The boy with the blue hands

ERDoc

Excellent one Doc.

I think I know exactly what this is and I think everyone is digging a little too deep in the pocket of their brains to come up with this diagnosis.

I will pm you my diagnosis so as to keep the thread alive but I have seen this condition before.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent one Doc.

I think I know exactly what this is and I think everyone is digging a little too deep in the pocket of their brains to come up with this diagnosis.

I will pm you my diagnosis so as to keep the thread alive but I have seen this condition before.

:thumbleft:

You get the pt to the hospital and the astute PA that sees him immediately takes an alcohol wipe and rubs of the dye from the pts new pair of blue jeans. Actually had this pt the other night (although he did not come in by ambulance). Good case to remind you to think of the simple things first. Good differentials though.

Excellent thread doc.

The key indicators for me was the blueness cut off at the wrists. No associated pain or coolness. 12 year old boys frequently put their hands in their pockets (actually boys of all ages for some reason, my son demonstrates this a lot). Blue jeans especially the cheaper brands which are best to buy for little boys who tear them up too easy, seem to have excess dye that comes off very easily. If you put your hand in your pocket, the cutoff point would be the wrist and the reason the palms were not blue as well is because they go where the cotton part(undyed) part of the pocket is. The top of the hands and the fingers would actually be rubbing against the dyed jean material.

You guys came up with some deep thoughts but as the doc said...keep it simple and remember to think outside the box.

Hint: I was hoping by me saying you were digging too deep in your pockets would give you a clue...lol.