taking stuff from hospitals ?(lets be honest)

Everything.

Anything that is needed for patient care can be easily re-appropriated. I was told by a previous boss (current company) that anything in the ER that wouldn't be missed, and could be used on the ambulance is fair game.

In all seriousness, nothing that we don't need, and they don't know we take. Right now, we help ourselves to saline locks and flushes. Our service does not stock nice locks, (we use generic drip sets) and hospital's are far superior. The nurses give them to us, it makes their life easier if the patient is admitted, or needs fluids from a pump.

We also take liberally truck and station cleaning supplies (we have stations at the hospitals).

Our service is independent, yet overseen by competing hospitals. So, technically it's not steeling.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will restock IV supplies that are hospital specific. Having worked in the ER, I know that nurses don't like to have to switch IV extension sets and tubings while trying to treat the patient. Everything I restock is fine with the ER's. Gloves, on an occasion, if we ran out, but I would ask. If they say no, then I don't. Simple as that. Some of the hospitals restock items for you. They will have the items unlocked in the EMS room or close by. I might grab a couple extra alcohol preps or tegaderms. I don't think they'll send out the supply police for me.

Ditto. Restocking what you use is what I like to do, too. Also, the ER's tend to pull IV lines from EMS due many factors, one being the simple fact that it's not their own set-up. Another being that a study came out stating prehospital IV lines tend to have a higher infection at the site rate compared to those started in the hospitals. So at least if you can use the same set ups, then it makes everyones life a bit easier. Small things like alcohol preps and venaguards have no other personal use and therefore I will grab possibly a few extra if the truck is low. It's the small things that people tend NOT to replace that makes taking 4-5 instead of one at a time the reason. :wink:

The service I'm working for (again) has employees that suck...They leave unstocked trucks. When I come in I rush for a quick rig check before I go out on the road. When we use the BVM on calls, we swap out at the ER, they give us one as most of the hospitals we go to they sorta pseudo like us, god forgive them.

Every facility I go to, I try to stock up on linen. Becuase we generally start the shift with 1 sheet and 1 blanket. So every space we can we stock...I also try to secure extra o2 portables. One of the nursing homes are nice to only few crews (I'm one of them) and allows them to take as much linen as we want.

One hospital I swipe a box or two of their small gloves because I like them and they are comfortable. One of the ER nurses also lets me take them knowingly...she is also one our regular paramedics and is a total sweetheart, even when she yells at me for my constant dehydration.

...so your service provides what exactly? ...an empty vehicle? Arent there regulations as to required amounts of equipment on your vehicle? Isnt it your responsibility to make sure your vehicle is fully stocked before you book on? Please correct me if Im wrong.

...so your service provides what exactly? ...an empty vehicle? Arent there regulations as to required amounts of equipment on your vehicle? Isnt it your responsibility to make sure your vehicle is fully stocked before you book on? Please correct me if Im wrong.

This is what I was trying to figure out.

by unstocked, i mean linens. and when they do use something, they don't replace it. i do a quick rig check because i get a regular rig and i know it inside and out and can tell when something is missing.

...I also try to secure extra o2 portables.

One hospital I swipe a box or two of their small gloves because I like them and they are comfortable.

Extra 02? Between the spare D tanks that should already be on your truck and the M tank in your vehicle- why the need for extra 02?

Your service also doesnt supply your size of gloves? Or the gloves are for personal use?

TV Sets, stereo equipment, wallets... Just kidding. We are required to use only department issued equipment, so I don't need to pilfer from the hospital, so usually its only linens, which I try and do on a strict one for one basis. Sometimes I'll take a blanket or something if the temperature has dropped, but usually its not necessary. I think thought I am guilty of swiping alcohol preps here and there. I can never get them at my station and I use them all the time for various purposes, and its NOT because I'm addicted to the smell or something. Shut up.

I've only really had someone give me a hard time once about taking a sheet, and it wasn't even me, it was my partner. We had brought a patient in and my partner was making up the stretcher and took a, as in one, sheet off of the linen cart. The ER DOCTOR of all people then comes and asks him if we are a part of their system and if not to not take the sheets. My partner then gave him a very strange look but then complied and put the sheet back. We then generally agreed it would kinda of be a step down if not outright degrading to go from MD to sheet police, and maybe he was just having a bad day, and we had a good laugh.

This is what I was trying to figure out.

yea... i cant figure that out either.... you are required by the state to have that stuff stocked all the time, i dont recall off hand.. but you need a significant amount of extra linen. if you leave your station not stocked... its your fault.. not the crew before you.. no blaming them for not restocking.. yea they should.. but its your responsibility. i wouldnt leave unless i had all my supplies. thats like leaving without my lp12 or my meds. who would do that? either you need to do a better job, or your employee needs to get off their ass and do something. bc you are in violation of licensure.

TV Sets, stereo equipment, wallets... Just kidding. We are required to use only department issued equipment, so I don't need to pilfer from the hospital, so usually its only linens, which I try and do on a strict one for one basis. Sometimes I'll take a blanket or something if the temperature has dropped, but usually its not necessary. I think thought I am guilty of swiping alcohol preps here and there. I can never get them at my station and I use them all the time for various purposes, and its NOT because I'm addicted to the smell or something. Shut up.

I've only really had someone give me a hard time once about taking a sheet, and it wasn't even me, it was my partner. We had brought a patient in and my partner was making up the stretcher and took a, as in one, sheet off of the linen cart. The ER DOCTOR of all people then comes and asks him if we are a part of their system and if not to not take the sheets. My partner then gave him a very strange look but then complied and put the sheet back. We then generally agreed it would kinda of be a step down if not outright degrading to go from MD to sheet police, and maybe he was just having a bad day, and we had a good laugh.

once in awhile we get crap for taking linen... but the hospital doesn't own the linen.. they rent it or something from a supplier. and its some what shared... i bring in pt that i got linen from one hospital.. i take them to another... they dont wash that linen and send it back to them... they use it. but yea... that is odd the doc gave you crap for taking a sheet... but oh well.. you did the right thing. no biggie.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.