Tactical Medic Courses

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this was already discussed but this has been big news for the Tactical EMS market....CONTOMS is good but as an 18D you would no benefit so much from the course...you have probably already "been there done that"

Former Officer Charged With Transferring Explosive

Prank Involving Flash-Bang Grenades Caused Serious Injury

POSTED: 6:08 pm CDT July 18, 2006

UPDATED: 6:22 pm CDT July 18, 2006

HOUSTON -- A former officer faced federal charges Tuesday after a prank ended in serious injury, the KPRC Local 2 Troubleshooters reported.

Seven police officers were indicted in connection with a prank involving a SWAT team flash-bang grenade.

Charles Malouf Jr. is accused of providing dozens of the grenades, some of which were used in dangerous practical jokes, officials said.

Investigators said Malouf took the flash bangs when his old police force shut down in north Texas.

The grenades ended up with the Cypress Creek EMS tactical team, the station reported.

One flash bang was set off under a Hempstead officer's patrol car as a practical joke, officials said, and a month later, another grenade blew off a man's foot at a party.

Monday night, Hempstead city council grilled Police Chief Glenn Smith for giving badges to all seven Cy-Creek tactical medics, making them officers as well as medics.

He has suspended the officers, which is a significant portion of his total patrol manpower.

The officers were indicted in Montgomery County earlier this month, accused of trying to cover up the party injury.

Malouf was overheard in the courtroom saying he did not know it was a federal crime to possess the flash bangs, and no one told him it was illegal to give the grenades to the Cy-Creek medics, the station reported.

He was charged with illegally transferring an explosive device.

Malouf waived his right to a grand jury, which means his case moves directly toward trial.

If he's convicted, he could get probation or up to 10 years in federal prison.

I just joined the forum as well. I'm an 18D currently in OEF and looking into medical options for my return stateside. Dustdevil, you mention that these tactical courses focus on tactics, do you mean law enforcement tactics or tactical ways to give care? I'd like to hear from guys who are prior military who have taken a tactical EMS course, how did the tactics compare to what you were taught in the military? Obviously tactics will differ for use in the civilian world (ie. it may not be a good idea to kill everyone with a gun when clearing a room back home).

BTW Dustdevil, I saw your pic of that mini-gun, man those things are freaking awsome! Got to see one in action from the ground, there is no morale boost like seeing your exfil bird silence all incoming rounds with a ten second burst. The bad guys had no idea what hit them. Good luck over there.

"MissingLink,"

If your an 18D guy whom it is not unreasonable to presume that you have alot of time 'down range,' and 'in the box', you will find CONTOMS and most probably event the H&K style courses a waste of time. They won't compare even remotely to what you encountered at 'the stockade' {if you went that far} or out at SOMC-McCall-Pope. If you have contacts at the Q-SOMC you may consider 'auditing' some courses there or even re-running the 'goat' lab a few times to get back in the swing. IMHLO, the big sifference you will see from Military medicine and Civilain is the 'medical' side which as a vanilla military medic you may need more exposure to as oppossed to the majority of 'trauma' which they see. Yet again though with your 18D I'm sure you've practiced more autonomous medicine than most here ever will.

Depending on your situation and opinions it may be a good idea to do some intl stuff for a few years post-service and this will help you get your warchest in to an ideal position for later when you want to settle down. "Dust," mentioned a few and I will also add SOS Temps to that list. You may also try to look at contacting the Natl Regisrty and they may allow you to challenge the exam although they may force you to entertain the possibility of 'taking a refresher' through USASOC-SOMC. Food for thought, Hope this Helps,

ACE844

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.