Oral glucose

EMTBgirl

I have never seen a protocol say to give glucose by mouth for an unresponsive patient. They can't protect their airway! Why stick somthing in their mouth and take the chance of them aspirating? BLS providers in my region can give Glucagon in diabetic emergencies as long as they have attended a local class instructing them.

oh, I heard a story of a guy that recieved Mrs. Buttersworth's where the sun don't shine and it worked.

Same in my area... giving oral glucose by mouth to an unresponsive patient is out of the question. Glucagon is the better option, however only an ALS unit can administer it.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick it up their butt, squeeze.

Do it. .

If your protocols or OMC tell you to do it. I've heard of it, I've read about it; but it's not an option, according to our BLS protocols.

Yea, I'm not kidding. Do it. It will work, and they wont be mad for long once they realize you saved thier life.

HAHA - actually, I didn't read the entire thread and had no idea that someone else posted that. Yes, I know it works. But, I said don't do it because most people do not have protocols to do it.

And yet again, I ponder... why can't basics give rectally administered glucose?

Done in a sterile manner (which the Mrs. Butterworth's wouldn't be, yurck) it could pose little risk to the patient and give basics another option with that unconscious, unresponsive diabetic.

What's the worst you could do at that point? If you know what you're doing you're not going to damage the patient.... and excess will naturally be disposed of later...

Sorry, I know I've asked this one before. Just wondering why it hasn't been considered more. Makes sense to me, but then again, I'm not a doctor, just a basic...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

And yet again, I ponder... why can't basics give rectally administered glucose?

Done in a sterile manner (which the Mrs. Butterworth's wouldn't be, yurck) it could pose little risk to the patient and give basics another option with that unconscious, unresponsive diabetic.

What's the worst you could do at that point? If you know what you're doing you're not going to damage the patient.... and excess will naturally be disposed of later...

Sorry, I know I've asked this one before. Just wondering why it hasn't been considered more. Makes sense to me, but then again, I'm not a doctor, just a basic...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

You wouldn't even need to do it in a sterile fashion. Ever see how many nasty little bugs live in your intestines? You could probably drop the syringe or whatever you are using for delivery on the floor and it would still be cleaner. Definetly a possibility, though I would like to see some literature stating that there is enough uptake to make a difference.

On a seperate note, anyone interested in being a participant in a study looking at a novel method of glucose delivery please PM me. Details to follow after you commit (how's that for informed consent? IRB anyone?).

• 5 months later...

I was taught in my EMS class here in washington and as a protocol to us that you never give anything by mouth to anyone that is unconcious. I have unfortunately been on the scene as a trainee when I was new out of class to a unconcious diabetic and the two guys I was with gave the pt oral glucose and it didn't do a thing since she wasn't able to swallow. There is too big of a aspiration issue.

glucose-spray.jpg

What about this stuff? I ordered it at CVS, costs about $7.95 each. Waited a good long while, don't usually have any problems, but I finally did. Two squirts, a very small amount, like not even enough to pool inside my mouth. This brought my BGL from 56mg/dl to 122mg/dl in less than five minutes. It sort of coats the skin, rather than running anywhere. Don't let the flavor deceive you, it doesn't taste like orange or raspberry, it tastes like bug spray. But it works. The suggested dose is 3 to 5 sprays. I believe it was made for diabetics who are on a diet (that's what I perceived from an article anyway), trying to cut some pounds. However, seems like it would work fine for an emergency situation. My case wasn't emergency, even if you consider 56 to be too low, depends on the individual. Just seemed easier than cooking something. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.