taking stuff from hospitals ?(lets be honest)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uhmmmm.... nothing?

My company actually provides me with adequate supplies to do my job :shock:

Ditto, nothing there that I need or want....................

(Except maybe a nurse or two!)

Um, let's see... Valium, Ativan, Morphine.. ooops, did I say that outloud? :lol:

Actually, I do help myself to nitrile gloves as well. I from time to time utilize their linen and pillows (but only my base hospital). Every hospital however is far game for my Drug Rep Pen addiction. No pen with a medication name on the side of it is safe from me.

Devin

Taking things from hospital to restock your truck is accepted where I work but we still get stroppy nurses who challenge us over taking an oxygen mask. Picture the following scenario: we wheel the patient into a curtained bay handing over to the nurse who follows us in. The patient has an O2 mask on, we unplug the mask from our cylinder and plug it into the wall sock, we then take the mask which is hanging on the flow regulator on the wall. The nurse says "what are you doing with our mask?" We say "replacing the one which is on the patient" nurse gets funny about it. Most nurses just accept that we restock at the ED while some get funny.

I have seen medics and EMTs take way more than they should and then transfer it to the boot of their car back on station. This is THEFT and will cost them their career. I have also seen EMTs take drugs from the ED for use on "their friends and family". Not only is this theft but use of these drugs is a criminal offence.

I have a policy now that I always ask permission before I take ANYTHING from the ED including linen. That way your ass is covered if anybody asks "what are you doing with that?" I do not steal and I never would steal as I know what it is like to be stolen from. If I need an O2 mask I ask "do you mind if I replace our O2 mask?" The nurse always says "no, go ahead" and you might wonder why bother asking but I assure you that the one time you don't is the time you end up wearing the copper bracelet for theft!!!

If someone is prepared to steal from a hospital, what else are they prepared to do? Who else are they prepared to steal from? Any theft should be reported because it might be hiding other problems!

The only thing I remember taking from a facility are white sheets (if we run out of the heavy fitted gurney sheets. It makes it easier to transfer a patient later if need be. The linen sheet or fitted blue sheet are covered by another sheet, so they aren't always replaced after every call), and most RT's will take a BVM from the sending facility just in case (our ambulances only carry 1 BVM).

I must say this is a personal pet peeve of mine. People who are taking supplies from hosptials to re-stock their trucks is fine. It's the overstockers that tick me off. If a proper rig check is completed and certain supplies are used, just replace them, don't take advantage of the EMS stock room because you can. For example, I work with a person who oozes pure laziness due to the mentality of 'hey, I like to use the 20g IV caths. Therefore, I will take all 10 that are in the EMS cabinet for my truck because I may use them today.' So now, I have 10 extra 20g IV caths shoved into the IV tray. Next to them are blankets, ALL THE BLANKETS from the EMS linen closet because it may get used tonight in case it gets cold. :roll: :lol:

As far as for my personal use? Hmmmm, I think maybe towels for washing my car at the station. But then again, after I use them, they go back into the linen basket to be dropped off back at the hosptial. So I guess I don't really need to take anything....? :wink:

I don't understand overstocking either, my service has a standard vehicle check list with quantities of every item in the truck. They are sufficient for me to do my job.... I don't need more, if I did they would require more.

My company has a linen exchange program with the local hospitals, so we're not exactly "stealing" those at all.

Besides that though, there really isnt much to take. The other day I borrowed a few 10 drip sets cause all we had were 60's... I asked for them and it wasnt a problem. Occasionally I will get stuff that we dont carry, like pedi O2 sensors (the stickey ones), or child ETCO2 nasal prongs... but I always ask first. Usually its no big deal.

I hope no-one here really seriously steals from the hospitals they bring patients to.

I will restock IV supplies that are hospital specific. Having worked in the ER, I know that nurses don't like to have to switch IV extension sets and tubings while trying to treat the patient. Everything I restock is fine with the ER's. Gloves, on an occasion, if we ran out, but I would ask. If they say no, then I don't. Simple as that. Some of the hospitals restock items for you. They will have the items unlocked in the EMS room or close by. I might grab a couple extra alcohol preps or tegaderms. I don't think they'll send out the supply police for me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.