Does anyone else see the problem with this?

scratrat

^

Meh, lights and sirens don't cure or protect stupid. There's a difference between being legally able to do something (i.e. you won't get a ticket for running a red with your l/s on) and being protected from liability.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone here post the laws in Pennsylvania in regards to the Emergency vehicles running lights and sirens and using due regard while entering any intersection, either stop signs and/or traffic lights? It would be greatly appreciated.

As far as the post goes, I hope everyone was okay..... and I really hope both parties get severe remediation from their deptartments. I cannot say more due to the conflict in laws from state to state..... no other opinion w/o 100% facts first. Just my two cents!

^

3105. Drivers of emergency vehicles.

(a) General rule.--The driver of an emergency vehicle, when responding to an emergency call

or when in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violatorof the law or when responding to but not upon

returning from a fire alarm or other emergency call, may exercise the privileges set forth in this

section, but subject to the conditions stated in this section.

(:lol: Exercise of special privileges.--The driver of an emergency vehicle may:

(1) Park or stand, irrespective of the provisions of this part.

(2) Proceed past a red signal indication or stop sign, but only after slowing down as

may be necessary for safe operation, except as provided in subsection (d).

(3) Exceed the maximum speed limits so long as the driver does not endanger life or

property, except as provided in subsection (d).

(4) Disregard regulations governing direction of movement, overtaking vehicles or

turning in specified directions.

© Audible and visual signals required.--The privileges granted in this section to an

emergency vehicle shall apply only when the vehicle is making use of an audible signal and visual

signals meeting the requirements and standards set forth in regulations adopted by the department.

(d) Ambulances, blood delivery vehicles and human organ delivery vehicles.--The driver of

an ambulance, blood delivery vehicle or human organ delivery vehicle shall comply with maximum

speed limits, red signal indications and stop signs. After ascertaining that the ambulance, blood

delivery vehicle or human organ delivery vehicle will be given the right-of-way, the driver may

proceed through a red signal indication or stop sign.

(e) Exercise of care.--This section does not relieve the driver of an emergency vehicle from

the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons.

http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotforms/veh...e/chapter31.pdf

Personally I don't except "Wave off's" or calls to my dispatcher saying your officer is trying to stop me. I stop the car and I.D. the driver. We have had several police impersonators with fake badges, real stolen badges, and loaded guns, so I stop and I.D. the person. So the FF was wrong to not stop and explain the situation. He is also wrong for responding with family.

As for the trooper,, I would have followed the van to the scene and then taken appropriate police action. But I would not have cut him off and caused an accident.

They were both wrong.... the question is who was wronger.?????? LOL

I dunno.

• 4 weeks later...
I still find it hard to believe that they would let people have L&S in their own vehicles. :shock:

Nowhere that I know of allows volunteer fire/ems providers to operate sirens in their POVs. Lights, sure. Here in Virginia, you're allowed to operate no more than 2 seperate emergency lights, red in color.

Whether you do run lights/sirens or not, career or volly, POV or Ambulance, it all comes down to being safe.

Let's make sure we all go home each night.

I think we need to be careful using words like "running emergent" in this case. Should we even be running "emergent" with our families in the vehcile? If he was in his POV, I'm assuming his flashers (as described in the article) to be his standard four way flashers. This is in no way an emergent response. Even if he was running an emergency light in his POV, they are deemed courtesy lights (at least in CT) and don't give the driver of a vehicle any authority to violate a single traffic law. If he was doing 85 in a 55, that is reckless driving and if a trooper was trying to initiate a traffic stop and he failed to stop then he was evading the officer. The officer did go to extreme measures to end the pursuit and that issue should be addressed as well. The officer may or may not have known who else the guy had in the vehicle with him.

80-85 MPH becomes to fast (legally) when the speed limit on most interstates is 65 (maybe 70) in some areas. Assuming a speed limit of 65, he is traveling +/- 15% over the speed limit. In Connecticut, anything over 20 MPH over the limit and you may be charged with wreckless driving which involves a mandatory loss of license.

I don't condone the actions of either of these guys, but the officer at least had a reason to try to initiate a stop.

Shane

NREMT-P

First of all agree with everyone that he was an idiot to endanger his family and the public. The cop was equally a fool.

Now a comment on interstate speeds, in west Texas I-10 is posted at 80mph for a large part of it ( many other interstates and state highways are at 75mph and few are lower than 70mph ). If this guy would have been on I-10 would he have turned on flashers and driven his minivan a 110mph to respond? Inquiring minds want to know.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.