EMT-Professional Liability Insurance, Yes or No?

Pro_EMT

I am a volunteer EMT with 2 years experience and going to go paid once my school work lets up. However I was reading an article that explained why getting your own personal insurance is good. They explained that your squads insurance is going to look into the best interest or there company before the defend you.

Here is what i found for EMT insurance quotes (HPSO.COM)

1)

State: NJ

Profession: EMT-B & P

Employment Status: Employed Part Time

Limits of Liability: 1,000,000 / 3,000,000

Recent Graduate: No

Annual Premium: $100

Premium includes state surcharges & Tax: $101.75

------------------------------------------------------------

2)

Profession: EMT-B & I

Employment Status: Employed Full Time

Annual Premium: $145

Premium includes state surcharges & Tax: $147.54

3)

Profession: EMS-Student/Volunteer

Employment Status: Employed Part Time & Part Time

Annual Premium: $75

Premium includes state surcharges & Tax: $76.31

The rates are cheap for volunteers however I may have to see the restriction and better off going with the Paid non volunteer EMT insurance due to the fact i would like to go paid.

Any input or advice would be help full

Here is a rule of thumb you might want to remember

If you have a pocket that is deep then they will go after you.

So if you have a million dollars in liability insurance and the hospital or ambulance has 500K guess who they will be going after.

Sure you can be named in the suit but once they determine your financial ability and as a emt or medic we don't have a huge amount of money they can go after, You will more than likely be dropped from the list.

there are notable exceptions and sure you could get sued but like I say, they can't get blood from a turnip they can take my house and car but most lawyers won't really pursue it if it's going to leave you homeless and destitute.

That's my take on the matter.

I've been in the field for almost 16 years and I have never carried liability insurance. You make yourself too much of a financial target that way.

Here is the real life, you have $1.75 they will go for you.. it costs the same to sue everyone as it does to choose with money or not. As one attorney told me if it just 40 cents, that will pay for postage. It used to be they would only sue the wealthy of them, but not "shot-gun" approach, where everyone involved is named, it is a game to how much one can accumulative can get.

If you think that your service will stand behind you and protect you (even if you are right) you are a fool.

I have malpractice as a nurse and paramedic, considering attorney fees alone is about $15-20,000 just to defend yourself, again even if you win. Can you afford the legal costs and legal fees ?.....

It is worth the peace of mind for a $ 100.00 or so....

R/r 911

I can say that in 22+ years of providing BLS and ALS level care( Volunteer, career 3rd service, Fire Dept.etc) I have never been sucessfully sued. Had some depositions taken, but never sued.

I don't have professional insurance,, I dont think we need it, especially not as a vollyEMT-B.....My take is that the insurance companies just want your MONEY.

Think State Farm after Katrina,,,, all those people who were insured and got F#$@#D.

I say no. Now, if I hit the Power Bal and continued to work as a medic, that might be different.

But if your just joe shmo EMT, Save your money.

Just my 2 cents,,,,

The reason I would like to stress is not so much of loosing the law suit rather, I wonder where people would come up te money for attorney fees... this is my main reason for the liability insurance. Attorneys, fees costs more than most people make yearly..

R/r 911

The reason I would like to stress is not so much of loosing the law suit rather, I wonder where people would come up te money for attorney fees... this is my main reason for the liability insurance. Attorneys, fees costs more than most people make yearly..

R/r 911

I agree with you completly I just wanted to make sure im not the only person who thinks Insurance is worth it.

Ok, let me ask a question, if you are working on the ambulance for your service, shouldn't your service foot the bill for your attorney? I think they should but the real world is that they more than likely won't.

I never did take into account the possbility of having to pay for my own lawyer, with that said, then maybe some sort of insurance to cover the attorney's fees that you will incur but I still feel that malpractice or liability insurance is not a great idea but it's really only like 20 hours or work so maybe it is worth it.

I probably won't get it for me but for others who might want it I'd say if you can afford it then get it.

I had coverage with that company for 4 years. I let it lapse, only because I forgot. I've been meaning to do it again.

Here's the catch though :

I agree you should purchase it.

HOWEVER,

Sorry for cyber shouting : DON'T ADVERTISE IT!

You don't have to disclose it unless you are SUCCESSFULLY sued.

And if you think you employer's got your back, you're sadly mistaken. If you get sued and it's over whatever your employer coverage is, guess who foots the bill? Most likely, they will go after your employer since they usually have more to pay out. But if you get stuck with a sum, now you've got a cushion. Not that I ever plan on needing it, but it's cheap enough to help ensure your house doesn't get taken away!!

I've carried that companies policy for many years. As stated above I don't advertise that I'm covered, BUT it's there just in case the need should ever arise. I don't plan to allow anyone to take my home or anything else I've worked for. The price of the premium will barely keep your car filled with gas for a week these days.

I had coverage with that company for 4 years. I let it lapse, only because I forgot. I've been meaning to do it again.

Here's the catch though :

I agree you should purchase it.

HOWEVER,

Sorry for cyber shouting : DON'T ADVERTISE IT!

You don't have to disclose it unless you are SUCCESSFULLY sued.

And if you think you employer's got your back, you're sadly mistaken. If you get sued and it's over whatever your employer coverage is, guess who foots the bill? Most likely, they will go after your employer since they usually have more to pay out. But if you get stuck with a sum, now you've got a cushion. Not that I ever plan on needing it, but it's cheap enough to help ensure your house doesn't get taken away!!

I agree i never want to get sued nor am i asking for it, but I volunteer & am going paid and I dont get along with my president at my squad- so i dont think they would back me. However, i provide service to a fairly wealthy nieghborhood and they look to get easy money at a vollys expense. I appreciate your input.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.