New CPR Method

Icyhot

Do you think the new method of CPR could be more effective?  

16 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, I think that it would be more effective
    • No, I think the current method is the best method
    • Both, I think that they will both be as effective as one another

I saw on the news the other day something that was very interesting. There is a former Paramedic teaching a method of CPR that does not include the rescue breath and relies strictly on continuous chest compression 100 times a minute. I have to say I prefer the current method to the new one being taught by this man but i wanted everyone's opinion.

As many times as I have done CPR and as many saves (which is none) as there have been, I would be willing to try anything but I would really rather keep the current method. I have gotten people back for a short period but with our area being so big and so rural it is hard to keep them with ya. Just my opinion.

Icyhot,

The new method you're referring to has been in the works for awhile now and is nothing new. It is aparently going to be the new standard for layperson CPR. It should not and is not (as far as I know) being taught to Emergency Medical Technicians. However you must remember not all Fire Depts make their Firefighters take the BLS Provider course, some only take the "layperson" course so that might be where the confusion is coming from. As professionals, we should at the very least be certifiying with the AHA BLS Provider method, which is with rescues breaths.

Dan

I have posted this before but I will say this...

This method of CPR is being done by paramedics on the road. Toronto EMS, which is one of the larger EMS services in North America is doing this method currently.

If the arrest is unwitnessed by paramedics or fire then you are to do 2 minutes of compressions only, followed by one minute of traditional CPR BEFORE YOU START ACLS. This includes stopping CPR to look at the rhythm, you hook them up but don't stop CPR.

I will say that this method seems successful in the 4-5 months we have been using it. I have seen/heard of more ROSC's using this method than previous "traditional" methods.

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it. :cry:

Looks like I stand partially corrected...at least in Canada anyways.

As far as I know no healthcare provider in the USA is using that method because the AHA sets those standards and their standards for healthcare providers is what i described above.

Someone in the USA correct me if I"m wrong please

Dan

vs-eh, just wondering if you can explain or provide a link to something that explains exactly why this new method is better in theory. Most of us seem to just be thinking that without getting O2 into the body, there's no point in pumping blood... obviously there's more to it than just this so I'm curious to know how it works so well.

At the moment we are still required to do the standard AHA cpr for healthcare providers except when/if you don't have bvm/pocket mask (and O2) to ensure bsi....our paramedic students were told to just do chest compressions in that case, unless they feel comfortable doing mouth-to-mouth. AHA has put out new guidelines for the layperson with the "just chest compressions" only cpr.....AHA instructors were given the information recently, but it hasn't been implimented in the "classroom" as of yet, or it wasn't last month here. One of the reasons for the layperson to just do chest compressions is that with just a pocket/face mask or mouth to mouth you'll give person only about 16% O2.......we breath in about 21% from the atmosphere......so to simplify things and seeing as there isn't THAT much benefit from layman's 16% ......if ems has been called.......circulating the O2 already in the bloodstream would be about the same as them trying to give rescue breaths and do chest compressions and monitor patient's condition......learning to use an AED that could be available to buy time for the patient when ems has been called would be more important.........

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.