Botched rescue results in fatality

....."Despite the squad's name, it is a private rescue company that is contracted for emergency calls in the town.

We are really separate entities," said Bourne.

The squad is all volunteers, and Bourne said it has been that way for 30 years. The members are trained and certified by the state.

Because of their value of service to the town, the town votes on a regular basis to support them with an annual donation," said Bourne.

For the past five years, the donation has been $4,400. This year, the squad purchased the rescue boat that was carrying Yates across the river.

Mark Attori, an attorney representing the squad, said in a statement, "The people on the Cornish Squad are devastated. Their hearts go out to Mrs. Yates' family and friends. They are doing everything they can to cooperate with the investigation and find out how this terrible tragedy occurred."

"They provided years and years of service to Cornish and Plainfield," said Selectman John Hammond. "I hope that is not forgotten. It was a tragic accident, and I hope it doesn't overshadow what they've done in the area."

Bourne said that regardless of the accident, she doesn't doubt the rescue squad's ability and would not hesitate to call it in an emergency......

How many people will have to die before city administrators and councils awake allowing yahoo's to perform resuce and medical care ? Just because someone is caring and empathetic does not mean they will perform adequately ! Again, they are concerned it does not give them a "black eye" of what they had been doing for the past several years !.. Give me a break! Fortunately, those they provided care for was lucky!

More disturbing ..."The question addressed by Hathaway and answered in his report was straightforward: Did Robert Drye, as the operator of the Cornish Rescue Squad airboat, negligently cause the death of Virginia Yates?

In short, the answer is no... WHAT ? Let's see .. over weighted, inexperienced, non-trained, inadequate equipment.. Wow ! Can we say the good ole boy system..

Now, the city will claim they are not responsible and the service probablyhas no malpractice insurance. Would it not been cheaper and less horrible to do it right the first time ? For God's sake, when are we going to get rid of the whackers and self proclaimed do-gooders ?

R/r 911

For God's sake, when are we going to get rid of the whackers and self proclaimed do-gooders ?

R/r 911

It probably won't happen in our life time Rid......................

All of this aggravation, whackerism, and stupidity is self induced by EMS personnel "thinking". We dug our own grave and very few are willing to listen to a way out. Its sad really, partially the reason why I got out...................................

These guys are just flat out fu%*&@! stupid. The should be criminally charged with negligence. If I ever overloaded my plane and experienced and accident or incident, I would immediately lose my license and be fined, could possibly see some jail time. Why shouldn't these back woods ignorant morans??????

My question is this. This is a river right? Ok we have that figured out. Why did the rescue crews not come in their ambulance near the dock? I'm sure that this area was not a island. It would have said that in the paper right?

So if there was another way to get to the patient why was the ambulance not driven to that location instead of the rescue boat?

I'll bet every one of the rescuers had flotation devices on, but they failed to do so with this lady.

But then another question comes up

she was secured to the board, then to the gurney and the gurney was secured to the boat. If the boat went down would any amount of flotation devices have saved this woman, witnesses said the boat went down like a rock.

Either way, she's dead. I don't think she would have been saved even if she had a vest on.

I am no expert on the jurisdiction of the DOT and NTSB, but I have done a lot of work with them both in the past, and it seems to me that this may well fall under their expanded scope, seeing as how there was indeed money exchanged in this deal, albeit from the city to the squad.

I would think that the NTSB would less likely to be so kind with their judgment in this matter. Probably also not too pleased that they were not notified of it in the first place.

My question is this. This is a river right? Ok we have that figured out. Why did the rescue crews not come in their ambulance near the dock? I'm sure that this area was not a island. It would have said that in the paper right?

So if there was another way to get to the patient why was the ambulance not driven to that location instead of the rescue boat?

I'll bet every one of the rescuers had flotation devices on, but they failed to do so with this lady.

But then another question comes up

she was secured to the board, then to the gurney and the gurney was secured to the boat. If the boat went down would any amount of flotation devices have saved this woman, witnesses said the boat went down like a rock.

Either way, she's dead. I don't think she would have been saved even if she had a vest on.

Ruff, my understanding from what I read on the site that I posted was that she was on a private dock on the VT side, down approx 100 steps. The call to 911 was made from the NH side, which is probably why this company (from NH) was called out. I'm sure there were much better ways to handle it that would have had a better end result. It would suck to stair chair some up 100 steps, but that is the nature of the beast. Though I guess if they immobilized her, stair chair is out. We won't even comment on the immobilization (it's easy to play Monday morning quaterback).

This is the same call i think?

WPTZ.com

Woman Dies During Water Rescue

Crews Try To Raise Boat

SPRINGFIELD, Vt. -- Crews tried to raise a rescue boat that capsized Tuesday night, after a river rescue turned deadly.

The boat is on its side so a salvage team will be called in to try again Thursday.

Tuesday night a water rescue boat from the Cornish, N.H., Fire Department that had picked up an injured woman in the Connecticut River, ran into trouble and sank.

The New Hampshire Marine Patrol said the woman, 60-year-old Virginia Yates from Rockingham Vt., ended up in the river and died.

New Hampshire Fish and Game Department Sgt. Craig Morrocco said Yates was walking down some stairs when she fell and injured her head, causing her to fall into the river.

Morrocco said the rescue boat picked her up and was heading back across the river when it started taking on water and sank.

He said Yates was strapped to a backboard and drowned.

None of the four rescue workers on board was hurt.

The Marine Patrol is investigating what caused the boat to sink.

http://www.wptz.com/news/9721653/detail.ht...01102%20-%2039k

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.