I missed this lesson in paramedic school & the fire acad

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcs....ID=200670112002

Video shows firefighter kicking Portland man

Associated Press

January 12, 2007

PORTLAND, Ore. — Firefighters forced a 48-year-old Portland man to the ground and kicked him during a confrontation captured on surveillance tapes.

The tapes, recorded from cameras placed in the lobby of the Fairfield Apartments in southwest Portland, show a tenant, Terry DeGeorge, arguing with firefighters and paramedics before being wrestled to the ground.

While he was being held down by two firefighters and a paramedic, another firefighter kicked him three times. The Oregonian newspaper, which obtained the video Thursday, posted the footage on its affiliated Web site early Friday.

DeGeorge said he suffered a swollen wrist, a bruised forearm and abrasions on his face. “It was animalistic behavior,” said DeGeorge, whose apartment manager provided him with a copy of the video.

The video does not include sound. Lt. Allen Oswalt, a spokesman for the Portland Fire Bureau, said there would be a more complete picture of what happened if viewers could hear DeGeorge scream profanities.

“He was being very aggressive, in your face kind of stuff,” Oswalt told The Oregonian. “Our firefighters felt threatened.”

Oswalt said the bureau likely would ask the police to investigate the incident, which happened shortly after midnight on Thursday.

DeGeorge said he was angry because he was awakened by a commotion in the lobby of the apartment that is home to roughly 80 low-income residents.

“I spoke loudly,” DeGeorge said. “I was in a negative state. My vibes were not good.”

But DeGeorge said firefighters should not have gotten rough. “Two wrongs don’t make a right. Instead of trying to calm me down by talking to me, they jumped me.”

DeGeorge said he’s not sure if he will file a complaint.

DeGeorge’s neighbors say he has a temper and can be belligerent. But Koddy Hart, who saw the confrontation from a couch in the lobby, said DeGeorge did not take a swing at the firefighters.

“The way they handled it was totally wrong,” said Hart, whose call for medical help prompted the visit from firefighters and paramedics.

AK, I added the youtube in your post - Admin

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Koddy Hart, who saw the confrontation from a couch in the lobby, said DeGeorge did not take a swing at the firefighters.

He didn't get a chance to, haha!

I didn't learn that lesson in medic school, the fire academy, or the police academy. I learned it at the school of hard knocks!

Always be the first to strike!

Good for them! :thumbright:

Self defense is fine. I was referring to the lesson where you kick him three times while three other coworkers are restraining him on the ground.

Reports state he was being threatening and agressive. In all my years, when this occurs I have done one of two things.

1. Got in my truck and left while notifying PD, dispatch and supervisor.

2. Walk away, leave the patient alone until PD arrives.

I have never taken a patient down without police presence. I have been forced into bad situations by a psych patient where I had to defend myself but never have I attempted a takedown,especially whent he option of walking away is there.

MA1- My Ass First!

This applies to life, safety, health and career. Why risk losing any of these when a simple walk away will suffice?

It will be interesting to see how this turn out.

The best defence is a good offence!

First rule of effective self-defence is to never let yourself be on the defensive.

Strike first.

Strike fast.

Strike hard.

Strike often.

Then it will be time for you to leave the temple. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.