Pregnancy and EMS

I understand Dust what your point is, as being part responsible as an employee if your going to plan a family.. etc.. However; when a manager describes they do not offer such benefits and will seek ways of termination to justify them not having to provide such, is just piss poor management. This would be the same type of manager if one get hurts on the job, etc. and has to file workmen's comp, they would find a "loop hole' not to maintain or keep the person. We have seen it before.

Part of the problem in EMS is the majority of administration is just as uneducated as the medics working for them. (Other wise they would demand educated medics.... another rant) most are field medics promoted upwards. Sorry. a company should be stable enough to pay basic benefits for their employees. If you can't provide at least the basics of business, then get the hell out! Allow someone else that can and or as we discussed before someone else will eventually provide.

R/r 911

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part of the problem in EMS is the majority of administration is just as uneducated as the medics working for them. (Other wise they would demand educated medics.... another rant) most are field medics promoted upwards. Sorry. a company should be stable enough to pay basic benefits for their employees. If you can't provide at least the basics of business, then get the hell out! Allow someone else that can and or as we discussed before someone else will eventually provide.

Absolutely agreed! Excellent point. It's just not that simple for the employer though. Providing the "benefit," while imperitive, is only half the problem. The other half is dealing with the instability this creates within your team. Who works for this employee while she feeds her maternal urge for three months? What do we do with this employee when mama decides she wants her job back? Fire the one who stepped up to help out during the shortage? Screw that.

I just believe it should work both ways. The employee needs to respect the employeer as well as vice versa. If you can't afford to have a baby, don't get knocked up and moan about how society won't provide for you. Contrary to what Hillary Klinton thinks, we are responsible for our own offspring, the "village" be damned. And there is no compelling shortage of human beings in this country that we really need to encourage anybody to procreate.

Several things going on here...where to start?

Congratulations on the incoming child.

Good luck with the employment situation. Along the lines that Rid and Dust have brought up, have you considered talking to your local labor board? They might be able to give you some direction that will actually apply to your situation. We can make all kinds of suggestions, but without knowing the legalities of the area, they are just suggestions.

As a man who has worked with near-term partners, please stop working if you are having trouble lifting. You are putting yourself, your child, and your partners at risk every time you have to exert yourself. I don't know how the system you are in works, but if you run any calls with you and your partner without backup, this is terribly unsafe.

Your partner may not say anything to you, but you can bet they are cringing at the thought of turning a simple, single patient scene into an instant MCI.

Good points as always Azcep. As well as I always caution any pregnant female of the potential risks of exposure to childhood diseases such as chicken pox, measles, etc.. even standing or being near an ER or in the field one can be exposed much more than one realizes. As well as many of the blood borne pathogens.

Although, not trying to hijack a post, Dust points out some very interesting and important issues that we do not probably adress in the forums. Since majority of the EMS personnel is usually of gestational age, one should be informed of risks, employment requirements in regards to pregnancy. This probably should be discussed in EMT school, which I doubt is.

Females need to adress these questions when applying onto a company, as well as if possible think ahead if planning to become pregnant. It is part of the responsibility of the employee to recognize the needs of the employers as well. Employers understand "things happen" but, as well the employee needs to realize the other side of the coin as well and be expected for the outcome.

R/r 911

If you're lifting, you should not be working past the 1st trimester probably.

It's a federal law for them to let you take family leave. It's called the Family Leave Act. It is required by law!!!! If they refuse, threaten lawsuit on a federal level. HOWEVER, they are within their rights to repost your position after (I think) 12 weeks. Which only means your job may or may not be available after your return from leave. And another note, if they are so hell bent on not allowing you time off, you should consider leaving for alternative work. That sounds to me like they don't care about their employees, so I would take this as my cue to leave.

One thing you must remember about the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) laws is that they do NOT take effect until you have been employed with the company for a minimum of a year. Then it only allows you a certain amount of time off per year. FMLA (if I remember correctly) allows you to take you to 9 weeks at a time with pay and up to 6 months without pay.

If you're lifting, you should not be working past the 1st trimester probably.

