light my truck up like an ambulance, just a light for my winshield. Ive been looking at the GALLS LED light that velcros to your visor. i want something non permanent and not easily detectable when it's not on. only thing about the flip down visor light is the reflection of the lights at night. i like the light bars that go inside the vehicle at the top of the winshield that are almost undetectable, but the $500 price tag is a bit much. om looking to spend $100 at most, but i want the most bang for my buck. thus, looking for the most inexpensive LED company, which brings me here, explaining why i need the lights and what i do for a living, and how far away from the station i live.

Last time I checked, any department that would 'require' lights and sirens (and yes, if you have one, you have them both), would have a comprehensive WRITTEN policy in place governing their use. This policy would also require certain guidelines on the lights and sirens required. For example, the Michigan Motor Vehicle Code (that's where I live) requires at least one flashing, rotating, or oscilating light that can be seen 360° at 500' under normal atmospheric conditions. The siren must be a certain decibel level at 500' (again the 360° thing applies). Even with all the requirements met, you can only exceed the prima facie speed limit by a whopping 10 MPH. And, God forbid if you're in an accident while 'lit up', you're automatically at fault!

From what you're wanting to deck your POV with, wouldn't meet those requirements. Check your States Motor Vehicle Code, and see if you're even allowed to have them legally.

Just because you deck your vehicle out with lights and sirens, those pretty flashy lights do not guarantee the right of way, but is mearely a request that can and WILL be denied by other drivers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

What about safety?

Is it really worth risking everyone elses life on the road whilst responding hot to your fire hall or Ambulance bay?

What if someone in YOUR own vehicle runs the intersection that you are going through and crashes into you and now the family of 4 is dead in the car beside you, now ask yourself is it worth it? Especially how your insurance probably wont cover it, as it is licenced a private vehicle not a commercial. Now, if the exact same thing happened and you were responding to the hall for a minor call, and now you have your original call plus 4 dead people.

Besides very few courts in the world would call the other driver liable, as your proceeded through an intersection without due regard.

Now this is only one scenario of things that can go wrong on the street while you drive like a maniac to respond to a "Emergency Call", ask yourself how many emergency calls are worth risking everyone elses life, or even more importantly, your life.

Finally, I don't know about where you are but, here in Alberta, the only thing mentioned in the traffic act is sirens, not lights, by law you cannot contravene the traffic laws with just lights on. Rightfully so, its easier to hear a siren as its a passive attention grabber where as lights are more of a active attention grabber, where the motorist has to be more or less paying attention while they are driving... and we all know how often this occurs.

I lied, now finally, Why are we risking everyone elses life to save one life to respond to a call in our vehicle??? I mean is that not an oxymoron on why we got into this business to start with? How many people want to have a job where we sacrifice other peoples well being??

Cheers

What about safety?

Is it really worth risking everyone elses life on the road whilst responding hot to your fire hall or Ambulance bay?

Devils advocate time. What's the point of responding hot to a call in an ambulance if you took your sweet time to get to the ambulance?

What if someone in YOUR own vehicle runs the intersection that you are going through and crashes into you and now the family of 4 is dead in the car beside you, now ask yourself is it worth it? Especially how your insurance probably wont cover it, as it is licenced a private vehicle not a commercial. Now, if the exact same thing happened and you were responding to the hall for a minor call, and now you have your original call plus 4 dead people.
Same thing could happen if you are responding hot to a minor call that didn't come over as minor in an ambulance.

Besides very few courts in the world would call the other driver liable, as your proceeded through an intersection without due regard.

Now this is only one scenario of things that can go wrong on the street while you drive like a maniac to respond to a "Emergency Call", ask yourself how many emergency calls are worth risking everyone elses life, or even more importantly, your life.

Are there any calls worth risking your life over? This isn't Alaskian crab fishing where you stand a sizable chance of dying even if you took all available precautions.

Finally, I don't know about where you are but, here in Alberta, the only thing mentioned in the traffic act is sirens, not lights, by law you cannot contravene the traffic laws with just lights on. Rightfully so, its easier to hear a siren as its a passive attention grabber where as lights are more of a active attention grabber, where the motorist has to be more or less paying attention while they are driving... and we all know how often this occurs.

