Oral glucose

EMTBgirl

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not an option for BLS providers in most of the US. Nor should it be.

Do a search on glucagon and BLS providers and you'll find it has been discussed at beaten to death. Let's please not rehash the same dead arguments here. Thanks.

-be safe

Oh my goddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!!!!NnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Please no rehashing, thanks. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I'll try to parphrase the local protocols: Try to administer orange juice to the patient. If the patient cannot hold the glass, it is safe to presume that the patient cannot swallow. If this is the case, then do not administer anything by mouth.

So following the Snickers bar anectdote (great story!), logic would dictate that a tube full of instant glucose administered in a like manner would have dramatic positive effect.....

Seriously, though, I've always thought that oral glucose is a monumental waste of time. I wouldn't stuff anything into the mouth of an un-or-semi-conscious patient. Time for D-50, or Glucagon if unsuccessful at IV access. No matter what, they still have to eat something. So if they're awake enough to gobble on some orange pasty crap, why not just get a nice glass of OJ, or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or something? Seems to me the boost in BGL is better and longer lasting from real nutrition anyway.

Just my $0.02. .... I've always wanted to say that.... "my $0.02." Never said that before. "Just my $0.02". ...there, I said it again.

Man, I'm in a smart-aleck mood today.

So following the Snickers bar anectdote (great story!), logic would dictate that a tube full of instant glucose administered in a like manner would have dramatic positive effect.....

You'd probably get a faster reaction, too, as the body wouldn't have to melt the chocolate first. :shock: :shock::lol:

Just my $0.02. .... I've always wanted to say that.... "my $0.02." Never said that before. "Just my $0.02". ...there, I said it again.

Hey! I just found six cents! Woohoo! ;)

-be safe

Paramedicmike thank you for the alternate perspective... being fresh out of school I still have faith that our protocols are whats always best for the patient. I never considered the aspiration perspective, but it makes perfect sense. Appreciate the eye opening,

Mobey

Please tell me you are joking? You honestly believe that your protocols are ALWAYS the best? Wow. Just wow....

Well, here we have more proof that global warming is a load of crap.

Obviously there is some record breaking brain-freeze going on in Canada lately. This is the first time I ever recall hearing one of them, much less two of them, extolling the virtues of cookbook medicine.

WTF? :?

I was wondering when the bashing was going to start..........dustdevil ease-up man, must admit Canadian medics have more leanway on infield P@P. Nova Scotia is the only Province to be CASS accredited in Canada, we are doing alot in the field. Starting CPAP and TNK this fall. So, the cookbook medicine is going a long way eh.

Dustdevil check out www.emergencyhealthsevicesnovascotia.ca, then get back to me instead of putting up a typical RN response in bashing medics.

Take care

Sled

If you think I was bashing medics or Canadian EMS, then you totally misread my last post. :?

I'll let somebody else explain it, if need be, but suffice it to say I was very definitely not bashing medics or Canadian EMS. Far from it.

Oh my goddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd!!!!!!NnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Please no rehashing, thanks. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Hmmmmmm...........

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.