It's a federal law for them to let you take family leave. It's called the Family Leave Act. It is required by law!!!! If they refuse, threaten lawsuit on a federal level. HOWEVER, they are within their rights to repost your position after (I think) 12 weeks. Which only means your job may or may not be available after your return from leave. And another note, if they are so hell bent on not allowing you time off, you should consider leaving for alternative work. That sounds to me like they don't care about their employees, so I would take this as my cue to leave.

One thing you must remember about the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) laws is that they do NOT take effect until you have been employed with the company for a minimum of a year. Then it only allows you a certain amount of time off per year. FMLA (if I remember correctly) allows you to take you to 9 weeks at a time with pay and up to 6 months without pay.

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate all the helpful hints. I have heard of the FMLA and I understand it completely. I have been with this department for less than a year and I do not expect elaborate measures to be taken to accommodate me. Most of my beef is that the director refuses to even discuss the matter. As for the comment:

A very wise bumper sticker philosopher says, "poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

These issues should be thoroughly considered and reconciled by the prospective mother well before she gets herself knocked up. You don't just choose to have a baby at a poor time in your life and blame the inconvenience on your employer. Unless, of course, the employer is also the father.

I doubt that you are a father. I did not get knocked up, I got pregnant. It is not a poor time in my life. I'm married, my husband has a good job and well established in our community and is very supportive. We have a nice home, two fully functional vehicles, a dog, and many other responsibilities. I do not blame my director for my inconvenience, I'm just asking for some consideration into the fact that I am a very good EMT and am constantly working to get better and learn more. I intend to work for that company for a very long time and I just need to know what opportunities exist. That's called good business. That's why there are laws set up - to ensure rights are protected. I don't need free hand outs - just a little help like everyone else.

I am very excited about my son being born and I shouldn't have to give up my niche in life just because I've become a mother. Fathers don't have to do that. I'm just trying to keep up.

Thanks again, and I'll use your advise!

K, just to clarify my point, I was not aiming any of that at you or your situation specifically. I believe you stated your case quite well, and I did not mean to imply that you yourself were being unreasonable. I do not believe that at all. I was responding more to the suggestions that employers (not just this one) should take responsibility for their employee's family planning. I apologise if you felt that I was judging you personally, as that certainly was not my intention. I value you personally as a member of my EMT City family, and I do wish you, your family, and your dog the much happiness.

7. Why are people on this Forum so mean?

quote stolen from Michael..............hope you don't sue. :wink:

So long as you restore the context.

[web:a24edf857a]http://blog.aruba.it/user/contromnibus/Upload/emoticon%20occhiolino.jpg[/web:a24edf857a]

Otherwise, Michael (hereinunder: "Plaintiff") asserts chaser (hereinunder: "Defendant") did purposely, maliciously, and with full knowledge of the predictable consequences to the reputation, honor, and earned notoriety of said Plaintiff, libelously portray said Plaintiff in such manner as deliberately to be out of keeping with Plaintiff's own actual and apparent bearing and falsely implying his own ideals, values, and prized aspirations.

To wit: The contested Intellectual and Moral Property substantial to "FAQ #7" was at no time, is not now, and shall never be construed to represent any sentiment, tone, or content of any Inquiry propounded by said Plaintiff on his own behalf, but, to the contrary, was composed and published to represent the sentiment, tone, and content of Inquiries repeatedly embodied in a Frequently Asked Question propounded by other Citizens on this Forum.

Such acknowledgement deemed implied in Defendant's reiteration and juxtaposition to an adjacent text-based semiotic facial expression [referencing Exhibit A: Frame #35 in chaser's Standard Catalogue of Emoticon Alibis],

[web:a24edf857a]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/08/Duchenne-FacialExpressions.jpg[/web:a24edf857a]

Plaintiff petitions this Court to acknowledge Plaintiff's release of Defendant from (self-imputed) allegations of theft, to be substituted by the term "learned borrowing."

Just this once.

[web:a24edf857a]http://home.hetnet.nl/~zicco/snoopy/snoopy06.gif[/web:a24edf857a]

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.