Oral glucose

EMTBgirl

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the reason that Glucagon is not, and should not be an option for BLS providers is that it causes the liver to dump all of its glucose stored (if any), and then the entire body is depleted of any reserve fuel. At least that's my oversimplified understanding of its mechanism of action. Now watcha gonna do if it doesn't work? Bad juju. Very bad.

Now you're going to be screaming through town L&S with a patient you can do nothing for. With the knowledge that you may have caused that situation. Please, anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Becksdad,

In simple terms, you got it. Also, when it's not working or in the time it takes to work there is the potential for other complications to arise that are best managed by a paramedic. Good work for understanding limitations.

To others,

A simple search should yield one all of the information that they desire on the glucagon/BLS debate. We don't need to rehash that once again here as well in this thread.

Shane

NREMT-P

Just my $0.02. .... I've always wanted to say that.... "my $0.02." Never said that before. "Just my $0.02". ...there, I said it again.

Man, I'm in a smart-aleck mood today.

OK, now we have allowed for inflation and COLA (Cost OF Living Adjustment), and broken even. And yes, it was a good time for a smart- aleck mood!

In simple terms, you got it. Also, when it's not working or in the time it takes to work there is the potential for other complications to arise that are best managed by a paramedic. Good work for understanding limitations.

Well, looks like BLS providers are not Paramedics in the USA, a shame I think u believe u are better then a BLS provider.

I did go to Davenport College in Grand Rapids in 94 and did get my NREMT-P and the EMT-1 did go over diabetic meds, so no ambulance companies allow BLS to do the above.

This research paper sounds interesting, what,where and who did it?

The longer without sugars the braincells are cooking and that is bad (is it not) that is my KISS aproach.At least you have tried and squezzzzzzzzz out alittle glycogen for some reserve fuel ;and our PCP'S EMT-1 don't go back CODE 1 or hot because the pt stabilizes to a point where a ALS can administer D50. Or better yet, treat and release ,and save the ER for a sick person.

Glycogon

A hormone excreted by the pancreas that increases the level of blood sugar by stimulating the release of glycogen from the liver..............glycogen is broken down to glucose.

Chris

Oh Thimine 100mg IVP if malnurished as well :wink: thought I would throw that in for fuel for the fire. LOL

Well, looks like BLS providers are not Paramedics in the USA, a shame I think u believe u are better then a BLS provider.

I'm not quite sure how to take your comment here. With regard to my abilities to manage patients and for procedures that are authorized through protocol and med control, I would say that I am more capable of managing a patient than a BLS provider in the United States. I can't speak on the Canadian EMS system as i have no experience or in depth knowledge on the matter. This feeling has nothing to do with a feeling of superiority, rather it has everything to do with scope of practice and more importantly education. In some calls, there is no difference between an ALS provider and a BLS provider with regard to the management of the patient. In the case of a patient having a hypoglycemic episode or altered mental status of some other nature, an ALS provider would be much more qualified to handle the call. This includes BLS management of that patient, and the potential ALS management. It's great that you passed the NREMT-P program. I have too. What's your point and what are you getting at? And you're right, a paramedic isn't a BLS provider in the United States. A paramedic is an ALS provider, inclusive of the complete BLS scope of practice. We're certainly entitled to have differing view as we seem to here. I don't feel that glucagon should be in the BLS scope of practice, and you'll find others that agree with me. You will also find others that disagree with me. I'm okay with it. I don't feel as though I have anything to prove to anybody here.

Shane

NREMT-P

Now that all that is out in the open, why don't you go back, do a search and read up on this topic which has already been beaten to death?

It's not hard, really. You can find the link to the search function at the top of the page.

Please! Save yourself, and us, the hassle of repeating things over again. Do a search! It's easy! It's fun! It's free! And it'll probably answer all of your questions, address all of your concerns, and more!

Or is laziness just too easy? (Is that a silly question?)

-be safe

The term Paramedic is used for all now in Canada

PCP -PRIMARY CARE PARAMEDIC LEVEL 1

ICP -INTERMEDIATE CARE PARAMEDIC LEVEL 2

ACP -ADVANCE CARE PARAMEDIC LEVEL 3

CCP -CRITICAL CARE PARAMEDIC LIFEFLIGHT

In 1 comment it looked like a ALS Paramedic was downing a BLS Paramedic :) and I thought that was a shame you guys/gals where doing this. We have had success with PCP giving this med once until a ALS unit arrived icp,acp,ccp. But we have units close to each other to back one up.

Some how the web page I put up isn't working so type it in and will show how our CASS system works here.......thanks guys.

Remember teamwork and the pt, gotta go finished a 24 hr shift :shock: and the baby is up.

Be Safe

Chris

:lol:

The term Paramedic is used for all now in Canada

Apparently they didn't get that memo in Alberta.

Must have been lost with the TPS reports.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.