You call 911, Señor? Can I help... Wait! Are you a citizen?

Michael

Vehicle seizure is always a heavy issue. Here in New York City, if illegal recreational pharmaceuticals are found, the vehicle can be seized, even if it is the passenger who is in possesion.

We actually had a small Winnebago camper seized due to a passenger being caught "holding". The vehicle became a "Field-Com" (a field communications/ field command post) for the NYC EMS prior to the merger into the FDNY.

There have also been a lot of "Daddy-lacs" and rental vehicles seized, where out of towners come into neighborhoods that have the problem of drug sales to buy, many of them are caught by the LEOs impersonating the drug sellers.

Sidenote #1: The person caught holding the drugs was actually judged not guilty of charges, but the city refused to give the camper back to the owner. FDNY still uses it as a field-com.

Sidenote #2: A "Daddy-lac" is the nickname of big luxury cars owned by the rich drug buyer's parents, usually a Cadillac, hence the name.

Wouldn't there be a problem with unreasonable seizure if the city kept a motorhome when the defendant was acquitted?

Since when did legal theory have anything to do with how it actually works in the judicial system? :lol:

I'd say that, after paying for the lawyer to get out of the drug bust, there was no money left for a lawyer to fight for the vehicle.

It is a constitutional issue still under discussion.

The NYPD's highway patrol has at least 2 "muscle cars" seized from drivers using city streets as drag strips, repainted and used as NYPD patrol cars. Ever seen a Ford Mustang/Shelby GT 500 in NYPD blues, with a light rack? I have. Impressive, both to look at, and watch peel out after the bad guys!

According to the Border Patrol, there is no exemption included in the wording of the law.

The field agents that are enforcing it will give some consideration to EMS providers, but if the patient can communicate with you, there is a very real risk of being detained.

and now we have the ultimate in taxpayer ripoffs in california

If you are illegal, and you work in the citrus industry then you are entitled to unemployment assistance.

WTF where in the heck did we go wrong. You are in here illegally and you get unemployment assistance. I just don't understand this.

if you or I were in mexico illegally working and we were out of a job, could we expect unemployment assistance or some sort of assistance from the Government of Mexico, sure we could expect either a jail cell or a quick trip to the US border.

When are we gonna get tough on this stuff? Until the pantywastes in the US are put away we will continue to funnel millions of dollars to illegals and their kids while bonafide americans get the Shaft with a Capital S

There's got to be a way to hold the people in power accountable other than the voting booth. Maybe a class action lawsuit for all americans(the ones who are in America legally) not the mexican americans who are here "Illegally"

If you are here legally then you should be given some of the rights of citizens but you have to follow the rules.

Now that's just dumb. It says driver has not commited a crime, but in effect you're punishing him by taking his car, without getting to go to court for it. You don't usually impound the car if the PASSENGER has something illegal aboard....though I guess in this case, it's the driver who has contraband aboard :) Still, dumb.

Anthony, if dat was directed at me, as a Noo Yawkah, I take no offense. I have, for years, stated that New York City is a rule unto itself, and if something makes sense, it's probably against the law!

So in respect to those who are hurt and here illegally, it says your not to drive them because if you do, you're vehicle could be seized but, yet the person is seriously bleeding. Ok common sense says to call an ambulance, what if this person is working illegally ppl are going to get caught either way, so I see where they are coming from.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.