Pregnancy and EMS

Okay so I got job in a new town where we work 24-48s and the place is run like a business - not an EMS family like my other department. I got pregnant soon after being hired and I have had a quite a few problems because of it. First of all, my department doesn't have any type of maternity leave set up and my director isn't exactly in a hurry to get anything firgured out. On top of that, he said that the last 2 women who have been pregnant have been fired for 'other reasons'. But the big problem is that I don't know when I should quit working. This isn't a hard job, necessarily. But, when you are tired, sore, and sick all the time, it becomes really hard. My doctor said that since there isn't any light duty, and would lose the income, that I could work as long as I felt comfortable. I need the money but it is already much harder to lift. I'm at 25 weeks right now. So my question - how long should I lift for? What have been your experiences and have you had any complications from continuing to lift our not so light patients?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I’ve had people come on duty that have like 2 days to go… :roll:

My advice: If you already find it hard to lift, stop lifting!

If there is no maternity leave then you and your boss need to sit down and talk about what’s going on. Maybe you (whilst pregnant) need to slip down a notch and do a job more suited such as comms or being a paper pusher just until you’ve had the little one and feel comftable to work to your full capabilities again.

If you're lifting, you should not be working past the 1st trimester probably.

It's a federal law for them to let you take family leave. It's called the Family Leave Act. It is required by law!!!! If they refuse, threaten lawsuit on a federal level. HOWEVER, they are within their rights to repost your position after (I think) 12 weeks. Which only means your job may or may not be available after your return from leave. And another note, if they are so hell bent on not allowing you time off, you should consider leaving for alternative work. That sounds to me like they don't care about their employees, so I would take this as my cue to leave.

Crikey!

Mate, if i didn't know you were 17 nd male id almost think youd had a baby yourself :shock:

LMAO! Well god I hope not! :wink:

We've just had a couple of those extemly dedicated (Obsessed) johnos comin out on duty when really they should be in hospital :shock:

We had a gal on our service work up until she was due. We were sympathetic towards her whe she had days when she didnt feel well but she had no complications and worked up until the very end. I think a lot of it depends on how well the pregnancy is going and how you feel. I personaly have never had to deal with this.

Congrats on your soon to be bundle of joy!

It's a federal law for them to let you take family leave. It's called the Family Leave Act. It is required by law!!!! If they refuse, threaten lawsuit on a federal level.

Sure, but they do not have to pay you for that. I think that is the problem that is concerning K. "Family Leave" is nothing but a fancy name for being able to quit your job and come back later. Not really a "benefit." If you're a valued employee, coming back would not be a problem, no matter how many weeks it's been.

And another note, if they are so hell bent on not allowing you time off, you should consider leaving for alternative work. That sounds to me like they don't care about their employees, so I would take this as my cue to leave.

Word. But I can't really blame businessmen who hold this attitude either.

My doctor said that since there isn't any light duty, and would lose the income, that I could work as long as I felt comfortable. I need the money but it is already much harder to lift. I'm at 25 weeks right now. So my question - how long should I lift for? What have been your experiences and have you had any complications from continuing to lift our not so light patients?

Why not change the question that you're asking your doctor and ask him at what point (if any) all of the additional lifting could pose a potential harm to the baby? Unfortunately, many places don't offer much for a paid leave of absence when someone gets pregnant. These are all things that need to be considered before (ideally) someone becomes pregnant to make sure that they can handle the additional stresses.

Congrats and good luck working with your company and your doctor.

Shane

NREMT-P

This is a question you need to discuss with your obstetrician. They can inform you better on this. Each person should be judged individually per case. Most services require a not of allowing one to continue to work instead of vice versa.

Sorry about your employer being an arse. If they cannot afford benefits such a paid maternity leave, they need to learn to be better business managers. I would seek FWLA and seek legal advice of them describing them "not having maternity leave" be sure to file a complaint if possible. If termination occurs as they hinted for another reason, you might have grounds for wrongful termination and can seek retribution. These type of mangers need to be removed from existence.

R?r 911

These type of mangers need to be removed from existence.

I disagree.

Employers shouldn't have to be social workers any more than paramedics should have to be firemonkeys.

A very wise bumper sticker philosopher says, "poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

These issues should be thoroughly considered and reconciled by the prospective mother well before she gets herself knocked up. You don't just choose to have a baby at a poor time in your life and blame the inconvenience on your employer. Unless, of course, the employer is also the father. :lol:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.