Solution to NJ EMS problem?

Scrat,

UMDNJ stayed open during the shut down as it was considered an Essential Service (as the State Police didn't shut down). Parts of OEMS remained in service during the shut down. The entire department was not shut down. However, as much of what OEMS does is reviewing complaints and regulations, would EMS as we know it grind to a halt if they closed up shop for a few days? No, which is why they many of the staff were off during that period.

Medic2891,

As for the First Aid council, it wields power only in few places in New Jersey. Bergen County is one, some south Jersey areas as well. However, the vast majority of NJ squads have signed out of the FAC or stay only as a means of getting an invitation to their annual party. They do have some influence only because they know how to whine. However, with the right pressure you can get them to acquiesse (any Garden Staters remember the turmoil with the creation of the EMS Task Force?). And trust me, working loosely with the DHSS I can say you'll NEVER see OEMS become separate in your lifetime. The way to solve that problem is to get quality people in there and have the state actually fund it properly. You have some really good people working there now, but why would you work hard or stay if you're getting paid S**T?

For all the bashing NJ gets, I honestly think it works ok. Could it be better? Sure, but I'm positive every state has their particular problems. My advice to help you avoid an early ulcer is to not expect much from anyone. Don't expect to have quality BLS and you won't be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised when they turn out to be competent. And don't expect quality ALS partners either, that educational process seems to be tanking in several programs (many non-Jersey programs).

Devin

Awesomely said. FAC are awesome whiners too but in my squads case, both our services have the same enemy and they are trying to help us with resolving umm issues with the common enemy.

But in many ways, FAC is a farce and its own members will agree.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already being done in communities where there is a need, same as with EMTs and medics. It is sound logic, even if it does disrupt your hobby.

It has nothing to do with my hobby... If there is a need, the I'm all for that idea. In some places there is not as much of a need, so like I said you have to spend money to make money.

Wow, that's pretty scary right there. :?

MONOC is the only thing I can foresee giving us a problem right now.

Not that I'm defending MONOC, but part of the reason we tend to villify them is that they treat EMS as a business. That seems almost counter-intuitive to what we see EMS as. For the provider, our bottom line is our patient. However, for a business to succeed it has to be run like a business. MONOC has been able to provide care to many in NJ who would have never received it relying on the failing local volunteer agencies. However, I think MONOC got too big too fast and outgrew its billing parameters. Now its forced to shut down units because it can't bill in the same many other agencies are allowed.

I'm very interested to see what the EMS Focus Group comes up with in respect to changes within NJ. Although, I'm really not convinced you'll see a deregulation of ALS service. Especially since there is such a problem regulating BLS units in NJ, it would be difficult to ensure compliance and quality if everyone started running ALS. I have nothing against any particular BLS unit in NJ (ok, that may not be 100% accurate) but we can all agree we know several EMTs who cannot be trusted with sharp instruments B)

Devin

on a side note to anyone who wants free training ..

pay the money up front then write it off on your taxes as a job expense or school or whatever you want to consider it.

i mean, you can write off gambling losses.

i wrote off emt school, my uniforms, gps, pens, jump kit, cell phones etc... and anything else you may need for the job.

the other day i had to call 2 dispatchers and 2 nursing homes on my personel cell about a pt, theres my proof for the write off, i use my 2nd phone a nextel to contact dispatch cuz our radio in the buses always go out.

not to hijack your thread, but this buisness allow's tons of legitimate writeoffs, get and keep receipts !

Scrat,

UMDNJ stayed open during the shut down as it was considered an Essential Service (as the State Police didn't shut down). Parts of OEMS remained in service during the shut down. The entire department was not shut down. However, as much of what OEMS does is reviewing complaints and regulations, would EMS as we know it grind to a halt if they closed up shop for a few days? No, which is why they many of the staff were off during that period.

Medic2891,

As for the First Aid council, it wields power only in few places in New Jersey. Bergen County is one, some south Jersey areas as well. However, the vast majority of NJ squads have signed out of the FAC or stay only as a means of getting an invitation to their annual party. They do have some influence only because they know how to whine. However, with the right pressure you can get them to acquiesse (any Garden Staters remember the turmoil with the creation of the EMS Task Force?). And trust me, working loosely with the DHSS I can say you'll NEVER see OEMS become separate in your lifetime. The way to solve that problem is to get quality people in there and have the state actually fund it properly. You have some really good people working there now, but why would you work hard or stay if you're getting paid S**T?

For all the bashing NJ gets, I honestly think it works ok. Could it be better? Sure, but I'm positive every state has their particular problems. My advice to help you avoid an early ulcer is to not expect much from anyone. Don't expect to have quality BLS and you won't be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised when they turn out to be competent. And don't expect quality ALS partners either, that educational process seems to be tanking in several programs (many non-Jersey programs).

Devin

I'm a jackass. I forgot all about the fact that NJSP stayed open. Ok, I'm retarded. I saved a copy of the Press of AC to carry on my fond memories of NJ!!

True in theory. However there is a max on how much you can write off, and its never even close to what you paid out. Sadly I found that out the hard way in the quest to finish my masters. And tax deductions are not as good as free training.

Devin

masters your talking about many thousands of dollars, im talking possibly 2500$'s in total over a year or 2

Yes, I still had to go to work during the shutdown, and I still got a paycheck during the shutdown.

On to more important things.

1. Abolish the First Grade Council. They are useless, and full of stupid volly hoopies who only care about how shiny their red lights are to feel good about themselves.

2. All EMS agencies, paid and volunteer, MUST be licensed under OEMS. Yeah, the sticker's ugly, but it's worth it.

3. Keep the ALS Hospital-Based, with dual-medics. With how corrupt county governments in NJ are, I really don't wanna work for them.

3.a Keep the two-tiered system. Frees up ALS for ALS patients.

4. Hold the crappy EMTs and Paramedics accountable for their actions.

4a. Hold the EMS organizations accountable for not keeping the ambulances staffed 24-7. NJ is the most densely populated state in the nation; there is no reason that this can't be done. If it means regionalization of BLS units and providing paid staff, oh well. There are other hobbies out there.

5. Teach the EMTs not to be ALS-dependent for everything. This requires education. If anyone pulls the "well, I'm a volunteer card," take their EMT card away.

Now I wanna see how many people I pissed off.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.