Idea for safer responses

I'm an old fart but have to say maturity far out weighs age in my book. Know some 40 year olds I would hesitate to have carry the trash out. Know some 20 year olds that get r done. I judge each person on their own merits not their age, color, creed, o wait a minute starting to sound like the hiring policy.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently completed an Emergency Vehicle Operators Course. It is mostly a class room setting with some actual driving portions. Many aspects of Emergency Vehicle Operations were discussed. One topic discussed lead me to an idea to fix a problem we discussed as another topic.

We discussed the fact that some stations in our area have Opticon, which can change traffic lights to give the emergency vehicles a green light. This helps to avoid crossing a dangerous intersection, avoids pushing vehicles into intersections, etc.

In another topic we talked about how it seems many vehicles do not seem to notice you until you are right behind them. We talked about reasons why. Vehicles are being built better today and eliminate a lot of outside noise, including sirens. There was also discussion of how a vehicle can actually move fast enough to make the siren basically ineffective very far infront of the vehicle. I am still trying to grasp the physics of this one.

Well my idea is this and I want to know if anyone thinks this is plausible.

What if all emergency vehicles could be outfitted with a transmitter similar to the opticon, but it would activate a receiver in all passenger vehicles. The receiver in the vehicles would have an alarm like a seatbelt alarm on one of the back up sensors, or even a voice. This would let the driver know that an emergency vehicle is approaching. I am in no way any kind of engineer, but it seems like this would be a workable idea. A vice similar to a GPS could announce "Emergency vehicle approaching." This would make the driver aware and they could them be more alert.

I would think the system might even be able to detect the direction of approach. "Emergency Vehicle approach from rear."

I would think with the engineering of todays vehicle this would not be an expensive addition. Please provide any thoughts or feedback you may have.

Great Idea. One problem I would see in my area (I'm sure this is everywhere) Is the idiots on the cell phones. :roll: They can't even drive and pay attention to what they are doing. Do you think an alarm is going to alert them ? :)

I agree there are many persons under 25 who are responsible drivers, and many that are over 25 that are complete idiots. The problem is that younger people, especially younger males, too often feel it is acceptable or heroic to take risks that others who are older would not. I was one of those stupid kids who did that, but I was smart enough to make it not appear so to people who had any authority over me. My attitude started changing during my 20's and now I am not apt to do anything I feel is risky. I know my situation should not dictate other peoples lives, but insurance companies have good reason why their premiums start coming down at 25.

My five-step plan:

Establish a minimum age of 25 for all EV operators.

Establish a lengthy and comprehensive driver training and education curriculum, which must be successfully completed before getting behind the wheel on duty.

Establish a minimum time working as a non-driver in the back of the ambulance before being allowed to even start the driver training programme.

Establish a high-voltage electrode system in the driver seat that is activated by a button in the patient compartment.

Remove the lights and sirens from the vehicles.

Dust, I like the plan. :)

Too many new EMTs in my area (fresh out of EMT school) are more interested in driving the ambulance than patient care.

Around here, Its very rare for any EMT B or Medic students to be given actual time behind an ambulance driving.

It should be a minimum age of 21 to drive any vehicle. lets face it, kids seem to take longer to become good drivers. Also the ratio of smart young adults to stupid young adults has changed from 2:1, now to 1:100. Vehicles kill too many people to trust just anyone. You wouldn't trust a 18 year old with a pistol, or a bottle of whiskey, so why a 1/2 ton metal comet? until they're 21, get yous a$$ on a bike! that way there wont be so many cars on the road, so many fatalities, and less obese people.

As for driving an ambulance...I could agree with 25, just as long as I could get experience treating patients on back.

We can only control OUR actions behind the wheel. That goes whether you are driving an ambulance, fire truck, or your personal vehicle. Lights, sirens, and air horns do help...don't expect them to part traffic like Moses. Red light, green light, whatever...if you are operating an emergency vehicle, you better be on your A game. I've come to a realization. Most people don't drive very well. I don't care what kind of lights, sirens, air horns, signal activators, or onboard warning devices that are used or being invented. Most drivers are busy talking on the phone, listening to music, yelling at the kids, reading, applying makeup, seeing how far back they can lean in their seats, or looking at THEMSELVES in the mirror to notice or give a damn about an emergency vehicle. It's a fact. Get used to it. It will only get worse. There isn't any magic pill we can take to become better drivers. Education, evaluation, and experience are helpful. There are some "professionals" I won't ride with. PERIOD. The roads today are truly an "it's jungle out there" senario. I'm always aware of my responsibilty when driving emrgency vehicles. If I make the wrong choices, the consequences can be deadly. I like to go home every evening in the same condition that I arrived, if not better. Take care. Be safe.

Shayne

• 2 weeks later...

Dust, I like the plan. :lol:

Too many new EMTs in my area (fresh out of EMT school) are more interested in driving the ambulance than patient care.

It's unfortunate so many of the people in your service would rather drive the ambulance than attend to the patient. Myself I would much rather be the one attending as much as possible because I'm just getting into it. I'm not entering the field to drive an ambulance. Maybe that's just me. I like Dust's ideas for the most part. The only problem is that many services wouldn't have enough drivers with the over 25 rule. I know much of BC would be hooped in that case. BCAS is facing massive retirement numbers in the next 5 years. Also I do think the lights and sirens have a place as long as they are used correctly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.