ncjpj

How long was your EMT-P Program?  

6 members have voted

1. 1.

• One Semester
    • Two Semesters
    • Three Semesters
    • Four Semesters

Hello People, I've been getting lot's of mixed messages from programs on this topic and I'm hoping there is better information from my peers on here. I'm a Basic looking for paramedic programs in southern and western NC and northern SC.

I'm a fairly recent transplant to the East Coast and the programs here seem to be much longer in length than any of my friends did in AZ. I have no interest in spending 2 years or 18 months earning a degree (I already go to university full-time for that jazz), I just want the coursework and clinicals necessary for Medic cert. Does anybody know a Basic-to-Medic program in the area that is one to three semesters in length? Appreciate the help.

Coastal Carolina (aka 4C's) in Jacksonville's is 5 semesters (two fall, two spring, one summer) for an Associate's. 4C's Continuing Education Department's got an 18 month certification program, 5 modules. So we're probably not what you're looking for!

If I'm not mistaken, Cape Fear in Wilmington runs the same but don't quote me on it.

• 1 month later...

The Paramedic program that I am in started in October 2006 and will run until December 2007. I haven't heard of a Paramedic program anywhere around here that is any shorter than that. Honestly, I would be concerned with a program that offers Paramedic certification in lengths shorter than that. But then again, I could be completely wrong. I just know that we are already halfway done with our class time, but we still have a loooong way to go.

Best of luck in finding a program that suits you.

In North Carolina, this is what you're looking at to become a Paramedic:

How to become an EMT…

If interested in a career in Emergency Medical Services (EMS), you first need to take an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) class. Most local community colleges offer EMT courses through their adult continuing education department.

The average EMT class includes 130 hours didactic (classroom) material and 20 hours clinical.

After successful completion of an EMT class, you are eligible to take the state administered exam for certification. Once certified, you may choose to move up through the EMT certification levels. The different certification levels and their training requirements are as follows.

EMT-Intermediate: 225 hours didactic, 75 hours hospital clinical, 100 hours field clinical. Successful completion of a course allows you to take the state exam for certification.

EMT-Paramedic: 400 hours didactic, 250 hours hospital clinical, 350 hours field clinical. Successful completion of a course allows you to take the state exam for certification.

The classes are usually taught through community colleges. If North Carolina accepts your EMT-B certification, you can get into an intermediate class somewhere. Usually, you have to be affiliated with an EMS provider to even take the intermediate class.

The other option is to enroll into a Paramedic program. It's typically a full time 2 year program.

If you need any additional information, let me know.

Shayne

I'm a fairly recent transplant to the East Coast and the programs here seem to be much longer in length than any of my friends did in AZ. I have no interest in spending 2 years or 18 months earning a degree (I already go to university full-time for that jazz), I just want the coursework and clinicals necessary for Medic cert.

Jake, is that you messing around with fake screen names again? :?

Seriously dude, adjust that attitude or do us and yourself a favour by quitting now. We don't need any more "the minimum needed to get a cert" losers in the field. Serious, educated professionals only need apply.

If you are truly serious about becoming a medical professional (not an ambulance driver), then I highly recommend you read DwayneEMTBs excellent post at the top of this page ---> http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...60&start=30

I wish you the best of luck and a change of heart

Jake, is that you messing around with fake screen names again? :?

It's not me Dustdevil. I would never post such dribble.

To the original poster, if you're looking for the fast way to become a medic, I'm afraid there isn't one. To become a medic you will need to invest the appropriate amount of time to cover the cirriculum. Usually, when someone wants something they are willing to do this. If you are wanting to be to run a few times a month a the "Hobbiest Volunteer Rescue Squad" spend a few nights a week and get your EMT-B. Better yet, forget about it and continue with your focused education.

NC community colleges are beginning to offer more and more AAS programs in Paramedic and I for one am happy to see this. It is increasing harder to find the part-time classes, although they are still abundantly available. There is a part-time course in the county where I live which will be a degree program starting in the fall. I only wish they had decided to do that 2 years ago. "sighs"

Another one that does not want to be educated rather a patch and pulse requirement. Sorry, you may be in a University setting already but it appears you have not learned the value of education yet. Just as your major is apparently requiring, there is a reason of actually learning didactic and clinical skills to be applied.

Like others have suggested, if you want to play Paramedic I would choose another form. Unfortunately, I am sure you will find some place that offers "cookie cutter" cook book Paramedic programs.

dummies.jpg