Good Places To Work

sdiener

If you wouldnt mind coming a little down south, then i have a great place for you. Guilford County EMS in NC. We run ALS and BLS trucks and a few rescue squads. But we are pretty decent traffic wise. You have calls in a big city, in urban areas, highways and out in the country all in the same county. We are currently hiring Paramedics this fall. You most definitely should at least check it out!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

check out Beaumont EMS. 3rd city service under the health dept. 2 for 1 matching funds in the retirement system, ins, cafeteria plan. very busy & progressive. you'd use all your skills, frequently. close to houston, about 4 hours from Austin & San Antonio.

Have you tried some places in Maryland ?????

Charles County is a fairly progressive, and busy system.. they are hiring p/t and f/t on and off... then you wouldn't have to leave home,, they have some excellent medics, and they are a system that can grow with you and you will be getting in on the ground floor.... www.charlescounty.gov/es/ems

If you are a new medic and want to get some volunteer experience,, you might try Calvert County . www.calvertals.com

The other thing is Md State is looking for Trooper/flight medics,, but you need 3 years of high volume EMS experience,

If you are dead set on leaving MD,,,,,, i think Austin travis, or ada paramedics sound like good places to work, but i have no personal first hand experience. I have worked with and trained with many MD, DC and VA agencies, and as I said, if you are looking for no FFing, your options are limited in this area. with the exception of Calvert, which is a volunteer third service, and Charles which is kind of part of the FD, but not really,,,, thats basically it. I don't know much about northern and western MD, but most systems are run by the FD and the Medics are cross trained and dual role. No having said that many depts if you want to be on the medic unit,, other medics would gladly step aside and jump on the engine for the shift...

Here's mine!!!!

It's Florida!!!!! Pro's: Sunny year round, fishing is awsome, shopping can't be beat, the pay is the second highest in the state of Florida. The con's: Housing is expensive, cost of living here is high, traffic is somewhat to be desired. The angecy is very progressive medically, we have one of the nation's most aggressive RSI protocols and have recently placed Lopressor on our units. We utilize Zoll monitors which include NIBP, ECG, 12-lead, Pacing, Semi and Automated De-fib, ETCO2. We utilize Stryker Pro strecthers and have added the Stryker Power Pro (hydralic lift ones) to our arsenal, soon to be released to all the units. We utilize American LaFrance Medic Assault Vehicles (MAV) on Freightliner chassis. We utilize Wheelen LED and strobe lighting packages on our units. We utilize Motorola's 800 Mhz Astro Digital Trunked system for communications which enables us to provided 100% inter agnecy interoperability. We utilize Motorola's computer aided dispatch system (CAD), Premier Mobile Data Computer system (MDC) to operate the 911 system. We currently utilize the ProQA medical priority dispatching process. We currently utilize GPS tracking for closest unit response. We are in the process of installing the Marvlus and Siren dispatch systems which control and anticipate call volume and unit statuses. We currently operate 33 ALS units 24/7. We are in the process of creating a tiered (ALS/BLS) response system. We handle all emergent and non-emergent interfacility transfers as well as all 911 and non-911 calls within Lee County. There are 22 fire districts in Lee County. All offer first-response. 17 of the 22 offer ALS first response, 5 offer BLS. 2 ( Lehigh Acres FD and Fort Myers Beach FD) of the 22 are ALS/Transport. No private ambulance service has a C.O.N to work in Lee County. We have 2 work shifts currently 12 or 24 hr and are paid based on a 56 hr work week. Meaning any hours worked over 40 is OT. Boiled down thats 32 hrs of OT per paycheck just by working your regualr shifts. We also belong to the Local IAFF 1826 district 2 LCEMS union.

BTW our website is http://www.lee-ems.com/ems/default.htm. You can view it and explore at the bottom.

Salary:

24 hr Shifts:

EMT-B starting : 13.38/hr (roughly $45,000/yr)

EMT-P starting : 14.76/hr (roughyl $52,000/yr)

EMT-B Maximum: 19.67/hr (roughly $62,000/yr)

EMT-P Maximum: 21.73/hr (roughly $73,000/yr)

12 hr Shifts

EMT-B starting: 17.84/hr (roughly $44,800/yr)

EMT-P starting: 19.71/hr (roughly $51,800/yr)

EMT-B Maximum: 26.23/hr (roughly $61,800/yr)

EMT-P Maximum: 28.97/hr (roughly $71,800/yr)

Benefits:

100% paid medical, dental, vision insurance

Paid pension into the Florida Retirement System ( 25 years of service and out with a 5 year DROP option)

$250,000 paid life insurance policy

Short Term and Long Term disability

Tution Reinbursement

Paid Vacation and Sick time

[web:e187888069]http://www.lee-ems.com/ems/default.htm[/web:e187888069]

Here's mine!!!!

It's Florida!!!!! Pro's: .....(edited for content)... We currently operate 33 ALS units 24/7. We are in the process of creating a tiered (ALS/BLS) response system. We handle all emergent and non-emergent interfacility transfers as well as all 911 and non-911 calls within Lee County. There are 22 fire districts in Lee County. All offer first-response. ... No private ambulance service has a C.O.N to work in Lee County. BTW our website is http://www.lee-ems.com/ems/default.htm. You can view it and explore at the bottom.

Salary:

24 hr Shifts:

EMT-B starting : 13.38/hr (roughly $45,000/yr)

EMT-P starting : 14.76/hr (roughyl $52,000/yr)

EMT-B Maximum: 19.67/hr (roughly $62,000/yr)

EMT-P Maximum: 21.73/hr (roughly $73,000/yr)

12 hr Shifts

EMT-B starting: 17.84/hr (roughly $44,800/yr)

EMT-P starting: 19.71/hr (roughly $51,800/yr)

EMT-B Maximum: 26.23/hr (roughly $61,800/yr)

EMT-P Maximum: 28.97/hr (roughly $71,800/yr)

[/web]

............... Heah nifty,,,, I'm not attacking your agency, but I question your math.... BTW From everything I've heard Lee County EMS is a good place to work,,,,, but stay with me and do the math.. you said 14.76 = roughly 52,000 per year..... I get the following ........ 14.76x40 (hour work week) =590.4 x4 (weeks per month)=2361.6.... x 12 months per year ,,, = 28,339.2 ........ NOT Roughly 52,000 per year..... NOT EVEN CLOSE,,, and 28.97 per hour equals about 55,622.4 per year not "roughly 71,8000"

Now I'm not a CPA, but my base is listed as $68,440. and my hourly is $32.90,, do the same math ,, and it is 1,316 per week

$5,264 per month and $5,264 x 12 = 63,168 per year, NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE but a hell of a lot closer than your numbers, and i do end up with a lot more than my base because of O.T. 10% night diff, 25% sunday pay, holidays, etc.

Now granted you may make O.T. Shift diff, holiday pay, and that may in fact raise your salary, but you can not include it in your "BASE salary", if you suddenly stopped working nights, holidays, and premium hours if you job has such a thing.

So, Nifty, please explain your numbers if possible,, as to how the math works out.

Former

Lee Counties' numbers are based off of a 56 hour work week, as Nifty previously stated. Add the built in OT of 32 hours per check x 26 pay periods and his numbers are pretty close.................

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.