Which EMT-B field guide is the best?????

ambulancegirl

I carry two guides - one is the pocket version of my regional protocols, the other is comprised of two, double-sided pages of that I wrote up myself.

The guide I wrote for myself has stuff like pediatric vitals, indications and contraindications for the few meds we give, summary of our major trauma and stroke protocols, documentation reminders, and anything else that I'm afraid I might forget in the field. When it wears out I just print another from my computer. The pocket version of my regional protocols has everything else I'm going to need, but I find that I seldom have to refer to it.

I second getting a pocketbook with your protocols, that's always a good thing o start with. Also if you are going to get a field guide go with the ALS version. It has more useful info in it, just ignore the skills you can't do, but i've found its just a more informative guide and helpful when working in the field. Just my .02

I like to carry my brain w/ me, b/c it won't look very good to the pt. if you sit there reading a book to figure out how to treat them..

But I bought a PDR for each ambo to have on hand for medication look ups for the PCR, or to assist w/ poison contol matters.. I.e. correct spellings, uses, etc.

To be honest, I don't see a point for EMT-B field guides. The scope of practice truely isn't large enough to allow for critical thinking. Yes, critical thinking is good, but when you're limited to O2, oral glucose, and activated charcol (using NREMT scope), than you shouldn't have a problem with choosing treatments. A PDR is helpful for that "is this overdose truely dangerous" questions and you can use it to look up more medication info than you will ever get in a field guide.

To be honest, I don't see a point for EMT-B field guides. The scope of practice truely isn't large enough to allow for critical thinking.

I agree with your premise, but not with your conclusion.

There are plenty of things that would be quite useful for the EMT-B to have in such a notebook. As already mentioned, pedi vital signs are elusive under stress. Lots of anatomical and physiological factoids are also good to have on hand. I don't care to remember how many years I practised without yet being able to remember which abdominal organs were where. Lists of common prescription meds and their uses are invaluable in the field. MCI triage protocols are so rarely used that it is nice to be able to quickly review them on the way to a known multiple victim incident. Glasgow Coma Scale. Stroke Scale. Trauma Scale. Pupillary diagnostics. Burn charts. That's just off the top of my head. Even just a basic should -- even an experienced one -- can benefit from access to this info on the fly.

I'm sorry that I don't have any experience with any of the BLS field guides to be able to offer you any advice from personal knowledge. However, I do agree that you may be better off getting an ALS field guide instead, as the ones I have seen seem to have most of the info I mentioned above, and will allow you to reference higher for your own info. Good luck!

I agree with getting an ALS version,, also carrying a pocket guide to your protocols is a good idea. It will have:

local poison control numbers, ER numbers, Med Control numbers, What hospital is a trauma, peds burns etc.

as far as the run of the mill book go to:

www.informedguides.com

I have the 14th edition and it is 170 pages and has a lot of good stuff in it.

I would recommend that you do a little research and find the book that is layed out to suit you. There are so many of those out there. You need to have something that is easy for you to search through and keep handy while being out of the way. Some of those things are so thick it ain't even funny. Others aren't alcohol fast or water proof. I recommend a little research.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.