Oral glucose

EMTBgirl

You don't give anything by mouth to an unconscious pt. or anyone with an altered LOC. If they aspirate glucose, it is a bad day for everyone. If they are unconscious, how does he know if they need glucose anyway?? We get the ABC's and then check a blood sugar as well as a few other things when it comes to U/U pt's. If they need the sugar, we give glucose via IV/IO. I hope you let him in on this trade secret. Take it easy.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No we can't, but I am in my last semester of paramedic school, so I just wanted to explain what a medic would do in that case.

Looks at forum title... Hmm, I thought we were in the BLS section and D50 and IV/IO access isn't BLS.

Looks at forum title... Hmm, I thought we were in the BLS section and D50 and IV/IO access isn't BLS.

What's more, you don't give any indication you're in medic school. You say you're a basic. You're talking in the BLS forums on a BLS topic. Further still, you present yourself in such a manner that implies basics in your area complete IV/IO access on patients and push meds through them. You offered no such qualifying statement that you were a medic student until called on it.

It may be wise for you to indicate at which level you're commenting. If you're talking as a BLS provider, say so. If you're talking from an ALS provider standpoint, say so (but qualify yourself as still being a student). Otherwise, you'll be called on it. And people here can be a bit, shall we say, merciless.

-be safe

I am going to reiterate with qualifications, what I stated earlier. This is my own wording.

Under my local BLS protocols in the FDNY EMS (specific enough, I hope), give the orange juice. If the patient is not mentating ($0.50 word for mentally processing things), to the point that the patient is unable to hold the glass, the EMT can safely presume that the patient will be unable to swallow. Nothing by mouth should be administered, as this now creates the potential for aspiration, on top of whatever all else is wrong with the patient.

Package the patient for transport, and make the decision when to transport. Which is the shorter time frame, transport time to the nearest appropriate ED, or ETA of the nearest available Paramedic crew to your location, or an intercept by the Paramedics on the way to the ED? Follow accordingly.

I have never seen a protocol say to give glucose by mouth for an unresponsive patient. They can't protect their airway! Why stick somthing in their mouth and take the chance of them aspirating? BLS providers in my region can give Glucagon in diabetic emergencies as long as they have attended a local class instructing them.

oh, I heard a story of a guy that recieved Mrs. Buttersworth's where the sun don't shine and it worked.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.