Sirens are terrible at getting people's attention around corners anyways, especially with the amont of sound proofing cars have now.

I lied, now finally, Why are we risking everyone elses life to save one life to respond to a call in our vehicle??? I mean is that not an oxymoron on why we got into this business to start with? How many people want to have a job where we sacrifice other peoples well being??

Well, I always wanted to be the Aztec priest that did the human sacrifices. Too bad it seems that I'm a little too late.

I still stand by my previous statement, no one can REQUIRE you to have lights in your POV. They better be providing you insurance against accidents and liability. And leasing your vehicle from you? Inspecting it? Giving you a set of requirements and comprehensive policy?

Putting them on, on your own, that is different. I have a blue courtesy light in my vehicle. I also use sense with what I use it for. If the ambulance won't go hot, neither will I. If traffic is heavy, it stays off, there are enough people that live closer to station then I do. If someone won't move over, I don't pass them like a jack ass.

Too many people get their jolly's from lights and sirens. It scares me. I don't see a problem with POV response as long as it is responsible. Thats the problem though. Too many people fly like a bat out of hell with no regard. Our dept has insurance on us that covers a POV accident, with out it I would probably not respond hot or very rarely.

I've watched this thread for a long time before chiming in. I know of some rural fire depts, were the chief gets a marked car, and the 2 or 3 asst. chiefs get to put lights and sirens in their POV. Also some counties allow medics to take home a "fly car" when they are on call, and yet other depts' in NYallow certain personnel to get the vehicles certified as "emergency ambulance service vehicles" which allow them to have lights and sirens, and they are certified and inspected by NYS DOH, and carry a required amount of BLS and sometimes ALS equipment.

I know of some depts, that allow their MD to have L and S in thier car, but cant afford to buy them a marked car.

And like someelse said a 10-20 mintue response is not out of the ordinary to some rural depts, and volunteer depts, have such a hard time with recruitment it is unrealistice to ask them to sit in the firehouse for 2-3 calls a week, but when a call comes in they need to respond asap.

I think the bottom line is that some states allow POV's to have lights, some may not, and some allow POV's to have L&S...

As to a light alone being useless, it depends on where you are, and the level of awareness of the citizens in your neighborhood.

some people yeild, some do not.. .

I've watched this thread for a long time before chiming in. I know of some rural fire depts, were the chief gets a marked car, and the 2 or 3 asst. chiefs get to put lights and sirens in their POV. Also some counties allow medics to take home a "fly car" when they are on call, and yet other depts' in NYallow certain personnel to get the vehicles certified as "emergency ambulance service vehicles" which allow them to have lights and sirens, and they are certified and inspected by NYS DOH, and carry a required amount of BLS and sometimes ALS equipment.

I know of some depts, that allow their MD to have L and S in thier car, but cant afford to buy them a marked car.

And like someelse said a 10-20 mintue response is not out of the ordinary to some rural depts, and volunteer depts, have such a hard time with recruitment it is unrealistice to ask them to sit in the firehouse for 2-3 calls a week, but when a call comes in they need to respond asap.

I think the bottom line is that some states allow POV's to have lights, some may not, and some allow POV's to have L&S...

As to a light alone being useless, it depends on where you are, and the level of awareness of the citizens in your neighborhood.

some people yeild, some do not.. .

In New Jersey we have a very large amount of volunteer systems. With the roads getting more and more crowded you really do need lights to respond more efficiently. My FD is still one of those that some weeks we'll get 8-12 calls and other weeks 2-3. there is no point in having a 4-5 man crew sitting down at the station.

Same goes for ems, while the call volume is significantly higher, the roads are more crowded than ever and being that it is volunteer we aren't required to sit at the squad building for the entire shift, lights do make a difference in the response time.

Most people are responsible and the ones that aren't know about it very quickly and have either gotten their permit revoked or suspension from the dept.

And in terms of safety, there are times where we have no choice but to respond to scene (read mva/etc is on the road between home and station) I want to be seen at night if I have to stop.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.