E.M.S. and ego's

notsobrite

Has anybody noticed that there are providers out there that are just in it for the ego boost? I mean I look around and I recently quit a squad because all the officers were using the squad for that reason. But looking back I really miss that squad. Not the Ego maniacs but the real people. I was just wondering if it is in the small town that I live in that patient care is sacrificed and the patient at time is endangered b-c of ego maniacs and if so is it worth leaving because they are heading down a road that might cost them their licenses. I was just wondering how some people can get like that... It really bothers me as a junior member. I was just wondering if anybody deals with egos on a daily basis and says that staying at a corrupt organization is worth it...

746[/font:5914ccc531]

Has anybody noticed that there are providers out there that are just in it for the ego boost? I mean I look around and I recently quit a squad because all the officers were using the squad for that reason. But looking back I really miss that squad. Not the Ego maniacs but the real people. I was just wondering if it is in the small town that I live in that patient care is sacrificed and the patient at time is endangered b-c of ego maniacs and if so is it worth leaving because they are heading down a road that might cost them their licenses. I was just wondering how some people can get like that... It really bothers me as a junior member. I was just wondering if anybody deals with egos on a daily basis and says that staying at a corrupt organization is worth it...

746[/font:2d033d36fb]

Notsobrite, you will find them everywhere. In fact, there is even a name for them, it is whacker, wanker, pick your favorite. Unfortunately, your former squad is not alone in being infiltrated by the dreaded whacker. I'm willing to wager that the "officers" had more lights on their POV than on the ambulance.

I commend you in walking, no, running away from that situation. I can assure you, you most likely made a wise discission.

Notsobrite, I've had the same problem.

The squad I currently run in, and the surrounding area actually, is full of people who seem to really only care about promoting themselves rather than quality patient care. I could go on at lengths about how this subject bugs me, but it has probably been talked about ad nauseum.

My advice, don't quit a squad simply because of a few bad eggs. Go there to do what you came to do, help people. If others seem to be using it as a stepping stone, it's unfortunate, but as long as it doesn't effect you or your care, then good for you.

The people who are simply in this for the ego boost, usually die out fairly quickly. In my experience, you hardly get a thank you from anyone, and those who are in it solely for the boost will probably fizzle or burn out quickly.

No, I've never noticed, not ever. And Rid, one of the kindest, most down to earth people I have ever met was a neurosurgeon. That's why I can safely say when someone is being all high and mighty "I've met neurosurgeons who are more down to earth than you are." Anyway, Notsobrite, if its any consolation, the ego factor tends to be more of a hinderence in the volunteer sector. This is why, besides my old volunteer Fire Department which was a bunch of working class shlubs, I've never done a day of volunteer work in my life. Somehow once people reach the level where they can actually collect a paycheck for their abilities, they tend to come down off their high horse because they have less to prove. That at least has been my experience.

One of the nicest persons I ever met was a world renown EMS supporter and trauma/neurosurgeon Dr. Shea. As well as I have several surgeon friends, but over-all surgeons and a few other are known for their egotistical attitudes. Sometimes it is ego (being top in class, residency requirements, etc..) I used it as a general classification.

We have all seen inflated ego's

R/r 911

I dunno mate, I’ve meet some really highly paid professional paramedics who if their ego was any bigger they’d pop and their egoness would splatter every were.

I do agree that volley services tend to have more ego but at the same time so do professional paid paramedics.

Depending on how high the ego meter tips is to how I would react to the situation, most of the time I laugh in their face and tell them to get over them selves – they hate that!

Also my service is full of ego and powerhungryness. Instead of racing to help a patient it’s a race to the commander vest then a slow I’ve got attitude, look at my with my commander vest walk to not help the patient but to make them selves look like wankers. I’ve even had a guy rock up and say “it’s ok I’m here”

Id just like to point out that vefore you label people as having an "ego" trip, just have a good look first an make sure what you think is "ego" is not them being good at, experienced and confident in their job and you feeling inadequate. Im not saying this is the case, but this happens to many people.

People attribute the term "ego trip" to many people here on this site, when its not ego they are reading on the screen but experience and education instead of ignorance and one-upmanship that they percieve.

If this is not the case than they are just tossers! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.