FDNY EMS at Bronx Fire

Theres no need to appoligize, you had your reason for posting it, and thats fine. I watched the video, I know what you were trying to say and yes I agree with you. I think the way the guy videoed this was tasteless though. It was a great job by fire and ems, and thats what i took you meant by posting this. I still disagree with shooting video of ems working on a child inside an ambulance, the patient has the right to privacy as does the ambulance. I don't think it would've been illegal for the cops to take his camera or atleast "remove" him away from the area, as he was warned numerous times to get out of the way. The cops could've done a better job to maintain the scene, but I think they had more important things going on. I myself have photographed at numerous incidents, but you need to use common sense, like i mentioned before it is one thing to video the fire and ems removing the patient from the house, and placing the patient on the strecher and heading to the ambulance, but standing at the back of the ambulance with a camera is tasteless and an invasion of patient privacy.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like your department did the best that they could given a really difficult situation, Asys. I commend you guys and hope that everyone is able to process this event well.

Ok, someone clarify for me what the rights of news media are vs the rights of individuals who DO not desire to have their images in any way shape or form appear on the evening news. Is it assumed consent until denied? Why didn't the cop just say that the patients could not legally express an opinion regarding being filmed, especially the minors, and ask the cameraman to respect that and remember his OWN liability regarding this kind of deal? I know my photographer friend has to be VERY careful RE this kind of liability.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

The video subjectifies a debate in this country that has been raging since the Bill of Rights was signed: Freedom of the Press vs. Right to Privacy.

As public health professionals, it is our job to enforce the right to privacy. That being said, there is nothing that can be done when the videographer has a really good zoom lens.

I took me almost two hours to download this (I have dialup out here inthe sticks) so I could see it but it was worth every second. I am taking a different view by saying if this tragedy moves just one person into making an escape plan, buying a smoke detector, ect. and arming themselves with as much information as they can in order to spare themselves or a loved one after seeing this, then it was worth the effort to post it on youtube. Thanks Asys for offering the link to us.

My thoughts go out to the victims, their families and the firefighters/EMT's at this time.

Why didn't the cop just say that the patients could not legally express an opinion regarding being filmed, especially the minors, and ask the cameraman to respect that and remember his OWN liability regarding this kind of deal?

Onscene, a news photog is going to shoot everything he possibly can. Reason being, maybe there's a 2-second airable segment of the stretcher heading towards the ambulance that won't have the kid in the shot, but if he doesn't record the whole sequence he'll never get that little bit.

That said, minors aren't supposed to be recorded without their parent's consent. If you notice during stories about schools etc, all you see is legs, or the shot is so "zoomed out" that you can't discern faces, etc. In this case, I think what I talked about above is very likely the case. The other 99.99999% of what he shot would never have seen the light of day had he not taken it upon himself to post it.

I have not been able to watch the video yet, as the server is blocked by the company i work for, (no you tube for me).

Having said that you must understand, from LEGAL perspective, no citizen has a right or "expectation of privacy" on or in any public place. city street, park etc. The news people have every right to stand as close as possible and film you, as long as you stay in the public venue, they can not however follow you into a private house, hospital, clinic, or the back of your ambulance (without permission of the owner).

So if you don't like the press hawking your patient, cover them up, put them in the back of your unit and close the doors, we occasionally used to cover the windows with sheets or have other providers block the windows with their bodies.

And as for a cop taking a press camera,, that in NYPD as well as any other dept in the GREAT USA, is tantamount to political and career suicide.

A cop in DC took someone's camera, after yelling at him that he doesn't give permission to be video taped, and then locked the "citizen" up for like dis con or some BS. The "citizen" won a 100 or 150 K dollar civil rights law suit ....

It may be in poor taste, it may seem cold and callous, but the news people are protected, and their NYC press passes say in part "...may cross fire and police lines wherever formed..." ,, they are also signed by both the Fire and Police Commissioner.

In my many years of working in NYC i kind of learned to just ignore them, and pretend like they weren't even there,,, and that seemed to work the best....

My suggestion to the young person from Mass. who was soo upset about this is, get used to it, and figure out a way to cope, because now more than ever if you are in this field, you are in the public eye.... live and in person..

Stay safe...

Former NYC-EMS, LT, Paramedic, Dispatcher, EMT, Paramedic preceptor, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

While that incident was horrific, it must be used as a tool to teach others.

However, the footage should be for Fire/EMS/Police personel only. Billy Bob has no need to see that kind of thing, and the victims and the families deserve some privacy.

God Bless those who died, and watch over those affected :cry:

And a question, does FDNY EMS carry SCBAs?

I saw several of the tan coats with SCBAs slung on shoulders.....intresting if you do, and kudos for being proactive

The reporter has might have freedom of the press, but doesn't the incident commander have control over the scene? Thus, a reasonable accommodation could be made such as standing across the street. This would be similar to free speech restrictions regarding vulgar speech as well as the classic example of yelling fire in a theater when no such fire existed.

To answer the question YES,,,, some of the "Rescue Paramedic" and "Haz Tach" Ambulances do have scott paks on their buses... HAZ-TACH" Lieutenants.. formally EMS SOD.

once again for those not familiar with NYC PRESS PASSES

they say in part " MAY CROSS POLICE AND FIRE LINES WHEREEVER FORMED"... they are signed by fire and police comm..

Free press thats what made/makes this country GREAT.

just my 2 cents.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.